Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Please take a moment to visit our webpage pitch for hosting SWVI in Canada in 2016.

www.swvi-Canada.org

Happy New Year and I'll see you in Texas in June.

Calgaryglide

·
Super Moderator
12,753 Posts
Nice, I see you're doing your homework and starting early. The views look lovely. Once you get the actual hotel and approximate cost, that info would be nice to know. I'm definetly not counting it out. :) Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to Canada!

Nice job Troy. Your website will help get the information out to our guests! I like the FAQ's and especially the Canadian words you should get to know under the More Information tab. Great job!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice! will be watching this site.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I personally would not vote for Canada until they change their gun laws. I like to carry when I ride.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Well done website!!!! People who haven't ridden in Canada have no idea what they've missed. I'd support a Calgary Shark Week just to get to ride through Banff/Lake Louise again. My only issue is a planned trip to Australia in September 2016 riding 16 days across the outback on a dirt bike. While saving to afford both trips is possible, getting time off work for both is highly questionable. Either way, not knowing the other potential sites, Calgary would get my vote.

I personally would not vote for Canada until they change their gun laws. I like to carry when I ride.
Would you not go if Canada wins? That would be a real shame.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well done website!!!! People who haven't ridden in Canada have no idea what they've missed. I'd support a Calgary Shark Week just to get to ride through Banff/Lake Louise again. My only issue is a planned trip to Australia in September 2016 riding 16 days across the outback on a dirt bike. While saving to afford both trips is possible, getting time off work for both is highly questionable. Either way, not knowing the other potential sites, Calgary would get my vote.

Would you not go if Canada wins? That would be a real shame.
I sure hope you plan on filming the Outback trip. I offer you my Go Pro as a spare or backup if needed. Would like to see it if you do.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For anyone interested in carrying their gun with them on the way to Canada, you can inquire about storage of your gun in Great Falls, Montana. There are several Federally Licensed Firearm dealers in that city. Also you can store your weapon in any Bank Safe Deposit Box. If you are arriving from the west, Spokane, Washington or Couer d Alene, idaho would be major cities you would go through before entering Canada.

I cannot stress enough how safe Canada is. Our crime rate is very low, unless you intentionally go looking for trouble you are going to be perfectly safe travelling Canada from Coast to Coast.

As long as you are not involved in the illicit drug trade, human smuggling or prostitution you probably won't even see any members of any well known outlaw M/Cs while you are in Canada. There isn't any part of any city in Canada that I feel the need to travel with a handgun.

Please remember that the street goes both ways. Those of us in Canada that can carry weapons cannot travel with those weapons to the U.S. No Canadian citizen can carry a handgun openly or concealed for personal protection while in the U.S. Why would you expect anything other than reciprocity when travelling outside of the U.S. into Canada?

The fact that I cannot legally possess or carry a handgun while I travel to the U.S. does not stop me from visiting your country. I travel to the U.S quite often in fact for business and for pleasure I own a house in Phoenix and my family travels there several times a year. I do business with a few American companies in Houston, Denver and Miami. I do a couple of fly n ride vactions each year to destinations in the U.S.

Please have an open mind and vote to come and experience what we have to offer in places to see and things to do.

You won't regret it.

Calgaryglide.

Reactions: Brent376

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Site is great. Nice layout. Also nice to have the dates listed.
But having the dates as August 2,3, and 4, 2016 makes the trip to Canada not possible.
As 2016 is the 50th Anniversary of the Star Trek Franchise, The Star Trek Convention is a "Must Attend" (For me).
It will be held in Las Vegas August 3-7, 2016.

So are the dates "Set in Stone"?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'll bet that the USS Enterprise will be on location in Vegas. I'm sure that you could get them to beam you back and forth. Be sure to tell Scotty "nuqneH" for me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just a thought

First let me say that the Canadian group have done an excellent job with their proposal and website. I traveled to Canada 6 times in 2014 for business. Drove in from Detroit and flew in both. I never felt unsafe and I was in Moncton the week before the shooter incident there. (New Brunswick) But it is expensive compared to US prices. I know money is a concern for many that plan and save for SW.
I think as this forum continues to grow we should consider the need for more than one shark week a year. Be it by region or country or whatever it maybe that would give more people the option to attend and be more affordable. The other thing to consider is if there is a small turnout in Canada or any other SW due to the location and only attendees can vote for the next location then it might stay where it is for another year or so. Just like it has stayed in the US so far. Again, if its in Canada in 2015 I will plan to go as it is beautiful there and I am familiar with the custom procedures and passport in hand. But if a bigger turn out closer to home is an option I would seriously consider that too.
Maybe the Texas group and admins could set aside time to discus more than one SW in years to come. That way we could have more choices and give more people the opportunity to attend.
That being said, it takes a lot of work to put this together I do realize this. So if no one is willing to do that and Canada is then they should get the chance to do so. I have said it before, if there were better roads to ride on here in Central Alabama and even more motorcycle friendly business here I would consider a proposal but there aren't and I would hate to only have great weather as an option to propose.
Just something to consider.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shark Week Canada

Hi!

Just read the comments regarding a gathering in Calgary. Great idea.I live in Calgary and yes the mountain scenery around here is great. Those that are hesitant to come up here because they can't carry, well the gun law won't be changed and so far we've been lucky enough not to need to carry guns. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is an invasion of a part of our right of freedom, however, we've made it work. The riding is well worth the inconvenience. Leave your guns at the border because if you get caught here the penalty is severe.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nice Job on the website. I've been thinking of attending Shark Week for some time and having it the week before Sturgis is a good idea for those who want to attend both rallies.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Folks,

1. The dates are 90% set at the moment. Mainly because of the Sturgis Rally being the week after. This allows for folks coming from all over the U.S. to have the option of killing two birds with one vacation.
2. Canada is expensive. Yes it is more expensive for Food, Fuel, Alcohol and Tobacco. The bonus at the moment is that the Canadian dollar is weaker than the U.S. dollar by 12-15%. That means your U.S. dollar goes farther up here in Canada right now. I cannot predict that it will remain at that premium but I do not forsee it going over par and reversing by 2016. Most likely it will stay in the 9-11% range.
3. Future Shark Weeks, VII, VIII and IX; i am confident that if Canada does win the vote that Shark Week will return to the U.S. after SW VI. How can I be confident, for the very reasons that the riding population of Roadglide.org will come up with great locations somewhere in the Smoky Mountians or even further south in Georgia or N.W. Arkansas and Northern California/Nevada area, N.W. Montana/N. Idaho. I really think that if Calgary/Canmore/Banff is voted in, it would be several years before a Canadian location were to win the vote again.
4. The main organizers of SWIV were not even in attendance at SWIII. They had a proxy in Workman, deliver the presentation. It has been successful once, there is no reason that the bidders for SWVII cannot do the same thing.

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
Charlotte 2017 RG Special
440 Posts
Great job on the site all.
Calgary is a great place to host an event such as this.
Count me as a yes.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts