Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is our sincere hope you and your families are safe and well. I wanted to give you an update on our current state of business and our plans moving forward.
The 2020 Road Glide National Rally is still scheduled to take place on the scheduled dates if at all possible. The situation that we face is very fluid and changes can force decisions to be made. Rest assured that the Road Glide National Rally Board of Directors will keep you updated with any changes as soon as possible.
Our current options at this point are limited to
  • Continue with the event as scheduled
  • Reschedule to a later date this summer
  • Reschedule to 2021 and push Tahoe back to 2022
The Road Glide National Rally store is open and is now taking orders. If this year’s event is canceled all monies will be refunded in a timely manner.
Please feel free to share your thoughts as to help us make a more informed decision

Chris Hutter
Ron Cushing
Tracy Basham
Richard Pittman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
Thanks for the update. Is information available on the latest possible date a decision has to be made on cancellation without causing financial distress?

With a situation this fluid it is very difficult to make decisions, thank you all for your work on these events year after year.

The 2 things that pop into my head are the Road Glide National Store and hotel specifically.
 

·
Shark of the Month October 13
Joined
·
7,620 Posts
I'll support any decision that you make, but under the circumstances I'm leaning towards erring on the side of caution and suggest we postpone SW X to 2021. Beyond the practical considerations of whether or not we would be allowed to have a gathering of more than 10 people by then, restaurants being allowed to serve meals, etc., ..... there's the more important issue of many of our members being currently laid off, furloughed, or otherwise may or may not be getting a paycheck. Or they may own small businesses and are going to be fighting for their financial lives to save their businesses. Also, we have a significant % of our membership who are in the high risk category due to age, compromised health, or a combination of both. It's reality check time, and currently the reality of the situation is mostly unknown but what we do know doesn't portend well for any large group activities happening this summer. I think the smart money is on postponing it for a year.

If you end up postponing it for 2020, perhaps you could make lemonaid from those lemons by creating a comical t-shirt design that deals with the postponement. With the right message it could be a hit within our membership. Use the profits towards the actual 2021 SW X. Just one guy's thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I’m up for whatever the group decides is in the best interest for all... With so much unknown at this moment it’s really hard to think about or plan on anything in the up coming months unfortunately..We as a country and a group will pull through this TOGETHER... Stay safe everyone and get out and ride if possible... GREAT stress relief 🤝
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,280 Posts
fml. i work for the military doing training rotations for soldiers to get ready to deploy. as luck would have it, shark week x was scheduled to fall in between rotations. this would have been our first one and the wife and i are/were really looking forward to going. but, after 21 years in the military, i'm quite well aware of how plans can change in a heartbeat. i may not like it, but i understand it. i will support whatever decision the committee comes to. as uncle fuzzy alluded to, i'm in one of the higher age brackets and my wife is right behind me, and has a compromised immunity system as well, so yeah, don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

and with all the people trying to recover from this, participation may be a little on the low side anyway.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,200 Posts
If you end up postponing it for 2020, perhaps you could make lemonaid from those lemons by creating a comical t-shirt design that deals with the postponement. With the right message it could be a hit within our membership. Use the profits towards the actual 2021 SW X. Just one guy's thoughts.
Can we get some pie with that lemon aid .. We are cutting back to four days next week .. I don't think this is gonna last as long as the fear mongering media says it is .. Cancelling SW might be the wise choice here ..

On the other hand there is a bunch of us who have the week off and maybe we could create a series of nationwide mini SW's .. I been threatnin' to ride down and see Bob and Fuzz and slap Kathleen anyways ..

JtB
 

·
Shark of the Month October 13
Joined
·
7,620 Posts
Can we get some pie with that lemon aid .. We are cutting back to four days next week .. I don't think this is gonna last as long as the fear mongering media says it is .. Cancelling SW might be the wise choice here ..

On the other hand there is a bunch of us who have the week off and maybe we could create a series of nationwide mini SW's .. I been threatnin' to ride down and see Bob and Fuzz and slap Kathleen anyways ..

JtB
I was suspecting it would be the other way around, you were coming to see Kathleen and was gonna slap me and Bob just for the hell of it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
I’m already locked in for the time off and location. So I’ll go somewhere no matter what. Hopefully it’s shark week X.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
I for one have cabin fever and need to get out so I’m for waiting as long as you can before making a decision. If things change and the event can go forward I’m sure many will be ready to ride and get away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
I for one have cabin fever and need to get out so I’m for waiting as long as you can before making a decision. If things change and the event can go forward I’m sure many will be ready to ride and get away.
If its still a go, then I'm going. If not, I'm riding somewhere out of Fla...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
I think things will be back to normal by then but I'm still working. I hope economically, it will be doable for those that were laid off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,115 Posts
I haven't registered yet as I was working full time and caring for my wife. Now that she's gone and I am on unpaid leave indefinitely (Thanks COVID 19), I don't know that I will have any vacation. As such, I may ride up for a day or two at best since I am so close. Postponing it a year would be beneficial for me, but do whatever helps the majority.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Well being at that age where I’m supposedly susceptible (turn 67 in few days or so) along with high BP & Afib I decided it was best to cancel my reservations and be safe rather then sorry. So whether it’s Gettysburg in 2021 or Tahoe I’ll be planning on making that one.
Still going to get out of Florida, been thinking about maybe a cabin in the Ozark’s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,034 Posts
Well being at that age where I’m supposedly susceptible (turn 67 in few days or so) along with high BP & Afib I decided it was best to cancel my reservations and be safe rather then sorry. So whether it’s Gettysburg in 2021 or Tahoe I’ll be planning on making that one.
Still going to get out of Florida, been thinking about maybe a cabin in the Ozark’s.
Some great riding in the Ozark’s.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top