Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a repeat of a thread I started in the suspension section and got little inputs so I’m trying again here to get more exposure and see if anyone can help me.

Putting new shocks on my 2016 Special (18k miles) cause my bike just does not handle the way it did in turns and has gotten progressively worse, especially at speed. The change was very subtle as it occurred. Chalked it up to the shocks getting/performing worse, but now starting to think that my POS stock shocks tweaked the whole motor/frame swingarm relationship as the stock shocks are now at different lengths as is the swingarm to frame off by same side to side. I’m sure they did not come that way. The slave/spring side is 3/16 to almost ¼” shorter than the adjustable side. Don't know if something inside the shocks slowly moved (internal bumpers?) and is my whole motor/frame/swingarm now out of whack and getting worst? WTF?

Even when I replaced my tires were they were worn much more on one side, as if I made a million more lefts than rights, (not possible dumb ass) which made no sense to me. I’m sure my parents are in heaven lamenting about the education dollars they spent.

Motor is mounted on rubber pods, with just one hard connection that has no adjustment that I can see, tranny to the... aghhhh. Oh man, friggin nightmare.

Question, what do I do now? Am I screwed? New shocks are Ohlins 159’s with adjustable ends. Do I accommodate the tweak by adjusting the length of each shock and ride twisted? That just doesn't sound right. Or mount the new shocks at same length with one spring 'compressed more that the other, hoping it starts to tweak back to proper? That too doesn't sound right. Or, spend a million six dollars to un-tweak? That sounds...oh boy.

For the record, I ride 90% of the time with Ms. Bobinator on board and with our gear (which typically includes Margaritas) we’re at about 400lbs and have put 18k on the clock.

Obviously I'm having a small meltdown here while simultaneously becoming unglued and inadvertently riding sideways. Love my bike, but need to stay away from bridges for now. :crying:

Skratch posted a you tube vid in response to my suspension posting that is very enlighting. (Thx Skratch)

Would like to know what others did in my situation and what helped.

Thx for reading

Bobinator

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Install your new Ohlins shocks. Set up according to the instructions.

Ride, adjust if necessary, ride more tweak again, ride more.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
@Bobinator when i installed my Öhlins i set up the right side shock first and then extended the left shock length to fit...

have you tried communicating with the seller?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Bobinator when i installed my Öhlins i set up the right side shock first and then extended the left shock length to fit...

have you tried communicating with the seller?
Greetings Little Wing and thx for your inputs.

Did contact seller and received same as you mentioned and I understand. Leaves springs equal and same when setting sag.

I wonder what do you do if you don't have adjustable shocks? Install one (left) then compress right side to install? How would someone do that? How do you then set the sag? Is one shock again more loaded (compressed) than the other? Are Ultra's the same?

This remains dazzling to me, but again, thanks for your reply.

Bobinator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts