Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a couple of other websites, people are already swearing that those poor helpless bikers were set up by the police.
If anyone going to Shark Week believes anything like that, please respond to this post. I don't plan on going on my dream vacation, and listening to any conspiracy theory nuts. I would just assume cancel my reservations.

This is America so you can have whatever opinion you wish- but respect my desire not to have to listen to any more police haters. So if any cop haters are going, please let me know so we don't clash.

Thank you,
Mark
36 year law enforcement veteran

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I don't think that will be a problem, but with 200ish people there you will get opinions that range from a police setup to a Klingon invasion.

If you hear someone spewing shit...walk away :) I guarantee it will be the most down to earth friendly even you have ever attended.

See ya in a few weeks.

D.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Mark, you're a SW newbie. I don't have any idea if, or how many, of the other attendees you already know, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the group of people you'll find when you arrive in Kerrville.
It's been discussed here many times, the people that attend SW are a special group(some FAR more special than others :)) that are gathering together with a couple common interests. The interest is riding motorcycles, specifically Road Glides, and commraderie with others with the same interest, and it's like nothing else matters for the entire week.

I seriously doubt the Waco incident will even come up other than in casual conversation, and I REALLY doubt any of the conspiracy BS will come up.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Judging from he past, this is always as true a vacation as anything I ever done. Conversations you're likely to have or hear are more about chrome, paint, stereo's, or wheels. If not it's where are we riding, or eating, or possible about beer. We tend to just have fun. Come and enjoy, you'll show up every year from then on.

·
Super Moderator
5,847 Posts
Like others have said, SW is nothing like youve ever experienced. If you think your going to 'just another rally', you are in for a HUGE surprise. :D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I don't think that will be a problem, but with 200ish people there you will get opinions that range from a police setup to a Klingon invasion.

If you hear someone spewing shit...walk away :) I guarantee it will be the most down to earth friendly even you have ever attended.

See ya in a few weeks.

D.
+1 on just walking away if someone is spewing shit or what you assume to be shit. You will meet some of the best people on two wheels and it's unlike any 'bike rally' you've ever been to often referred to as an 'asshole free zone' :D:eek::D

BTW Dan, and I'm sure it will be confirmed at SW, the Klingons had no prior knowledge of what was about to happen in Waco and had just dropped in at Twin Peaks to enjoy some wings, beer and 'scenery' when the whole thing went down :eek:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
BTW baldwookie, I doubt you'll be the only LEO there as well as a good number of EMT'S and firefighters!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You will meet some of the best people on two wheels and it's unlike any 'bike rally' you've ever been to often referred to as an 'asshole free zone' :D:eek::D
You mean I've gotten in to all 4 of them, so far, and nobody noticed? :D

BTW baldwookie, I doubt you'll be the only LEO there as well as a good number of EMT'S and firefighters!
And one who's daughter is now married to a LEO.

Now, we just need to keep the cops and firefighters from starting a brouhaahaa. :eek:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've only been to 1 Shark Week, (can't make this year), but just from that 1 week experience I now have many new friends around the country. Real friends, ones that will have you back. NOT in a fight, or anything crazy like that, but have your back as in will ride with you or even put you up for the night if you happen to be in their area. I'm headed out to Canada this weekend to see my buddy BrokenArrow and HotRodDad may even try to show up. Last weekend I rode with JrBean. These are all people I met from SWIV!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
After reading a couple of other websites, people are already swearing that those poor helpless bikers were set up by the police.
If anyone going to Shark Week believes anything like that, please respond to this post. I don't plan on going on my dream vacation, and listening to any conspiracy theory nuts. I would just assume cancel my reservations.

This is America so you can have whatever opinion you wish- but respect my desire not to have to listen to any more police haters. So if any cop haters are going, please let me know so we don't clash.

Thank you,
Mark
36 year law enforcement veteran
My personal experience has taught me that if I go into a situation with the anticipation or expectation to have an issue or confrontation (the proverbial "chip" on my shoulder), it seems to happen more frequently.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,822 Posts
Just go and enjoy yourself. It will be a blast. Don't go expecting or looking for trouble and chances are it won't find you. I was a co-host of last year's event (my first SW) and as such had first hand knowledge of everything that went on and I interacted with most everyone in attendance. A nicer group of folks would be extremely hard to find. Everyone checks their biases at 'the gate' and comes to have a good time and meet other RG riders. There are no cops, 1%-ers, or bad asses. No rich or poor. No black or white. Just a large group of terrific folks looking forward to a fun week of interacting with both old and new friends. Enjoy yourself, I'm sure wishing I could make it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Just go and enjoy yourself. It will be a blast. Don't go expecting or looking for trouble and chances are it won't find you. I was a co-host of last year's event (my first SW) and as such had first hand knowledge of everything that went on and I interacted with most everyone in attendance. A nicer group of folks would be extremely hard to find. Everyone checks their biases at 'the gate' and comes to have a good time and meet other RG riders. There are no cops, 1%-ers, or bad asses. No rich or poor. No black or white. Just a large group of terrific folks looking forward to a fun week of interacting with both old and new friends. Enjoy yourself, I'm sure wishing I could make it.
Very well said!

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Food, don't forget the food, that's part of the fun also, lol. Looking forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This Gathering of like minded folks is unique. This is not like a rally, more like a reunion of sorts. Having a great time is a certainty. Road Gliders from all over the US and Canada.
Getting SHORT

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
This Gathering of like minded folks is unique. This is not like a rally, more like a reunion of sorts. Having a great time is a certainty. Road Gliders from all over the US and Canada.
Getting SHORT
"Roadgliders and others :eek:

(the contingent of non RG's seems to get a little bigger each year)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate the reassurances! I sorta figured that would be the case, just from the pleasant responses usually written on this forum. Probably should not have even had the concern at all, but after reading some things from some other road glide areas- I was shocked.

Cant wait to get there and meet everyone!

Thanks
Mark

1 - 20 of 31 Posts