Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Maybe it's just that I have a few years on me but I always say I wish I had all the money I spent buying Motorcycles, Snowmobiles and Pickups. Alot of them for no real reason or big upgrade. I will probably buy a new bike before I hang it up but to tell you the truth, I really enjoy riding my 13. I know the new ones would be a big upgrade but I really like growing old with an older bike. I paid cash for it, see my sons come with there new glides and I just don't get the itch anymore. I know my bike inside and out and we've been coast to coast, border to border together. We are both a little rough around the edges but we've never let each other down. Needless to say I say keep the bike and invest the 10k, spend some time together in the garage and on the road, you'll be happy you did one day.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Having a bike that your comfortable on, and is broken in, counts for alot. Buying and riding a brand spanking new bike is like getting a brand new girlfriend. You have to give them leeway as they break-in. :LOL:
I jumped from a 15, so it was a bigger change for me, than coming from an 18 like you. Mine had 1 mile, and everything was questionable to me, from the clutch pull, to shifting (big clunk), couldn't find neutral with it running.....was thinking I got a friday bike built before a long weekend.....But now starting to love this bitch
Its your money, and we are here to help you spend it.....

Go sign those damn papers!:p:p!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hard no.

I never encourage anyone to buy anything new from any dealership, let alone let them wrench on your bike. You buy a starter kit and the second you ride it off the lot it’s lost a significant amount of it’s value. They scare people into buying “Screaming Beagle” mods in order to keep your warranty. It’s all a scam. If HD believed in their products they wouldn’t coerce and fear people into buying SE “upgrades” to keep a warranty. Not to mention just about every aftermarket company out there making HD parts makes better components by leaps and bounds. They should just stand behind their product. Pull their bikes apart and see what you’re getting for your buck. You can throw the suspensions in the garbage. Open up your motor and you’ll see the cost cutting measures they’ve taken. Plastic tappet cuffs? Joke. That’s just to start. Axe me how I know.

There’s nothing wrong with your current bike. I’m not sure what you have invested in it above the initial acquisition cost, but I’d stick with your current sled.

I’m sure I hurt some feelings but that wasn’t my intent. You asked for opinions and that’s mine. Good luck bro!

Wish I could have liked this post 100X's. Just got rid of my plastic tappet cuffs, Jesus Christ...that was on a CVO

10 grand isn't a lot of cash nowadays. Sleep on it. I usually make good decisions after a night of rest, usually....lmao

·
Registered
59 Posts
That red is a good looking bike man but some factors to look at, as I just traded my 17SGS for a 20RGL. I loved the way mine looked with the grey charcoal on black, the Stage II ran great. But for me personally I realized I was settling compared to what I could have. That updated infotainment is hands down a crap ton better than the older model. The storage space on a SG is stupid small compared to the RG, the weight of the fairing was just, well, work, on long cross country trips I like to do, and feeling all the wind and truckers go by in my arms. The 114 upgrade over the 107, cool. My SGS had 12500 on the clock, needed new tires, and was due for a service, not a 1k but fluids and oils, etc. The 2021's were getting ready to come out so my 17 wasn't going to be going up in value when somebody could get an 18 or 19 used. So I justified all the reasons it made sense, and the end of the day, when I go out to the garage and glance over at the bike, I just grin, and think, NICE. So I know I made the right decision.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Ultimately its your money. We can help spend it but you have to sign the papers.

If the deal makes you happy, then by all means do that. I am all for another color than black. Way its going, finding a roadglide in a crowd was easy. There wasn't may out there. But now, I see a bunch of them. So , sooner or later, there we be the dreaded "which black roadglide is mine?" problem.

So I say, go for the 2020 in another color. Yes it will be more, but your getting something special.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
What's so much much better that it's worth $8900 for the 2020? I do like my GTS, but you can buy that for a lot less than $8900. RDRS to me is pointless, and useless, until I have a bike with it on it. Just my take, keep what is already paid for and make it how you want it. Starting over is...well starting over.

Trade in's, are so taht the dealer can profit on both ends of the deal which to me is jsut putting extra money in their pocket for no reason. With lots of lightly used bikes out there, you can saved many thousands if you hunt around. Just my .02. I've never bought a Harley from the dealer and ahve 6 in my garage. If I had bought from a dealer I might have 2...maybe 3.
I agree 100 % I have a mint 03' Fatboy paid $5200 and a 2012' RG Ultra Mint $10,700 both bike have nice upgrades and I saved thousands.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
My thoughts are to keep the '18, and buy a second bike that expands your riding experience.
In over 25 motorcycles owned, I have never replaced a bike with the exact same model bike. The closest was moving from the Road Glide Ultra to the Road Glide Special.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS, HD 131 Kit, V&H 550, Heavy Breather, Yaffe 12" Bars
47 Posts
My thoughts are to keep the '18, and buy a second bike that expands your riding experience.
In over 25 motorcycles owned, I have never replaced a bike with the exact same model bike. The closest was moving from the Road Glide Ultra to the Road Glide Special.
This is exactly my thinking. I've never been happier than having a few scoots to choose from. But, many folks don't have that option due to space and funds.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
In my opinion I say dont do it. They may be giving you good money for your trade but that $10k out of pocket will turn into $20k when you start upgrading the new one to suit you. And add that cost to a higher tax bill. The value of the bike drops drastically as son as it leaves the showroom floor. Being a couple 2 three years old I'd imagine you already worked the kinks out of your bike and made it "your own". Again my opinion, if you're happy with your current bike then that $10k would be better spent on motor work. With all that said, my bike is an 09 so I cannot compare the "upgrades" but I have no desire to buy a new one. Again just my opinions. Good luck

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Doesn't look like a bad deal.
You put a decent amount of miles on your bike so you get to restart at zero.
The RDRS is $1000 option that you can not get on your bike.
Upgrading to the newer GTS unit is worth something.
And upgrading to the 114 is also worth something.
You have to decide whether or not those upgrades are worth $8900.00
You also may want to factor in any mods you have done that you can not take with you. Exhaust, bars, tuner, ext.

....annnnnnnd Thread!!!!

Bingo

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
My 2018 Wicked Red RGS, 31K on the odo + $8900 OTD price...

trade for a new 2020 RGS, Black, RDRS option.

What do U guys think? Yea or nay?
In the end, the only one that can make the final decision is You.
There must be something that You like about the New 2020 that has You interested.
I came close to trading My 12 for a 20 a few months ago. I wanted the RDRS System but decided that I didn't want to take a beating on all the upgrades I had made on My 12.
Best of Luck in whatever You decide to do.
Keep Us posted and if You decide on the 2020 make sure to post some pics.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Are there a bunch of you upgrades you can move across? Bottom line if you like it more than your current bike, and the finances support it, why not!!! is that out the door with all taxes fees etc? IMO get them to include the first service or two...maybe some accessory credit...Other than that, whatever SE says...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Are there a bunch of you upgrades you can move across? Bottom line if you like it more than your current bike, and the finances support it, why not!!! is that out the door with all taxes fees etc? IMO get them to include the first service or two...maybe some accessory credit...Other than that, whatever SE says...
Yes that $8900 is OTD, every fee, tax, mv, included. Some stuff I can keep from my bike, like the windshield, seat, heel shift, levers, small stuff like that... but switching over the F47's I don't think will fly.
They already told me they are at the "take it or leave it" price... so more negotiating doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,317 Posts
Yes that $8900 is OTD, every fee, tax, mv, included. Some stuff I can keep from my bike, like the windshield, seat, heel shift, levers, small stuff like that... but switching over the F47's I don't think will fly.
They already told me they are at the "take it or leave it" price... so more negotiating doesn't seem likely.
That price may be the bottom line, but make sure you get a deal on any parts you may be purchasing 25% off any P/A for 30days after the sale seems reasonable.

·
Registered
2015 CVO Ultra traded for 2020 Black on Black RG Limited.
294 Posts
I traded a 2015 CVO with 69k on the clock for a Blacked out 2020, I had had some service issues that led the bride to not trust the bike. My first trip to a dealer after we got the new bike we could not figure out which bike was ours, there were 11 black Rode Glides, a few had chrome but hard to tell them apart. I now have a one off custom paint, Stage 2 TQ and no way to mistake mine for another, I did parlay the 5 year ESP and 3 years of scheduled maintenance in my deal. I still had 2 years of coverage on the 15 but when the boss says get the new one what could I do? In the end i would not have traded but got an excellent deal on a bike I didn't trust. Yours is different, but I can say the 20 is a superior ride and power plant so far. We have just shy of 5000 miles on it since early November and that's with 3 weeks for paint.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts