Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was the day for the 10,000mi service and a couple other things on my '11 RGU. Headed out to the shop about 8:30 ready to knock it out. Sooon realized I should have just stayed in the house.

1. On ambulance call and can't hear the pager while riding so I'll just warm it up in the shop for a bit......start it up, walk into the back room to do some cleaning up and a couple minutes later hear a crash and the bike dies???WTF??
Walk around the corner and there's the bike laying on it's right side!!:eek: F%^&**K!!!
The bike is lowered with a modified jiffy stand but it's still a bit unstable with the forks turned to the right, which is apparently the way I had left it, and it simply vibrated it's way over onto it's side!!

Damnitt!!!, NEVER have I done that before. There appears to be no damage which is fortunate because it was very close to alot of equipment agains the wall.

2. Up on the lift, drained all the oil, refilled the primary case, walked around to the other side to fill the trans, standing there waiting for the last drips out of the bottle, looked down at the lift and thought "what's that d-r-a-i-n p-l-u F%^^&**(K!!!!" I just poured a full quart of Amsoil 85-140 in the top of the trans and right into the drain pan!!!! :eek::mad::eek:

Damnitt!!! NEVER have I done that before. Have now, and gotta stop on the way to work to pick up another quart of oil.

Did manage to get the engine oil and filter changed without further incident.

3. Went to take the air filter off of the Ness Big Sucker and promptly stripped the hex out of one of the stainless button heads holding the filter on.....
Damnitt!!! HAVE done that before but it's a pain in the ass, had to drill the head off the bolt, got that done, but not until after I had to sharpen the drill bit.

Off to work in a bit, that should go well..........

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the bike falling over, but I'm not gonna lie, the trans fluid incident is funny as hell. I haven't done it with the bike, but I have done it with a car or two along the way. Hope it gets better for you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would claim the EXTRA quart of trans fluid was to healp flush out the nooks and crannies to be more thruogh. Glad to hear there was no damage in the attemt to completely drain other fluids. When the day starts bad it only gets better!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's why the drain pan stays under the bike and car until everything is done. :confused:. Been there, done that too.
Good luck with the rest of your day

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Man it sounds like your related to me because if it can go wrong it usually does when I come in the house at night after working on something my wife doesn't say hi she says what did you do now she thinks its so funny that the older I get the more dumb shit I seem to do. Good luck I hope it gets better for you

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
9,736 Posts
In 2010 just before leaving for Pa , I was changing motor oil in the 08 RG , drained the oil , got distracted by someone stopping by for a moment , and promptly dumped four clean quarts into the drain pan on top of the dirty oil

Did I just say that:eek:

JtB

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
I had a day similar to that last week, I'm still blaming Q, lol. Anyway I'm in Hawaii now and will take care of my bike when I return. It might help for you to step away for a day and then go . I hope you get it all back together and everything is ok.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Whatzamatter?? Somethin got you distracked?? What, you got a big trip planned or somethin and you got yet head in the clouds LOL

Years ago I was changin the oil in the large car in front of my house, it had one of those oil filters in a metal canister. I buttoned everything up and cranked her up to check for leaks and pumped 8 GALLONS of fresh oil out on the ground, the canister wasn't seated in its groove....D'OH!!!! Good thing it was then instead of now, these days it'd be à major oil spill and we'd have to call the EPA!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts