Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most you guys will have twin cams (so do I) but I have a shovel that if it sits for a while will push about a pint out the breather. I suspect the check valve in the pump, last time it was apart it got a new ball and spring and the builder lapped the seat.

Any way to improve this situation?

BTW only one of my shovels do this, the other is just fine (in fact I don't think it has ever been apart).

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Keep clean oil in it before storing helps. Also , I run Lucas oil additive in mine and it helps from drying out and causing the valve to stick open.

·
Registered
618 Posts
How did your builder (lap) the seat. Usually tap the check ball with a skinny drift punch, fish it out with a magnet. Replace with new ball. My stroked shovel was done that way and no problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey fdr i have a 72 shovel and i lapped the ball in when i re re re built it and almost all shvels i run across have this issue in which i just smack it with a drift which usually cures it worst case youll have to pull the pump and lap it in

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, anybody got a shot of the lapping tool for this? I got lathe and mill to recreate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How did your builder (lap) the seat. Usually tap the check ball with a skinny drift punch, fish it out with a magnet. Replace with new ball. My stroked shovel was done that way and no problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
all it takes is a little flaw on that ball or seat.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks for that. I didn't know if the seat was spherical or just a cone shape.

I have some diamond lapping compound, I think I will cut a cast iron one to charge the diamond compound into the surface of the cast iron.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That tool is easily made, but we purchased an actual cutter from S&S some years ago to attend to that seat.
Not for nothing, but even new Softail's drain into the cases, but it is thrown back to the bag upon start up.
Scott

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That tool is easily made, but we purchased an actual cutter from S&S some years ago to attend to that seat.
Not for nothing, but even new Softail's drain into the cases, but it is thrown back to the bag upon start up.
Scott
Thanks Scott I appreciate hearing from the Pros on this problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts