Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who runs these and what’s the mileage, and wear life (I live in the mountains going from cold to hot to cold). There’s killer deals and supposedly their Yokohama’s tire? and the load range is that of a Michelin or Dunlop! But are they too ‘cheap’

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's a Japanese company that bought Yokohama tire molds, but makes them in South Korea. That's what I read, anyway. I wonder about them also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got one on my '16.
It cost a total of $150.00 with me pulling the wheel off and reinstalling the wheel myself after it was mounted.
I run 40# of air in it and it feels exactly like the commander that was pulled off.

It's a little stickier when I put the bike in the wheel chock in my garage. In other words, the left right movement of the bike is less in the chock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a set for my ‘92 Glide the load range for the front is 67 and the rear is a 74 or so, Mich and Dunlop’s are the same, but these are cheap!!! I ran Yoko’s on my R6 and couple 1000cc I had and they were sticky and rode good but lasted a season...but that was mph’s in the upper 100’s and cornering like a fool...this old HD didn’t do that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran the older (non HD - which is heavy duty not harley davidson) version of the 777 on my old street glide. It had the same 18" rear as the current specials and CVOs run so there were very few tire choices. The 777 got fairly good wear (didn't get a chance to wear it out thanks to a guy snorting lines in his pickup) and it stuck very well. I just put a 777HD on my 18 FLTRXS. Initial impressions are its MUCH better than the crappy stock dunlops (they always cup on me no matter how religious I am with tire pressures). I only have about 2 days of riding on them so far but they are pretty damn sticky. hopefully they last at least 10K miles.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have run Shinko tires for years, on several different bikes. Never any issues. They are not "cheap", but they are about 1/2 the price of Dunlops, Metzlers, Michelins, etc. They are very well made, on Japanese equipment, formally Yokahama in Korea.

For a big HD touring bike, you want the 777HDs. Run the front at 36 psi, the rear at 44 psi. You will get about 6K miles out of a rear. Why? They are a softer compound, stick like glue, and are great in the wet. Handling is great. The price you pay is decreased mileage.ma,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Totally agree. I have ran the 777s on my FXRS-SP for years and love the fact I can get two tires for the price of one Metzeler or Avon tire. Now That I have a 2019 RGS the first tire change it gets will be Shinko 777.
On a side note Shinko is an old bicycle tire company in japan. I want to say they are from the 1800s' but don't quote me on that. They acquired Yokohama in Korea and now make motorcycle tires with their equipment. Plus I love the tread pattern on the 777s.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Who runs these and what’s the mileage, and wear life (I live in the mountains going from cold to hot to cold). There’s killer deals and supposedly their Yokohama’s tire? and the load range is that of a Michelin or Dunlop! But are they too ‘cheap’
My read is the quality "may be hit and miss." I do recommend you check the date code on any tire, including the dealer. Tires do have a shelf-life. https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires .

Bad Review:
Good Review:

·
Registered
609 Posts
i'm due for both-at that price i'm going to try-if I get 10000 miles that's a deal.it will also make the native front end a little cheaper-

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the white walls, nice ride and no issues. Had about 500 miles on the last set before going to Whtwall. Nice tires and good ride. Happy with them. Wont go back to dunlop or metzs.....

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
For a big HD touring bike, you want the 777HDs. Run the front at 36 psi, the rear at 44 psi. You will get about 6K miles out of a rear. Why? They are a softer compound, stick like glue, and are great in the wet. Handling is great. The price you pay is decreased mileage.ma,
Man, there's no way I'd run a tire that you had to change every 6k miles I don't care how much better the perceived performance seems to be. The main reason everyone gives for buying them is price but how are you saving money if you get less then half the mileage? You say you get 6k miles out of them, but even 10k is nothing to talk about. I've run Michelin and Dunlop and get consistently 20k miles out of them with meat on the bone when I change them.

Of the tires I've run I've settled on the Dunlop American Elite. It handles good, is good in the rain and is a good all around touring tire with great mileage. I have no knowledge of Shinko but AEs perform pretty damn good and I ride pretty hard. Some say Shinkos cost half the price of other tires but doing a quick check I'm not seeing quite that big a savings, not enough to justify the hassle of changing them twice as often. 3 times as often if all you're getting is 6k miles out of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts