Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of blacking out all the chrome. How do I remove the shift linkage and the perches if that's what they are called. Pic below with red line pointing to what I'm referring to

Tia
Masque

Attachments

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
You will have to remove the inner primary to get the rear shift lever off. It's on a splined shaft with an allen bolt that has to be removed but in order to remove the lever you need to slide it off the shaft and there's no room with the inner primary in place

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rlaf75, sounds a bit complicated. I'll be removing the primary cover to get powder coated I'll see then if it's something I can tackle. If not it stays chrome to give the bike some contrast lol

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Once the outer is off you'll need to take the compensator sprocket, chain and clutch basket off. Then there's a gasket between the crankcase and inner and the inner primary seal on the inner primary and five bolts with o-ring washers that should get replaced too. It believe it or not isn't a bad job but can get alil pricey even doing it yourself. You may just want to tape everything off real good and rattle can spray it if it bothers you that much

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
A lot of replacement linkages come with a cover for the rear lever. You could just do the cover without taking the inner primary off. It's part number 1 on this diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It will come right off without taking anything off. Just loosen the Allen head bolt and slide it off you might have to use a screwdriver to help. I know this cuz mine fell off the other day when I was in Dallas luckily it was still attached in the front and trust me it's no fun putting it back on when your on the side of the highway

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
It will come right off without taking anything off. Just loosen the Allen head bolt and slide it off you might have to use a screwdriver to help. I know this cuz mine fell off the other day when I was in Dallas luckily it was still attached in the front and trust me it's no fun putting it back on when your on the side of the highway
There can't be much room to slide on and off. At least it doesn't look like there's much room

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
There's not but I promise you it will come off guaranteed plus Harley replaced it a few days ago when they replaced my rotors again and they didn't pull anything off. But I swear there is room to slide it off and make sure when you get it off to use a screwdriver and a hammer to spread it apart just a tiny bit or it is almost impossible to get it back on the splines

1 - 13 of 13 Posts