Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Putting new shocks on my 2016 Special (18k miles) but the stock shocks are different lengths. Not sure they came that way, I don't think they do, but the adjustable side is 3/16 longer than the slave/spring side. Don't know if something inside moved (bumper?) and is my whole motor/frame/swing arm out of whack and getting worst? Still seemed to ride reasonable but now WTF?

With the new shocks (adjustable length Ohlins 159's) I can adjust for the difference and still keep the spring sag same but would like to know if that is the right thing to do, and most importantly understand the issue better.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Bobinator

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Glad I bought a set of Revo-As!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
watch this video. it will explain why you have two different lengths. and, 'they all do that'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKZ1BQgXPuc
Ah SHI T!

Saw that vid already when researching shocks, but to late.

The more I think about it, actually, the 'turning' ride has gotten progressively worse, especially at speed. The change is very subtle as it is occurring. Chalked it up to the shocks preforming worse, but now starting to think that those POS shocks tweaked the whole motor/frame swing arm relationship as I previously wrote (MUST BE, I'm such a dumb ass at times). Even my tires were worn much more on one side, as if I made a million more lefts than rights, which made no sense to me. Motor is mounted on rubber pods, with just one hard connection that has no adjustment that I can see, tranny to the... aghhhh. Oh man, friggin nightmare.

New question, what do I do now? Am I screwed? Again, do I accommodate the tweak by adjusting the length of shocks and ride twisted? That just doesn't sound right. Or mount the new shocks at same length with one spring 'compressed more that the other? That doesn't sound right neither. Or, spend a million six dollars to un-tweak? That sounds...oh boy.

Obviously I'm having a small meltdown here while simultaneously becoming unglued. Love my bike, but need to stay away from bridges for now.

Would like to know what others did in my situation and what helped.

Thx again.

·
Registered
890 Posts
SWEET MOTHER OF CHROME! is that for real? can anyone confirm or deny that Video please. I mean hands on found that? Anyone take 1 off and compress the spring to find out? Dang, thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just replaced my factory shocks. I might tear them apart and see what i find. Love destroying things, it's putting it back to together that usually sucks

·
Registered
890 Posts
I like your Moxy my brother, Please let me know what you find. maybe the Video guy got THE bad 1? good luck

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Not that I am all knowing, but I have always believed that right side of the manually operated shocks where like that. A Indy had mentioned it to me a few years back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Changed the shocks on my 17 after a few thousand miles. Couldn't stand the ride, was almost like riding a hard tail. Now I see that the entire weight was slamming on the one side of the swing arm. Nice engineering!

·
Registered
102 Posts
So any shock should be an improvement.I just ordered some suspension technologies shocks from Mike Monday. I’m sure I’ll notice a difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts