Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your Shark Week VIII organizers have a few recommended rides that you might find of interest. In this thread we'll post the six or seven rides that folks seem most interested in. The links will open the Harley Ride Planner application (which is much improved over past versions) where you can see the rides, download gpx files for those that interest you and you can also download directly to your phone now too. We'll give you some basic information in text regarding length, time, and ratings and the details will be on the Ride Planner pages.

Shark Week Ride 1 - San Juan Scenic Byway

Rank - AAA

If you do nothing else during your visit to Shark Week VIII you owe it to yourself to ride the 232 mile loop from Durango, up over Lizard Head Pass (where you’ll reach an elevation of almost two miles), into Telluride, where you can capture the iconic image displayed in the banner for this group, over to Ridgeway, and through Ouray, Silverton, and back down to Durango via the Million Dollar Highway. It is truly one of the most spectacular rides you can experience on two wheels, and if you miss this, you might as well not make the trip to Durango. Really!!

It’s an all-day ride, ranging from five to seven hours, depending on how many stops you make - and we think you’ll want to stop often to take photographs, selfies, or just gawk at the fantastic beauty. Telluride makes a good stop for lunch (go on into the down-to-earth town itself, rather than the hoity toity Mountain Village), and be sure to get a few photos while in town. It’s a bit of a back track to get back on course, only 15 miles or so, but well worth it.

If you’re a John Wayne fan, you may prefer to hold off on lunch until you get over to Ridgeway where you can visit the True Grit Cafe, the legendary location where Marshall Rooster Cogburn flexed his muscle, throwing one ruffian through the front window. The cafe houses all kinds of John Wayne memorabilia and artifacts from the movie. Alternately, there are even more places for lunch down the highway in Ouray.

If you’re not doing the train ride you’ll want to stop in Silverton - maybe buy a Harley shirt from the world’s highest T-shirt shop. Even if you are doing the train ride you might want to stop. From Silverton you’ll ride the iconic Million Dollar Highway (U.S. 550) back to Durango, a truly breathtaking experience.

Click below to view and/or download the route.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map/rides/XN0vF0vCP/preview

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Mmm. What altitude starts to bother us sea level folks? My two weeks of work in NM should be between 4300 - 9000 feet so maybe I will be somewhat acclimated.

Is there a preferred direction to ride the loop? I prefer to pull off to the right if possible when stopping at scenic overlooks and such.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmm. What altitude starts to bother us sea level folks? My two weeks of work in NM should be between 4300 - 9000 feet so maybe I will be somewhat acclimated.

Is there a preferred direction to ride the loop? I prefer to pull off to the right if possible when stopping at scenic overlooks and such.
Your time in NM should be good enough. Durango itself is at 6500 feet. The ride up into the mountains didn't cause me any problems and I live about 50 feet above sea level - for what that's worth.

As for direction, the clockwise direction is more of a thrill as you'll see the peaks looming in front of you as you come down from Ridgeway - plus there's no guardrail on the right side of the Million Dollar Highway. That might not fit your desire to pull off to the right, but pulling off to the right works out better as you head up and over Lizard Head pass. Really, you can't lose going in either direction.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mesa Verde National Park Tour

Shark Week Ride 2 - Mesa Verde National Park Tour

Rank - A

This half-day 120 mile round trip journey will take you through the Mesa Verde National Park, which features some of the most fascinating and well preserved ancestral Pueblo cliff dwellings anywhere. You’ll want to allow two to three hours to ride through the park, more if you decide to take one of the several tours that are offered. You won’t be traveling at speeds anywhere near those offered on Highway 550, but the twisties might compare favorably. There are many overlooks where you’ll want to stop and take in the views and absorb the rich history of the area.

This is a National Park, so be sure to bring your National Park passes if you have them. If not, be prepared to pay $15 for each bike (at last report).

If you have any interest in going to the Four Corners monument, that is another 50 miles or so beyond the park. The ride to Four Corners from here is not a real interesting or scenic ride to be honest, but if Four Corners is on your bucket list, then by all means feel free to make the trip.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map/rides/XTnsH5zjF/preview

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your Shark Week VIII organizers have a few recommended rides that you might find of interest. In this thread we'll post the six or seven rides that folks seem most interested in. The links will open the Harley Ride Planner application (which is much improved over past versions) where you can see the rides, download gpx files for those that interest you and you can also download directly to your phone now too. We'll give you some basic information in text regarding length, time, and ratings and the details will be on the Ride Planner pages.

Shark Week Ride 1 - San Juan Scenic Byway

Rank - AAA

If you do nothing else during your visit to Shark Week VIII you owe it to yourself to ride the 232 mile loop from Durango, up over Lizard Head Pass (where you’ll reach an elevation of almost two miles), into Telluride, where you can capture the iconic image displayed in the banner for this group, over to Ridgeway, and through Ouray, Silverton, and back down to Durango via the Million Dollar Highway. It is truly one of the most spectacular rides you can experience on two wheels, and if you miss this, you might as well not make the trip to Durango. Really!!

It’s an all-day ride, ranging from five to seven hours, depending on how many stops you make - and we think you’ll want to stop often to take photographs, selfies, or just gawk at the fantastic beauty. Telluride makes a good stop for lunch (go on into the down-to-earth town itself, rather than the hoity toity Mountain Village), and be sure to get a few photos while in town. It’s a bit of a back track to get back on course, only 15 miles or so, but well worth it.

If you’re a John Wayne fan, you may prefer to hold off on lunch until you get over to Ridgeway where you can visit the True Grit Cafe, the legendary location where Marshall Rooster Cogburn flexed his muscle, throwing one ruffian through the front window. The cafe houses all kinds of John Wayne memorabilia and artifacts from the movie. Alternately, there are even more places for lunch down the highway in Ouray.

If you’re not doing the train ride you’ll want to stop in Silverton - maybe buy a Harley shirt from the world’s highest T-shirt shop. Even if you are doing the train ride you might want to stop. From Silverton you’ll ride the iconic Million Dollar Highway (U.S. 550) back to Durango, a truly breathtaking experience.

Click below to view and/or download the route.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map/rides/XN0vF0vCP/preview
Would you please dates and location of rally. My wife and I both own sharks and are interested
Thank you

·
Registered
376 Posts
On Shark Week III the rides were somewhat organized. We would meet in the morning and take off together. Is that kind of organization happening this time? Do us Sharkers need to connect before we ride? That is what is fun...going in a group of 30 or so.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
We are looking forward to meeting everyone and get some rides in. These 2 rides should be a blast.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Very happy for all y'all; wish I could make it this year, just not gonna happen.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Would you please dates and location of rally. My wife and I both own sharks ....
Tim
the Natl Road Glide Rally runs from July 31 thru August 3
location is Durango, Colorado
i'm sure that rooms can still be had if you & the missus want to make the run
........ a good time is guaranteed for all.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you please dates and location of rally. My wife and I both own sharks and are interested
Thank you
Here is the announcement of this year's Shark Week:
https://www.roadglide.org/57-road-glide-gathering/333042-shark-week-viii-dates.html

Here is the info regarding hotels. There have been a few late cancellations lately so some rooms are opening up.
https://www.roadglide.org/57-road-glide-gathering/334802-sw8-durango-booking-information.html

And here is the registration sheet that we need if you do end up being able to make it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c46ZR12zNZwxtRph2sK3HWGNPRz1jjkbPO-8_rLt3Y4/edit#gid=0

Hope you can make it. You'll end up meeting a whole bunch of cool friends that you never knew you had!

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On Shark Week III the rides were somewhat organized. We would meet in the morning and take off together. Is that kind of organization happening this time? Do us Sharkers need to connect before we ride? That is what is fun...going in a group of 30 or so.
We've kind of gotten away from that concept at the Shark Week gatherings - for a number of reasons. There are no official organized rides being led, but experience has shown that groups kind of form up impromptu and head out to a location of their choosing. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a group to ride with.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shark Week Ride 3 - Black Canyon Run

Ride 3 - Black Canyon Run

Rank - AA

This is an all day ride that will take you up the Million Dollar Highway, on up to Montrose, over through Cimarron, and then up to HIghway 92, where the real fun begins. Described by some as the most exhilarating ride in all of Colorado (think about that!) You’ll experience the greatest variety of scenery on this ride, pastures, aspen groves, and twisties through elevation changes that will have your altimeter doing cartwheels. The ten mile stretch where you’ll experience stunning views down into the Black Canyon features sheer drop-offs with no guard rail. Not for the faint of heart!

It’s a long ride, almost 200 miles one-way and once you reach Crawford, you can either elect to turn around and retrace your steps back to Durango or you can take the slightly less exciting continuation along Highway 92 over the Highway 550, and back down to Durango through Montrose.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map/rides/cN93VdrjF/preview

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
We've kind of gotten away from that concept at the Shark Week gatherings - for a number of reasons. There are no official organized rides being led, but experience has shown that groups kind of form up impromptu and head out to a location of their choosing. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a group to ride with.
Last year was my first Shark Week. Meet people on Sunday and Monday and find like minded riders to ride with, or just ride and socialize at the stops. There are going to be fast riders and slow riders. Riders who stop a lot and riders who ride, ride, ride.

Personally, I am not a large group rider. Especially on curvy scenic roads. Too much can go wrong when people try and ride closely gathered.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you for the maps. Those were the exact trips I am planning to take while there on Wednesday and Thursday. Looking forward to meeting fellow riders and enjoying time just riding and socializing.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shark Week Ride 4 - Chimney Rock/Pagosa Springs

Shark Week Ride 4 - Chimney Rock/Pagosa Springs

Ranking - B

If you’ve had your fill of mountains and twisties and you just want a nice little relaxing and scenic half day ride, why not head east of Durango and go see the Chimney Rock National Monument? This is about a 100 mile, two hour round trip.

There are a couple of ways to get there, either via highway 160, or down highway 72 to highway 151, though Arboles. Hint: Take the latter. Highway 160 is pretty crowded this time of year, and although there are some passing points, you’re likely to find yourself trailing the dreaded Cruise America rental RV at at least a few points during the journey. If you take the alternative, you’ll head through the Southern Ute Reservation, over through Arboles, and then you’ll travel through a river valley to Chimney Rock. You can then opt to head back to Durango via Highway 160, or turn around and retrace your route, where you’ll catch some nice views of the La Plata mountains as you head into Durango.

Alternatively, you can head over to the town of Pagosa Springs, an hour away, where you’ll find the world’s deepest geothermal hot spring, which could be a welcome break if all of that riding has left you sore and cranky. There are another couple of hot springs facilities in town, and you might want to stop for lunch at Tequila’s and take in the pool and river activities.

On your way back, if you choose to take 160, a visit to the Bottom Shelf Brewery might be in order to help replenish those lost fluids. Try their unique baked deviled eggs!

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map/rides/XBvaXhsgP/preview

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shark Week Ride 5 - Monument Valley

Shark Week Ride 5 - Monument Valley

Rank - C-

Some Shark Week attendees have expressed a desire to make the trip to Monument Valley. Right off the bat, we want to be clear that we do not recommend this as one of the day trips during Shark Week. It is a long, boring ride that’s about as exciting as a three dollar bus tour of Kansas. It’s actually a neat place, but it’s a 320 mile, six hour round trip - and that’s if you don’t bother stopping anywhere along the way. Your chances of getting back to town in time to make the evening activities are virtually nil. Our suggestion is to try to work in your visit before or after Shark Week. With that, here goes:

Monument Valley is certainly on the bucket list for anyone who has a desire to experience the true American Southwest. The famous buttes have been the setting and inspiration for paintings, photos, and movies, many featuring John Wayne. To get the most out of your visit you’ll want to take one of the tours operated by the host Navajo Nation personnel. A 17 mile scenic drive via your own vehicle is available, but the road is all dirt and let’s face it, our Road Glides are not exactly suitable for such off road activity. Plus it’s at least a two hour trip.

To capture the iconic view with the long straight (and often empty) road with the monuments on the horizon, you need to come in from the north heading south on highway 163 from Mexican Hat (also worth a stop).

On the way back, if you want to do the loop, you’ll have the chance to stop by the Four Corners Monument. Be warned that the parking lots for both of these tourist attractions are gravel.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/map/rides/cYCIVDJxP/preview

1 - 20 of 22 Posts