Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I thought I had made up my mind on a Sport Flare, Windvest or a Freedom is likely what I'll end up with.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Interesting reading, I have already ordered the 12" WindVest in gun smoke. Looks like I have made a good choice, I am 5' 11' and looking forward to the arrival of the shield.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 2011 and had a klock werks 12" and I loves the looks and the wind was not bad but passenger complained all the time that they got twice the wind so I got a 12" wind vest and I like it and she loves it too

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Let us know how you like it after installation. Thanks
Be glad too, it is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Give me a couple days to check it out after install.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
No Madstad being tested ??

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Just thought I would share this article about windshields for the 15 RG.
I know we all spend countless bucks trying to find the right height.

http://www.bikernetbaggers.com/pages/2015_ROADGLIDE_WINDSCREEN_SHOOTOUT.aspx
I got my Wind Vest delivered yesterday and was able to do a 60 mile test loop. I had the stock 8" shield from the factory.

The first 30 miles was with the upper and lower vents open at a speed of 70 mph (I did not see a reason to do a slow speed test). As noted in the above listed shootout info, I found about the same results as the taller rider did, I am 5'11". I feel I could hear the radio better than they had listed at highway speeds.

On the 30 mile trip back, all remained the same, except the lower vents were closed. I felt with the lower vents closed it was not as windy on my arms. Closing the top vent on the way back did not change the wind on my helmet very much, maybe just a bit more impact, maybe. That was about the only dif between the two.

I did move a hand around my helmet to see how the wind was and it felt like it was just going above the helmet. If I sat with my back as straight as I could, the wind did hit the top of my helmet, but not bad and I do not ride that way. At my normal riding position, I was able to look over the windshield about 2" above, which I believe they say you should.

I am pretty happy with the Wind Vest so far and time will give me a better idea how well I like it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
15, thanks for the feedback. I'm 6' but have a seat that sets back 1.5" and is lower than stock. Going to try a 10".

·
Registered
454 Posts
No Madstad being tested ??
Yeah a pretty selective and narrow review. I can understand them choosing the most likely windshields the average rider would pick, Windvest, Klock Werks and HD. I wouldn't put to much credence based on riders height, one 6ft and on 5ft 6in. Neither one is average male height, which is considered 5'10". For a true comparison you need a wider range of riders. Thankfully there are Forums like this which fill the gap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty insightful for someone who is 6 ft tall, it helped me make up my mind on the Windvest. Unfortunately the windshield I want is on back order. Oh well, I'll get a chance to fond out for myself if this is the right one for me by the time I get back form bike week.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It may not be your overall height

I've noted a lot of post where the person will give his or her overall height. I would think it would be more about your torso length, how do you sit in the saddle (tall or short) makes the bigger difference i.e, I'm 5'10" but I have an inseam of of a 5' 4" guy and torso of a 6' 4" guy, that's to say I have a long torso and short legs, sat next to a guy on a flight, and this guy was 6"8", I sat higher in my seat than he, go figure, all legs. My point is, no two riders have the same dimension, so why settle for a standard hight of windshield? So one shield may be perfect for this guy, but the next fella, it would not, mind you, same over all height but different inseams. Plus settling for a shield that's measured per inch, say 10" to 16", where would you fit in, not everybody, i"m certain.

Here's novel idea, how about an adjustable shield that lets you set it for your own height, plus add some angle if you need it. Need I say more, get a Mastad, it will minimize your vast collection of old shield, why, because you'll never have to by another. Yes I'm bias, on my second Madstad and yes I have a collection of shields too, anyone interested in a couple of Cee Baileys. LOL

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
I've noted a lot of post where the person will give his or her overall height. I would think it would be more about your torso length, how do you sit in the saddle (tall or short) makes the bigger difference i.e, I'm 5'10" but I have an inseam of of a 5' 4" guy and torso of a 6' 4" guy, that's to say I have a long torso and short legs, sat next to a guy on a flight, and this guy was 6"8", I sat higher in my seat than he, go figure, all legs. My point is, no two riders have the same dimension, so why settle for a standard hight of windshield? So one shield may be perfect for this guy, but the next fella, it would not, mind you, same over all height but different inseams. Plus settling for a shield that's measured per inch, say 10" to 16", where would you fit in, not everybody, i"m certain.

Here's novel idea, how about an adjustable shield that lets you set it for your own height, plus add some angle if you need it. Need I say more, get a Mastad, it will minimize your vast collection of old shield, why, because you'll never have to by another. Yes I'm bias, on my second Madstad and yes I have a collection of shields too, anyone interested in a couple of Cee Baileys. LOL
So your saying your built like a .......... :eek:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts