Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 RG that shuts off after 6-10 miles, gives no codes and wont restart , I have taken the fuel pump out cleaned the filter and changed the fuel pump. I have checked the grounds. When I disconnect the fuel line and turn on the key, and press the start button I get very little fuel. I am wondering if I got a bad fuel pump, or has the fuel pressure regulator gone out? Any suggestions...

·
Registered
816 Posts
HD security on the bike? I just had to replace the batteries in my fobs
for the 2nd time. They go dead, bike wont start. Lights just flash at you.
I replace both at the same time. This time one fob worked and one didnt, did a little test by keeping the fobs at a distance, tried them one by one to check the security disengaged.

I didnt think it made any difference once the engine was running with the security,but maybe they built in something the software to keep looking for the fob signal. Just a thought...

Cant imagine the fuel pump moves very much volume. I have run my 07 so low on fuel. it will shut off going up or downhill while riding. Stop and wait, it will drain enough into the sump to pressurize the injectors, can get another 1/2 mile or so.

Most of the roadside shut offs I see in the truck shop where I servicewrite is
electric/electronic in nature. Loose harnesses, loose or corroded pins in the plugs,grounds, chafed wires, etc. I have seen my techs spend a looong time chasing a fault, disassemble a harness and find a tiny chafe screwing things up. Throw codes and everything. We have the drivers do a "wiggle" test on the engine harnesses if the truck will start and idle, see if it shuts off. Diagnosed more than afew that way. Firetrucks are the worst. Get some green corrosion on a couple of those tiny pins and plugs, be there all day trying to find it.

I had a 1300C VTX Honda that started acting like for all the world that it had water in the fuel. Drained and refilled , cleaned out everything, stll misfired and backfired and stalled. Stealer was going to start replacing very expensive , non returnable electrical components, no idea what was wrong.
Read on a very good VTX forum I was on at the time, seems there was a problem on certain VTXs with the wiring breaking on the 28 pin connector to the ecm.
Sure enough, inspected the wiring at the plug and found a wire broken INSIDE the insulation on the kill switch circuit. Would touch enough to run,
but would vibrate and separate inside the wire sheath. It was the same thing as shutting the bike on and of with the kill switch, make it backfire. it would idle perfectly all day.
5 minutes with a soldering iron, and a pc of shrink tube , all fixed. The dealer said they had never heard of such a thing. :rolleyes: ( VTXs have a fork shake issue, just like the posts here on the newer roadies. Shitty neck bearings)

I hope your shutdown problem is stupid simple and easy to fix...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Check the fuel line in the tank for cracks. The convoluted line is sometimes hard to tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have replaced the fuel lines and the fuel pump, no it wont start
turn on ignition switch hear the pump kick on then it turns off, will pump fuel till you turn off start switch. so it shouldnt be fuel. can the ecm get hot and then stop working?

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Coil pacs are also famous for not producing spark when a bad one heats up.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I just found out about a recall on all 08
RG's
I've got a 2008, what is the recall about?

Any link to the actual recall or specific info?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've got a 2008, what is the recall about?

Any link to the actual recall or specific info?
I believe it is for a fast idle issue. They will flash the ECM to take care of it. At least thats what they did to my 08.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
+1 on the fob make sure the batteries are in good condition. If it is a fuel pressure issue there should be codes. Cracked fuel line will only make the bike run bad, kind of like you got bad gas, but the bike won't shut down. It could be in the kill switch or the ignition switch, that would make the bike shut down without throwing codes because the ECM will just see it as the bike being turned off, also if the stator is not charging you can have running issues. Sometimes it may be better to have a tech look at it. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts