Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my shifter arm slipping off of the rod. I've tightened the screw down as far as I can and it still seems to slide to the end of the rod, barely holding onto the splines. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,835 Posts
Hello Newb,

Need a little more information from you.

What year is your bike and how many miles on it?

So is it the end of the shaft that goes thru the primary and is just below the horn? Depending on the mileage on your bike, your shifting style, you have probably worn both the male and female splines in the connection, especially if the connector seems to keep sliding on the shaft.

The shaft is inexpensive and easy to fix. For a temporary cure until your parts arrive you can zip tie from the front shifter over the top of the primary to the vertical connector that the bolt goes thru. This is a temporary measure to keep you travelling or riding until replacement parts are installed.

When you get the chance to replace the shift shaft I suggest viewing this video linked here for how to do it. Go to the 4:00 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XKOXTvE2hA

Calgaryglide

Reactions: Ibdman21

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15 RGS with 16k miles. I've replaced the arm and shaft once at about 11k. Someone told me it was due to me heal shifting. After I've replaced them, it still slides, but not completely off the shaft.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Common issue. I'm about due to have it happen again. If under warranty, it is a quick fix at the dealer. If not, follow calgaryglide's info as it is spot on.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
The shifting setups on these bikes sucks

I've had to replace mine twice but the last time seems like everything is A OK so far

A simple fix never the less

Swomack

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
When I took my heal kicker off, my problem went away.
Mines been off after getting home the first time and I've had no issues. Heel shifters on anything I've been around seem to develop issues faster than toe only.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Everybody I know that has had issues, has a heel shifter on their bike.
If you want to eliminate any problems going forward, replace with AFTERMARKET parts, it seems Harleys lowest bidder has some soft metal.

btw.....Never had an issue with mine in 45K miles, but I removed the heel shifter as soon as the bike got home and I replaced the linkage with non Harley parts. To be honest, I replaced the linkage because I found some contrast cut parts I liked, after I replaced the parts I found out about the issues and cause

Reactions: Doug06rg

·
Registered
630 Posts
Replace the pinch bolt with a grade 8 hex head. You can crank it down without breaking the bolt. 98k on mine without problems. I just check it when I change my oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'll give the non-HD parts a try. Also thinking about removing the heel shifter too so I won't be tempted to use it ever again.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've been using a heel shifter for 9 years on Roadglides without a problem. I don't stomp on the lever like I did with my Venture.
I did, however, have the front lever strip out once. It was tricky getting home with just the rear lever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine fell off one time while I was riding. Fortunately, I was only one mile from my house so I made it home easily. I did replace the shifter arm and also replaced the shifter shaft with a greaseable type from Pingel. Much better quality and haven't had a problem since!

PINGEL® - Greaseable Shifter Shaft

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
When I took my heal kicker off, my problem went away.
I have never in my life used a heal shifter. It's the first thing to come off. Am I correct to assume this problem occurs due to the amount of force applied to a heal shifter?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I never use it to shift, feels funny. But leave it on as a heel guard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never use it to shift, feels funny. But leave it on as a heel guard.
Same here. I had never had a bike with a heel shifter before the glide. I tried it a few times but it felt very unnatural. Yet, I leave it on because it does make a nice heel stop when moving your foot around.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I replaced the shaft a couple months ago. I still like the heel shifter. I don't clomp down on it as hard as I used to. I lightly tap it now. When I am rushing I do use the toe only though...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have never in my life used a heal shifter. It's the first thing to come off. Am I correct to assume this problem occurs due to the amount of force applied to a heal shifter?
Could be. I have seen some guys stomp down on that shifter with the same amount of force as a Hulk Hogan leg drop!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts