Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year. Hope you all are healthy.
Looking for shocks for my 2017 RG Special. Has stock shocks on right now. My research suggests Progressive, Ohlins, Legends or Pro Actions. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You will get a million answers. The problem I see with most answers is no one has actually run all the shocks to do a comparison. So the answers you get is what each person has on their bike. From what I have read Ohlins and Legends are both considered top of the line.

I went with Ohlin due to them being available at a bike show I attended, put them on my 2015 RG Ultra CVO. Wife and I immediately noticed how smooth the ride was going home from the show. I have put over 100,000 miles on the shocks, yes I did send them back to Ohlin at around 75,000 for a rebuild. Now all our bikes (2 Road Glides and a Freewheeler) have Ohlins.

·
Registered
2021 roadglide cvo, black hole.
254 Posts
I went with the 13" Fox rear shocks your stock 12" factory rear shocks will put you in a chiropractic office for lower back pain. Best $525.00 dollars I ever spent.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think it interesting in these threads how quick the replies come compared to the absence of questions regarding riding style (aggressive, laid back, solo, two-up, etc) and the general roads you seem to travel. It's really NOT a one-size-fits-all market and therein lies the challenge.

I think those factors, along with your general fitness and height / weight should help you narrow your choices. But oh well..... :)

_ Soapbox _

Back in the day, everyone would buy IBM because they didn't have to justify the purchase. You will notice that if you go with the "Big Three". Everyone just replies with "nice" when you tell them what you have.

The Big Three deserve credit for beautiful and well orchested marketing (events, youtube, buying mindshare)

_ End of Soapbox _

So, all the main line shocks work really well - IF they are SETUP CORRECTLY.

Fox, Ohlin, Progressive, Legends, SuperShox, etc etc,

As pointed out by 05 Quadrasteer, you will get many answers.

The best thing you can do for yourself is narrow it down and then do your research. Even within each product line, there are different models and yes, we've not had the luxury of time and money to try every single one.

Editorial Opinion

I went with SuperShox because I just like what an American Small business is doing. I spoke to the owner. Not sure I could get past the operator at any of those other companies.

And yes, they ride really well - replaced the Progressives I had installed. Those bumps and ridges I used to feel are no longer an issue to me or my passenger. I can totally flat foot on my Ultra too.

_ End of Editorial Opinion_

Good luck in your search.

Looking for shocks for my 2017 RG Special. Has stock shocks on right now. My research suggests Progressive, Ohlins, Legends or Pro Actions. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,535 Posts
Yup, the eternal rear shock question. @NCPiper made all the key points. Supershocks was not an option at the time for my older bike, but on the same premise of small company, well-built, and talking to the owners, I went with Pro Action shocks and have been very happy with their quality and smooth ride over 70k kilometres. Also, every shock option other than Legend was not easy to order up north here, so I figured if it was going to take time to import, I'd take my time to make my decision.

Also, came across an interesting comparison vid between them and Ohlins; seeing as I ride in all conditions and my bike gets minimal washings, I liked the idea of the construction of the PA's, though I really never need to adjust them.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,697 Posts
All good points mentioned above. To me it comes down to function, quality, fit & finish. The big factor is cost for most, including me. The ladder will thin out the top tier lines.

I went with SuperShox 14" w/lowering blocks that works out to a 13" ride height. This gives 2" more travel than OEM 'special' units. Great quality and customer service. One feature I really like is the engraved scale for setting preload, easy too read/ adjust. I wouldn't hesitate buying again. US made too!

Bottom line, don't skimp on shocks, you're butt will thank you.

• Love
Reactions: Pags63 and NCPiper

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
My advice is to go with 13 inch shocks that have more travel than what comes on the Special. Once you set static sag the bike will sit just about the same as where the seat is now. If you can't find out the travel from a company, pass them by.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will get a million answers. The problem I see with most answers is no one has actually run all the shocks to do a comparison. So the answers you get is what each person has on their bike. From what I have read Ohlins and Legends are both considered top of the line.

I went with Ohlin due to them being available at a bike show I attended, put them on my 2015 RG Ultra CVO. Wife and I immediately noticed how smooth the ride was going home from the show. I have put over 100,000 miles on the shocks, yes I did send them back to Ohlin at around 75,000 for a rebuild. Now all our bikes (2 Road Glides and a Freewheeler) have Ohlins.
Thanks.

·
Read Only
2,975 Posts
Call Pro-Action, speak with George or DJ, they're cool and will explain it a whole lot better... American company with a long background similar to Super Shocks...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it interesting in these threads how quick the replies come compared to the absence of questions regarding riding style (aggressive, laid back, solo, two-up, etc) and the general roads you seem to travel. It's really NOT a one-size-fits-all market and therein lies the challenge.

I think those factors, along with your general fitness and height / weight should help you narrow your choices. But oh well..... :)

_ Soapbox _

Back in the day, everyone would buy IBM because they didn't have to justify the purchase. You will notice that if you go with the "Big Three". Everyone just replies with "nice" when you tell them what you have.

The Big Three deserve credit for beautiful and well orchested marketing (events, youtube, buying mindshare)

_ End of Soapbox _

So, all the main line shocks work really well - IF they are SETUP CORRECTLY.

Fox, Ohlin, Progressive, Legends, SuperShox, etc etc,

As pointed out by 05 Quadrasteer, you will get many answers.

The best thing you can do for yourself is narrow it down and then do your research. Even within each product line, there are different models and yes, we've not had the luxury of time and money to try every single one.

Editorial Opinion

I went with SuperShox because I just like what an American Small business is doing. I spoke to the owner. Not sure I could get past the operator at any of those other companies.

And yes, they ride really well - replaced the Progressives I had installed. Those bumps and ridges I used to feel are no longer an issue to me or my passenger. I can totally flat foot on my Ultra too.

_ End of Editorial Opinion_

Good luck in your search.
Great comments and advice. Thanks. I will check out SuperShox. That is a new one to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I bought some Suspension Technologies shocks at the Lonestar rally.Was gonna get 13" but the company owner suggested 12".I've ridden over a thousand miles since & they're still stiff as hell on the softest setting.Beginning to wonder if they gave me the hd shocks. I'm right at 6' and 175 lbs. Told him I ride 1 up 95% of the time.So keep researching for the right setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ricky Rocket, I have a brand new in the box pair of 13" Ohlins blackline 777 with the 26N spring set up by Ohlins for my 2017 RGS. if interested let me know, I can save you a little money. They are $650 new plus shipping.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good points mentioned above. To me it comes down to function, quality, fit & finish. The big factor is cost for most, including me. The ladder will thin out the top tier lines.

I went with SuperShox 14" w/lowering blocks that works out to a 13" ride height. This gives 2" more travel than OEM 'special' units. Great quality and customer service. One feature I really like is the engraved scale for setting preload, easy too read/ adjust. I wouldn't hesitate buying again. US made too!

Bottom line, don't skimp on shocks, you're butt will thank you.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ricky Rocket, I have a brand new in the box pair of 13" Ohlins blackline 777 with the 26N spring set up by Ohlins for my 2017 RGS. if interested let me know, I can save you a little money. They are $650 new plus shipping.
Thanks. Let me check these out and will let you know. My research for shocks recommended Ohlins 159 or 022,

·
Registered
2019 fltru
952 Posts
your length and bike ride height will decide what you do .your special will have 12" shocks-as you know u loose a little bit of comfort depending on your weight and 2 up.i like the 12" height but not the ride.i used super shox 14" with a 12" ride height-awesome ride.i have used 14"-13"-12" on same bike-SS has a warranty that will exceed most others over time-just my .02--call brian at SS and chat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.