Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 road glide tonight while riding I wasn’t able to shift up only down , has any one ever had this problem ? Everything externally looks fine , just looking for a bit of info before I take it to a shop thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Guessing a striped shifter shaft. Had to replace mine. Not covered under warranty as it's a regular maintenance item. Doesn't cost too much. $40-$50 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If it has a heal shifter, make sure its not bottoming out on the board.

Next would be the pinch bolts on the levers. One of them is usually loose if the rear shifter is hitting the board.

The have a look at the hemi joints on the linkage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it is stripped splines on the shift lever/shaft........don't waste your money on a new OEM lever. Go to www.betterlever.com and pay the $225 for a much better lever.

My 2012 stripped at about 20k miles. I tried a new OEM lever.....only helped for a short time (couple weeks)....tried the high quality pinch bolt.....put grease under the head of the bolt and tightened the poop out of it trick.....only lasted a short time (couple days). Finally bought the better lever and installed it........almost 50k miles now and have not had an issue since.

Not on the payroll.....no affiliation......just found a product that worked for me.

Good luck.....let us know what you find.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Guessing a striped shifter shaft. Had to replace mine. Not covered under warranty as it's a regular maintenance item. Doesn't cost too much. $40-$50 if I remember correctly.
Had mine replaced on my 15’ on way home from shark week in NC. While getting my tire changed at dealer in OKC,they informed me that shifter shaft was starting to get worn and stripped which according to them was a common problem with the 15 and 16 model years. Not sure about the newer models. Cheap fix though like you said,between 40 and 50 bucks. They told me to avoid premature wear in future by not shifting into first gear as soon as you start it up while idle is high. Let idle come down a bit first.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
If the splines are stripped I'd recommend using "the better lever". I dont have any personal experience with it but my buddy put it on and he's never had a problem since. It's a bit pricey but its much better that the stock single pinch bolt lever. I will be using it when I have to replace mine

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
My rear linkage arm kept loosening up. For me the problem went away when I took the the heel kicker off, I have never had a problem since.

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is a known issue, most likely the forward shifter lever and the splines where it connects to the shaft. You will need to replace both. Also, check the transmission shifter lever and its pinch bolt, while you are at it. I have not heard much about this issue on '17 up bikes. Once fixed, check all pinch bolts at least every 2k miles. Also, blue Loctite is your friend.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im have kind of a similar issue. Mine keeps getting stuck in N when shifting from 1st to 2nd, no problems with any other gears up or down. Starting to get real annoying! Going to check everything out tonight and try to figure out whats going on. Just started happening so Im guessing something is probably loose.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
My rear linkage arm kelp loosening up. For me the problem went away when I took the the heel kicker off, I have never had a problem since.
In my opinion the heel shifter IS the cause of all these shifter issues. It is way too easy to put too much pressure on the splines and cause premature wear. Even if you try and take it easy stepping on the heel shifter you are still putting much more force than you do when you pull up toe shifting. I know we love the feel of the heel shifter but that is always the first thing I remove whenever I get a new bike and in all my years of riding and the 100k's of miles I have never once stripped any splines or had any shifter issues. If you want to keep using the heel shifter then I would absolutely upgrade the rear shift arm to the one listed above.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Im have kind of a similar issue. Mine keeps getting stuck in N when shifting from 1st to 2nd, no problems with any other gears up or down. Starting to get real annoying! Going to check everything out tonight and try to figure out whats going on. Just started happening so Im guessing something is probably loose.
It's a good sign that it's starting to strip. Take care of it before you get stuck in one gear and have to limp it to the shop. Been there done that.

Reactions: sethc1020

·
Super Moderator
1,835 Posts
Roadside fix for a stripped shifter shaft or stripped shift lever or both stripped.

Remove the shift lever from the bike using the allan key that fits, wrap a tiny strip of tinfoil (like the size of a flat gum stick wrapper) that you now carry in with your tools, you may have to wrap a couple times, trim it nicely, slide your shift lever back on and tighten it up snug. Voila, roadside fix that will get you to the next dealer. It won't be pretty and I wouldn't chance putting thousands of miles on it, it should only be considered a temporary repair, not a temporary permanent repair.

If your bike is fuel injected, always, always, always let the idle settle back down after starting before shifting into first, common sense thing to do. Like others, I stopped using the rear shift lever and haven't had a problem since.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: madmat and ALMOONEY

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I've had bikes with heel shifters for at least the past 10 years and have never stripped a shift shaft. Stop stomping it like it owes you money, you godless heathens lol.

Well it would be hard to strip it when the bikes sit in the garage that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I've had bikes with heel shifters for at least the past 10 years and have never stripped a shift shaft. Stop stomping it like it owes you money, you godless heathens lol.
What he said ^^^^^^^ except add a decade. I always drop the rear shifter down as far as possible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well it would be hard to strip it when the bikes sit in the garage that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whoa, whoa whoa...hey! Easy! Used to be a time when I was good for about 15k a year average...just went over 9k on a bike Ive had since August....may hit 11 or 12 on that one this year....she aint no garage queen! Lol. I got nothin on a coworker though....she's had her FZ09 about 18 months and is up to something like 40k....she put 95k on a Buell and pretty much had to trade up.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Whoa, whoa whoa...hey! Easy! Used to be a time when I was good for about 15k a year average...just went over 9k on a bike Ive had since August....may hit 11 or 12 on that one this year....she aint no garage queen! Lol. I got nothin on a coworker though....she's had her FZ09 about 18 months and is up to something like 40k....she put 95k on a Buell and pretty much had to trade up.
I feel your pain on the declining yearly mileage. I was putting 23-25k per year on and the last couple of years about half that. Maybe we need to just go riding with your co-worker to get our mileage back up. Lol!

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's a good sign that it's starting to strip. Take care of it before you get stuck in one gear and have to limp it to the shop. Been there done that.

Seems like most guys I know like the heel shifter but I never have. I've always thought it restricted my foot movement to much and remove it the day I get the bike home. Suppose it's one of those things you just get use to if you leave it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts