Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are from Arizona, 4 with 3 bikes, have two weeks middle of Sept.
We want to ship bikes to Maine, then see Nova Scotia, then ride south as far as we get, staying close to shore, if that works for a good ride. Don't know much about the NE, so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Also, the idea of a list of members in different areas is a great idea.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Welcome to RoadGlide.org.

The Maine Coastline has a lot if Islands so you do a lot of miles without travelling very far if you know what I mean. Just look at some detailed road maps of the area.

Places that are worth exploring, in no particular order:

Acadia National Park and the ride up the summit of Cadillac Mountain.

A lobster meal at any of the Lobster Shacks that you will come across.

The easternmost city; Lubec, ME

The West Quoddy Head Visitors Center

The crossing at Calais, ME was small and not crowded

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse Park

Bar Harbor, ME

Here are some photos I took while visiting the area.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a roll ! That's good!
Thanks for replies.

Looking at Cabot Trail. Do you all know anything about it?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I have not personally done the cabot trail, yet.

I have read some good articles on it and determined that it will definitely be in my future.

https://cabottrailbiker.com/

RoadRUNNER?s Bucket List Roads: The Cabot Trail

I good view of the road conditions starting at about 10 minutes in. Just bikes and music so you can mute if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZacBJJ5-Uk

This one allows you to slide your curser along the bottom and quickly go to scenic parts of the video to see the road and sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Bou2nTVng

·
Registered
885 Posts
Do the cabot trail counter clockwise. Puts you on the outside lane all day. All the places to look out are in the outside. Wonderful day around the peninsula. We enjoyed it so much we did it a second day before we headed back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for replies.

Now looking for info from Bar harbor down to Conn or to Boston area.
Again, staying near the shore, but looking for interesting or historic places.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am the road captain for a group. This year, a dozen going to Nova Scotia. Leaving in two weeks. I have been to parts before, but not east of Halifax.

1. Just got informed (but just barely) that our ferry for Saturday is canceled. Two weeks out ? IMHO, looking at their schedule, they are just taking every other Saturday off. Losing a day there is a big deal. See 2 below.

2. Nova Scotia is pretty big, if you want to ride the scenic routes. Yes, the Cabot Trail is the target, and two days of riding cover it. But, Ft Louisberg is listed as a day in in itself. When you add in stops at even a small list of points of interest, you run out of "days" quickly. Taking the Lighthouse Trail, and suggested off shoots, takes more than a day. Halifax is an awesome city, one day is too short. The trail and suggested off shoots of the Fundy Shore and Annapolis is also more than a day. (We have to skip this one). I could go on....

3. So, planning, and in my case redoing it having lost a day, to get to your highlights - compared to your "days", will take some work. In part, determine your real targets, then prioritize in order, what you hope to see, and so on. As weather can slow you down too. Fog = late starts in am.

Moving on.

Our focus when planning, is the farthest away point. As we may never get back that far again.

As a well traveled New England resident, let me say you can spend a ton of timing riding around our 6 states. All have some great riding. So, defining your available time, will provide a window for me to "fill" my thoughts in.

Examples:

Boston - Get lodging on the outskirts near a T station, or commuter rail. Park the bike. T into town. Walk around the Faneuil Hall Freedom trail area. Take a duck boat tour. Or, the tourist trolley that lets you hop on and off.

NH - A great riding state. No helmets, and as the largest bike ownership per cap in country, they "see" you better than most states. Mountains, twisties, and a awesome 18 mile coastline ride - about half of which there is nothing between you and England.....

ME - Lower Maine below Portland, has some great roads on or adjacent to coast. Rt 103 Kittery to York, 1A thru York Beach, Shore Road to a traffic jam at Kennebunk on Rt 1. Stay on Rt one to Bentley's. The best biker bar in New England. Jump up to Old Orchard Beach. On wards to Portland, a great restaurant town. Old Port area includes the ferry terminal to Nova Scotia. (We are staying in Westbrooke for lower cost - including limo). Above Portland, is why ME has the most coastline of any state in the USA ! A ton of "winding around". Depends on your time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
US 1 all the way up the coast is the main tourist road, goes thru all the towns all the way to NH and beyond.

I would tell you to stop at Ft Knox in Bucksport, get a ticket and go up the west bridge tower observatory. 400' up, nice view of Penobscot Bay. if you hit it on a "see forever" day, you can see 90 miles north. You could tour the fort too if thats a thing. 1 runs down the west shore of the river/bay to Rockland. You will go thru the little towns like Stockton Springs, Searsport, Belfast ( Belfast is a cool place, nice downtown, harbor walk thru the boatyard, old us1 bridge walk, little restaurants,stors and pubs) Further down will be Lincolnville Beach, then Camden/Rockport.
Mount Batty auto road is just before town, ride up and see the view. Swing into the muni parking lot at the waterfront to see all the boats. Camden is pretty, but busy. I usually go out Bay street and turn left at the cemetery, go see the oreo cows at Aldemere Farm. quick stop at Rockport Harbor to see the Andre the seal statue, sit in the park. Then you are right back on 1 again. Rockland is next, busy and all one way streets, I usually cut off across 90 and bypass it, unless I have a reason to go into town. Owls Head Transportation Museum is always worth a stop though.

After Rockland the road is inland more, but you can ride down the different peninsulas. When you get to Waldoboro ( Moodys Diners another eatery.) you can take 32 to Bremen and New Harbor (Shaws Lobster Pound is fun, eat your lobster that just came off the boat) Pemequid light and park is just around the corner, and the Pemequid colonists site is near there. Then the road will bring you into Damariscotta and US1 again. Then theres always a ride into Boothbay Harbor , which is a trip in itself. Back out to 1 again thru Wiscasset -Bath-Brunswick. At Cooks Corner in Brunswick, Rt 27 goes into Bailey Island and Harpswell. Theres a couple little places to eat and stay near the Crib Bridge, and the Lands End Gift shop is at the (literally) end of the road.

After that is Yarmouth and Freeport ( LL Beans , and all the outlet stores, etc) After that is Portland with everything in a city. The Old Port is fun to pub crawl, but the hotels all around it are 250 a night or more. Beaches and tourist traps all the way to NH. Old Orchard Beach is just below Portland, and more beyond that. Been to Bentleys in Arundel to see all the bra's in the rafters. Not sure whats beyond there except for the Yorks and Kittery. I go to a snowmobile thing in Fremont NH every October, about 10 miles inland. Missed an exit for the interstate and ended up in Hampton Beach NH. 1A or A1A whatever the route # is goes for miles right along the beach and shore from Portsmouth to wherever. Thought I might like to ride the bike thru there on a NH loop sometime, but I haven't got there yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts