Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i can remember when printing was a noble trade
I worked for RR Donnellys for a bit. Same as Lake Side Press LSC it’s changed names a few times now. Printed all the reader’s digest books. The Harry Poter books which where under very close eyes. Bibles. Place has downsized but still going strong

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe Ebay and Staples would be a little cheaper if you HAD to have the paper??

Several years back, a vessel I worked on was delivered with an ipad loaded with every manual and parts list available for EVERY piece of equipment on the vessel. Since then I've been doing that in both my work and personal lives. The only difference is that at home I'm using a crappy cheap android tablet but everything is in the cloud cause...coffee, fire, oil 😆

·
Registered
11 Posts
i can remember when printing was a noble trade
I have felt almost prophetic leaving the print industry in the late 80s. I thought it was gonna be a dinosaur and boy I was lucky for that, I imagine I would have wasted another 15 years trying to scrape by while it died. Was a great industry while it lasted, replaced skilled craftsman and temperamental machinery with laser printers and button pushing monkeys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Went to my dealer and paid the 131 dollars and will get it in a couple of weeks. Still pretty high in my book but good reading and instructions. What the dealers are getting for things I have always performed is more than I can pay. On the other hand I understand the trained mechanics need to support their families also.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I worked for RR Donnellys for a bit. Same as Lake Side Press LSC it’s changed names a few times now. Printed all the reader’s digest books. The Harry Poter books which where under very close eyes. Bibles. Place has downsized but still going strong
I have felt almost prophetic leaving the print industry in the late 80s. I thought it was gonna be a dinosaur and boy I was lucky for that, I imagine I would have wasted another 15 years trying to scrape by while it died. Was a great industry while it lasted, replaced skilled craftsman and temperamental machinery with laser printers and button pushing monkeys.
we had a very specialized niche market.
i can only tell a handful of people on here that i married a stripper and they understand lol

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
On the other hand I understand the trained mechanics need to support their families also.
Unfortunately the dealer takes a pretty big cut of it, and from my experience, the work is often lacking. The bottom line is I will always do as much as I can because I care more about my stuff then someone else’s does. If I’m gonna pay someone else to mess something up, I might as well take a shot at it myself first.
I haven’t had Harley’s as long as a lot of cats around here, but the only bike I had real problems with was new and it was all covered under warranty, was just a PITA to deal with.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It's amazing how hard it is to buy the factory manuals down here in Australia now. The custom shops STILL have stacks of official factory parts and service manuals for Shovelheads and Evos, but you try finding something foir a M8 at a dealership.

The dealer who sold me my 2019 bike said H-D Australia HQ had no service or parts manuals in stock as there was ''no demand'' for them. I eventually got the service manual quicker and cheaper on a trip to San Francisco, and had to wait six weeks for Parts, Electrical Diagnostics and Boom GTS manuals to arrive down here via my dealer.
Apparently dealers here are now telling customers that the manuals are no longer made, and they are directed to the H-D manuals online via the MoCo website. WTF?

Clymer and Haynes manuals are a VERY poor substitute for the factory manuals, 25yrs of working on 2 Shovelheads has taught me. Occasionally they offer value with a different perspective diagram or photo, but I would only ever pick one up at a secondhand bookstore or a garage sale and I wouldn't wanna pay much.

Example: I have two service manuals in my garage.

1.5in thick: official factory service manual for 1978.5-1984 FX ONLY.

0.5 in thick: Haynes workshop manual for ''H-D Glides 1970-1990''.

That Haynes manual covers both Shovelhead engines AND the Evo AND all FX and FL models across two decades. Yet it is 66% thinner. Can you imagine how much info is missing? I look at it for fun about once every 5yrs. Never used it when working on the bike(s). Clymer is the same.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Service manual came in today.Ordered from Surdyke.Ordered on 1/6..$120.46 if anyone is interested.
Rectangle Art Wood Font Carton

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Got mine today as well.

Reactions: piper59

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you have Facebook, you can get almost any manual here: FB Harley PDF Manuals

I have the full 2020 Service Manual plus electrical manuals for my Road Glide from here. When you get on there, click the "Files" button towards the top and then you can scroll through hundreds of them or search for one.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you have Facebook, you can get almost any manual here: FB Harley PDF Manuals

I have the full 2020 Service Manual plus electrical manuals for my Road Glide from here. When you get on there, click the "Files" button towards the top and then you can scroll through hundreds of them or search for one.
Agree free is good, but flipping the pages is so much quicker than that FB group. used it for a bit until i got my book

·
Registered
60 Posts
It’s funny (or not) i got mine in early 2021 for 30% off at the dealership
Parts guy said the owner wanted them gone out of the store cause no one uses them anymore 🧐
It was for up to the 2020 model year… but still

21 - 40 of 40 Posts