Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding down the road yesterday, beautiful weather, on a four lane route and all of a sudden my 2015 RGS would not shift! I ended up limping down the shoulder in 1st gear and stopped in the shade at a local bank. Stuck. I called the local dealer and with some hesitation they sent a truck and trailer to get me. While waiting, I examined the shift linkage and the shifter arm was very loose at the spline that connects to the front/rear shifters. I tried to tighten it, but the tool kit does not contain the 3/16" allen required for this. The dealer guy came for me and once there we got it ride able again. There was no service tech there since it was Sunday. I got it home and readjusted the shifters and applied blue Loctite to all three allen screws. All is good.

Lesson learned, Loctite everything. There is also now a 3/16th allen wrench in my tool kit. Why Harley does not include this in the first place? Saves them about $0.25 a bike. So far the MOCO has overtightened my windshield screws, cracking the shield, and under torqued my shifter arm, leaving me stranded. In their defense they replaced the shield and the dealership yesterday was very helpful and charged me nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
More than likely the shifter shaft and arm need to be replaced. Mine and my wifes 2015 RGs and a few of my friends have done the same thing. They are stripping out. It is NOT a matter of not being tight enough. After hearing of others stripping out, I kept check on mine and it was tight and stripped anyway. The bolt was still tight after it stripped.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Blue Loctite

I had the same thing happen on my Ultra so I put blue Loctite on the shaft as well as the threads. It held for 2 years until I traded it off on my FLTRX. No more slipping. Red would probably work better if you didn't want it to slip on the shaft for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want piece of mind, get a better lever, it has two bolts and and is billet stainless, I love mine no more slop.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine stripped on my 2013 on the way to Sturgis. Cost about $125 and a 1.5 hour setback on the trip. The bolt was tight but there was play on the shaft. Had I fixed that, I probably could have avoided the inconvenience. I traded for a 2015 a month ago. Guess I need to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
One or the Other

I guess it would be either billet (aluminum) or SS. LOL

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I checked my rear shifter arm yesterday, and guess what, it was loose too, but not near as much slop as my front had. I cranked down on it with a 1/4" allen socket, all is good for now. I am going to talk to the dealership about this. The bike only has 5k miles on it. Either we are dealing with bad parts, bad workmanship, or both.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually billet doesnt just refer to aluminum, there is billet carbon steel and stainless. Billet is machined from a solid piece of metal not forged or cast. Billet is not just one type of metal. Hope this helps

·
Registered
406 Posts
had it happen to my 12 in the middle of Idaho on the backside of the Teton's, luckily I was riding with someone that had tools, just tightening did not work. We had to take off the shifter and take lose from the back linkage and re adjust, happened 2 more times on the trip, when i got home replaced the shaft and bacl linkage because the splines in both had stripped,.... cheap ass parts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Actually billet doesnt just refer to aluminum, there is billet carbon steel and stainless. Billet is machined from a solid piece of metal not forged or cast. Billet is not just one type of metal. Hope this helps

Yes it helps to humble my $#/! $ ass, throw those last 30yrs away:smile:

Tho I'll keep the 30 before that those are the ones that keep me up in the morning

There is SS billet (bar stock), I probably know more about de-stocking a bar JJ8823 is correct, and to the one I questioned...sorry bout that

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More than likely the shifter shaft and arm need to be replaced. Mine and my wifes 2015 RGs and a few of my friends have done the same thing. They are stripping out. It is NOT a matter of not being tight enough. After hearing of others stripping out, I kept check on mine and it was tight and stripped anyway. The bolt was still tight after it stripped.
Sure enough, I went for a 70 mile ride this past Thursday, and when I got home the front shifter arm was loose, again, in spite of me cranking down on the 3/16" allen bolt as much as I dared to and generous application of blue Loctite. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the shifter shaft and front shift arm. Apparently they keep a generous supply of these in stock. The service guy said they were both stripped. The rear lever was fine. The assistant service manager gave me a lecture saying if I was going to do my own service, be sure to tighten all critical fasteners to spec during service intervals. Well, my bike only has 5k miles on it anyway, this should not have happened, but I will heed his unsolicited advice. He did not like it that I had an aftermarket oil filter (K&N) on there that clued him in that I do my own. They want their $300 for the 1k and 5k services.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just posted in tech area about this, dealer in Murphysboro had 2 '15 CVO's in and had already don several others with the same issues, stripped arm and shaft bolt gone, it is a known issue. My 2003 did the same thing but was a locktite issue this is something more stripped splines.

·
Registered
400 Posts
From what I have seen over the years is that this is a very common problem for all years of HD. All models. Usually there is no tightening of the shifter with a 3/16 allen head. Best way is just to replace the splined shaft and shifter with new. An just keep a close eye on it. Like ever time you check your air pressure before you ride, check your shifter. An while your at it replace the joints on your shifter linkage to Heim Joints. You will never have another problem.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
had it happen to my 12 in the middle of Idaho on the backside of the Teton's, luckily I was riding with someone that had tools, just tightening did not work. We had to take off the shifter and take lose from the back linkage and re adjust, happened 2 more times on the trip, when i got home replaced the shaft and bacl linkage because the splines in both had stripped,.... cheap ass parts
I purchased my 2015 RGS last Oct and I have racked up 21,500 miles.
I have already had the dealer replace mine twice. The last time they used blue lock tight and so far so good. It is a crappy design that should be re-looked at by Harley. If it happens again which I'm sure it will, I will go maybe a different route.
Swomack

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I've got a 2001, 2004, and a 2016. I have found if you put a little grease where the allen head hits the shift fork, you can tighten it more easier. Also, buy an harden bolt at Home Depot or Lowes and you can really get after it. Never changed any out, just tighten by this method.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts