Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Depends on your schedule. People don't like to ride with me because I tend to go long for days in a row. Or, it could be that I'm just an asshole. I've been told both. :cool: I got to Fairbanks from Texas in six days last time and I camped all the way up after I crossed into Canada, and then all the way back home. Staying in hotels up there is super costly and you never know how far you will want to ride on any given day. The further north you get, the more daylight you get and the last thing you want to do is stop and try to sleep when British Columbia, the Yukon Territory, and Alaska are out there just waiting to awe, inspire, and challenge you. I just continually had to see what was over that next mountain pass. Finding a place to camp in the wild, establishing your spot, and waking up there the next day is a primal thing that is hard to beat and never forgotten. Yes, camping is harder - setting up and tearing down camp every day. But this is Alaska and everything about Alaska is hard at first and you get better at it each day. The key is to pack super light. The other key is to NOT pack food. Your food will make you bear food.

It's not that I want to dictate a pace and be a hard ass. I just that I'm not retired, so my time is limited. Also, a trip like this can be costly and some wives might consider it a selfish endeavor for a family man to do alone. The more days you're out there, the more money you (or at least I) have to save. My plan is to determine a pace from Fairbanks to Tahoe and then work backwards from there on a departure date from Texas. I've ridden solo from Fairbanks to Seattle before and I've ridden down 101 from WA to San Diego, but that was two-up and more stops were required than would have been if I were solo. I just need to think back on those trips, do the math, and commit to a plan. I recommend anyone attempting a ride like this start planning and saving now. I have to save for trips like this. Making a plan is key. Professing that plan publicly is a way to become accountable and actually pull it off.

Experiencing Alaska on a motorcycle was a thrill and a major feeling of accomplishment. Remembering my ride into the Arctic Circle park and pulling up to the sign still gives me goosebumps. I would love to share that experience and help others know that feeling. We need more members in the Road Glide Circle Jerks club.

I'm open to discuss and am glad to offer suggestions and advice.that would be a good shake down for a new bike-i don't have any advice except go for it View attachment 416568

View attachment 416569

·
Administrator
10,733 Posts
Well if I could get four or five weeks off consecutive I'd be in Wills Point ready to roll , I get five a year , but middle of summer , be near impossible to get them consecutively .. Aint skeered of long days and bears , be nice still if Canada let me carry a hand cannon tho' , gots my elephant rifle , but I'd have to have a trailer since it's not a break down rifle ..

Now if I hadda retired last year like I planned 48 years ago when I started working ... Two more years ...

But alas I digress ..

Scott your were gone what three weeks or so wasn't it ?? I forget , but I still hit vimeo ever so often ..

AK by scooter will happen again I promise ..

JtB

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
be nice still if Canada let me carry a hand cannon tho' , gots my elephant rifle , but I'd have to have a trailer since it's not a break down rifle ..
I pondered that too. I do not like riding unarmed. There was just no way to carry through Canada and the punishment for getting caught sneaking one in is too risky. They didn't even allow mace or pepper spray unless it was specifically labeled "Bear Spray" I brought two cans of Raid Wasp/Hornet killer with a 30 foot spray stream. No law against that, but the form factor doesn't exactly facilitate a quick draw and target acquisition. I also considered shipping to a FFL in Tok, but then I'd be chained to a schedule to pick it up and return it when the dealer is open.

Scott your were gone what three weeks or so wasn't it ?? I forget , but I still hit vimeo ever so often ..
I believe it was 22 days including two full rest days and a few days I spent goofing off in the Black Hills on my way home. Would have been 21 had I not had an unpluggable flat outside Concordia, KS. I was on a mission to iron butt it home from Sturgis.

I get five vacation weeks a year from IBM. I can take three of them and still have time for a family friendly trip if we decide to take one. This trip would definitely be three full work weeks, plus weekends. Shark week is the first week in July and IBM observes July 4th on Monday, the 5th. I could hit Vegas on the way home! It doesn't allow a lot of touring time, but I usually ride hard to get where I'm going and tour when I get there. In this case, once I hit Canada, the hard ride IS the tour. It's a win/win!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
... but I usually ride hard to get where I'm going and tour when I get there. ...
/\ this..

I've used the same method when riding to the west all three times (Yellowstone, Rt66, & Montana). Right off the bat, ride long and hard...just get to your farthest destination, then you can have leisure rides going back till you have to ride hard to get back home. Like Shrug indicated, make sure you plan for a day off (I do it after I get to my destination) and also calculate for inclement weather (as it does slow you down).

My top bucket list is dipping my feet in the Arctic Ocean,,,so a trip to Deadhorse is definitely in my plan, but I'm waiting till the kid is done with college so I can plan appropriately. I'm hoping no later than 2025.

As for Tahoe, it's up in the air for me. Would love to do it, but I promised my buddies that we would ride to Key West next year (it's a bucket list for one of them) . Don't know if I can swing 2 road trips in one year (without my wife killing me), but I'm a definite for SW12 in Appleton, WI.

·
Administrator
10,733 Posts
yep put the big days up front and run hard , not retired with limited time , it's the only way .. Guy I know in Atlanta ( not a HD , a Yamaha of some sort FJR ? ) rides strait thru to wherever he's going and he's in early 70's , last year he rode from Atlanta to Denver non stop ..

JtB

·
Registered
497 Posts
Gotta see if we can get the PNW peeps in on this, show up en mass. Have zebra and others from the great white north slow down enough for the near Seattle folks to catch up and join in...dreaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m down here in the Bend area and thinking this seems like a no brainer. Wife and I both have the month of July off. May just have to see the SW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I love it. Nice shark in the mountain peak and your bikes in front. Can’t wait.

Thanks for all the work to put this together

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes the host hotel is on the Nevada side. It is the Carson Valley Inn. Group rate registration will be released by October.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Group rate registration will be released by October.
That is why I haven’t made any kind of hotel arrangements. I’m waiting to see what kind of rate, and if I can get a better rate using my own Hotel Rewards account. I did better at the same Hotel in Gettysburg.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I’m waiting to see what kind of rate, and if I can get a better rate using my own Hotel Rewards account. I did better at the same Hotel in Gettysburg.
As a multi-million point Hilton Lifetime Diamond member, I can relate to that. I had a free room reserved .2 miles from the SWX host hotel, but I decided it was important to support the host property given their efforts to support us in light of the Wuhan virus fallout. I also liked not having to suit up to ride back to my room at night. At SWVII, the Hampton Inn shared their parking lot with the Host hotel and attending SW that year was a financial stretch for me; win win.

This year, I don't see any Hilton-owned properties anywhere near SWXI and again, I want to support the host property who is supporting us. Having co-hosted hosted SW myself, I understand the importance.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
As a multi-million point Hilton Lifetime Diamond member, I can relate to that. I had a free room reserved .2 miles from the SWX host hotel, but I decided it was important to support the host property....

SWXI and again, I want to support the host property who is supporting us. Having co-hosted hosted SW myself, I understand the importance.
The host property at SWX was a Wyndham property. So, using my Rewards, I srill got a better deal. I have several Hotel Rewards programs, so checking never hurts.

I didn’t notice it was you Shrug. You know me. Always looking for the deal.

Reactions: Shrug

·
Administrator
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
We realize that folks are on a budget. We have negotiated a great rate with the host hotel. Also a big part of these negotiations now are solid attendance numbers. Hotels are big business, even independent ones like the CVI. We have to provide a minimum number of room nights to secure the rate. There are also legal contracts signed by both parties (hosts and hotel) that are enforceable for penalties ($$$$) if the minimums for room nights are not met. So please, wherever possible book under the group rate information provided when it is released, this helps the numbers and keeps our events whole and costs down for all that attend. The host hotels are always chosen under 3 major criteria;

1. Venue size to host the whole group, this keeps the group together and makes it more fun but also gives the hosts negotiating power for #3
2. Venue services that can be provided such as banquet rooms, meeting space to host the raffle and presentations
3. and lastly the rack rate for a nights stay.

We've never had to introduce a registration fee to cover costs, having everyone together in one hotel and meeting the contract obligations signed between the hosts and the hotel keeps us from having a registration fee.

Calgaryglide, cohost of SW XI.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gotta see if we can get the PNW peeps in on this, show up en mass. Have zebra and others from the great white north slow down enough for the near Seattle folks to catch up and join in...dreaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also in the Bend area. Should be able to get the time off work and we haven't do much riding this year.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts