Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
I bought a pack of the medium sized ones (3 per pack). They were 20% off and reasonably priced (as far as H-D stuff goes), so I thought I'd give them a try.

I keep a set of rain gear in two of them and the third is unused at the moment. They work as advertised, roll them up to purge the air and the valves seal and they stay compressed. Made of a plastic material which seems kinda flimsy but are holding up so far in my saddle bags.

Still, they are much cheaper than backpacking compression sacks!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I don't have rain suits (which I should since I live in Miami). Figured I can use these to stay organized in my saddle bags.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No problem! I bought them before a camping trip on the bike w/o any real plan on what to use them for. Decided to put mine & the misses rain gear in them. The gear used to take up about 3/4 of a saddle bag, now it only takes up a little less than half. Not a huge difference, but it helped as we were packed to the gills for the trip!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
My mom gave us a bunch with the Samsonite name on them. Used them on 2 of our bike trips this year. Makes a big difference is saving room.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Walmart has the Space Bags as well. They work pretty well, but will draw air over a long period of time. Nature abhors a vacuum.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We have only used them once on a trip to Kentucky lake, but they worked well for us. I don't know how long they will last, probably depends on protection from vibration, but they were pretty cheap. I use waterproof compression bags for our camping gear but the size and shape aren't right for clothes and gear you want to put in bags. The shrink sacks fit the bill.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yea, I've always used space bags on trips. I keep them in my empty luggage for the bike.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Another vote for space bags. Wife has a air mattress pump, that has reverse to suck the air out of them on trips.

Similar to this

·
Registered
454 Posts
Zip lock bags

I just use 1 gallon zip lock bags. Each bag holds a shirt, socks and underwear for each day. Roll them tight to squeeze the air out and then seal them up.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I just use 1 gallon zip lock bags. Each bag holds a shirt, socks and underwear for each day. Roll them tight to squeeze the air out and then seal them up.
+1 on the zip lock bags, they work real well and the price is right. I have been using ziplock bags for years and they shrink down nice if you leave enough room in them to roll out the air. And if one breaks or you loose one, no big deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Better than shrink sacks?

We bought the Harley shrinks for Sturgis this last summer, they worked O.K., used them for our rain gear. But the weird shape of them when loaded didn't really lend itself well to packing them in the bags. When we got back I went to Scheels and hit the camping equipment area, got small round stuff sacks with the drawstring top. Actually like them better for packing than the shrink sacks. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Larger Space Bags for jackets and jeans and the name brand Zip Locks for shirts, socks, etc. Splitting up daily wear into the Zip Locks makes it easier to pull out a fresh change of clothes without having to open up one large bag to rifle through. Down side of larger bags is that once you get a little moisture in a bag it can take a while in the sun to dry out. Use the freezer bags, they're thicker and hold up better.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and saw where they are starting to carry these too. I plan on using them when I get to make my next big trip.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The wife and I used one each XL the camping style on a 8 day road trip riding 2 up I know mine had 2 pr of pants, 5 underwear, 3 pr socks 5 t shirts, and 3 long tees. We each put our pack in a duffel and put on the tour pack .We still had rooms for rain suits, jackets and ll other necessary items. Spend the extra $ on the camping style it's was amazing how much they compress by just rolling down the top,then you wrapped the straps around them and they stayed compact all day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
for my rain gear, i have a small (8L) compression bag that i got from a local camping store.
this works GREAT. keeps very thing tight, dry and compressed. although, the rain gear is wrinkled, but i dont care.

and its waterproof to boot. saves a lot of space in the saddlebags.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been using compression bags since I was in the Army. They're a great way to save space. I usually get the Outdoor Research or L.L.Bean ones. Outdoor Research has them in about 5 sizes. I can pack a full HD Gore Tex rain suit, gloves and face mask in the small one which fits in my saddle bag. I use the larger ones for my luggage, leather jacket etc. You'll probably have to use it a bit before you figure out the tricks to getting the most in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts