Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a gap between their inner fairing and the top air vent assembly (part the windshield screws into) on their 2015-2016 road glides? I took my fairing apart yesterday to install some vent screens and did not take notice if this gap was there before I started. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to fully seat into the inner fairing. It is pretty uniform at about 1/8" all across the top, but it seems like it would be bad if water got in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a shot from the right side on top

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm having a hard time trying to see in the pics where on the fairing/vent area you're speaking of, but just wondering, does the gap close up when you put the shield on & tighten up all the screws? I can't really tell on mine if there's a gap because the windshield is on, but IIRC, there is a slight gap between the two. Maybe pull your fairing back off & make sure there's nothing out of place under there that might be holding it from closing that gap up a bit more.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a wider shot of where I am talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
From the pictures it looks like the windshield is not installed. Should close when windshield is fully installed. If it doesn't I would take fairing off & reinstall.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There's no problem. Mine's exactly the same. Fits a little more flush (still a small space) above the radio/below the opening of top vent, then gradually tapers to more space (about what your picture shows) on the sides, moving from the center of top vent towards the outer part (towards edge of windshield) of the fairing. I've never had my fairing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, my new windshield should be here on Tuesday so I will report back after I get it installed and properly torqued down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am glad you posted this. I noticed the EXACT same thing when I installed a Hogtunes amp. I thought maybe the amp, or my wires, were somehow getting in the way and stopping it from closing correctly. I took it apart a couple of times to see if the gap would go away, and it didn't. Like you, I did not notice it before I took the fairing off. I thought I had something misaligned, but after seeing your post I guess it is a factory defect in alignment (at least on our two bikes).

I can get mine to squeeze together, but as soon as I let off pressure, it goes back to the small gap. I had a thought to use a velcro strap on both pieces (from the inside) to hold it together - maybe if I have a need to take the fairing off again I will see if that works.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can get mine to squeeze together, but as soon as I let off pressure, it goes back to the small gap.
Yep, this is the same with me. I installed my windshield and the gap remains there. It sort of has me freaked out about getting water down inside the fairing where all the electronics are. I know these bikes aren't sealed up SUPER tight, but I doubt having large gaping openings is going to help any. Maybe I'm just stressing over nothing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The top vent "duct assembly" has two clips on the bottom of it which "snap" it in place. The screws that hold the windshield on the duct assembly have little to no effect on closing the gap between the inner fairing and the the duct assembly.

While probably not watertight, neither are any other parts of the fairing, to include speaker housing, gauge housings, headlight assembly etc. You're sweating over nothing. That design has been in place going on four years now, and though they might exist, I have yet to hear about a meltdown caused by water entering the fairing.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BlazingSaddle, I tend to overthink these things and am a perfectionist by nature.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
....... Mine's exactly the same. Fits a little more flush (still a small space) above the radio/below the opening of top vent, then gradually tapers to more space (about what your picture shows) on the sides, moving from the center of top vent towards the outer part (towards edge of windshield) of the fairing. I've never had my fairing off.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2015 is exactly the same way, regardless of how many times I pull, push, adjust and tighten the fastners. Same as the OP, I never noticed it before I pulled my fairing to install my AMP. But during the reassembly I was like "what the hell?". My assumption is that it was always there and I just never noticed it.

Have a friend with a 2015 RG as well. Same gap on his right from the factory.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My 2017 Ultra is the same way..... Told the dealer about it before i rode off and he said that's the way they fit..... For the price of the bike you would think they would be better fitted. c'est la vie

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
For the price premium we pay for the Harley brand, the fit and finish might not be Bentley but at least it could be BMW :)

A small thing I realize, but that part could easily be re-spec'd, molds modified and parts with closer tolerances produced. It's not like this is a new issue and they haven't had time to address. It has been ongoing since the introduction of the Rushmore RG.

The thing that gets me is that the problem could probably be fixed with a mold rework, wouldn't even require brand new tooling.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Agreed but it's still a Harley
Design flaws are smoked screened by chrome and new parts to keep u distracted
Also there is something to be said for Rush production of the newer models pens Harley introduces new fixes and Band-Aids the next model year example that engine fan that should come on stock all Harley sells as an afterthought for the 17 models only...
So many things we could point out but we accept it and keep riding

1 - 17 of 17 Posts