Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 1 month new to my RGL and the colder weather is on the way here soon and sure would be nice to close/block off those big side vents. Am I wrong, or bad memory, but did the RG's not have open/close vents in the past? I test rode one a few years back and was sure the vents were "closable".

Those are some pretty big open funnels on the sides of the fairing. Nice in the hot weather, but it would be nice to stop bugs, bees, rain & cold air coming in there.

Does Harley have something...a retro-fit kit? Or how about the aftermarket? If not open/close, some kind of vent kit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
They do close...if you like inside from the riders position you will see levers/buttons in both tunnels

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm 1 month new to my RGL and the colder weather is on the way here soon and sure would be nice to close/block off those big side vents. Am I wrong, or bad memory, but did the RG's not have open/close vents in the past? I test rode one a few years back and was sure the vents were "closable".

Those are some pretty big open funnels on the sides of the fairing. Nice in the hot weather, but it would be nice to stop bugs, bees, rain & cold air coming in there.

Does Harley have something...a retro-fit kit? Or how about the aftermarket? If not open/close, some kind of vent kit?
They stopped making them for 2020. People (including me on both my 2017 and 2019) were having trouble with the mechanism either breaking or sticking and the flap no longer staying open. I think you can buy a set and install them on you 2020 not sure how pricey they are though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They stopped making them for 2020. People (including me on both my 2017 and 2019) were having trouble with the mechanism either breaking or sticking and the flap no longer staying open. I think you can buy a set and install them on you 2020 not sure how pricey they are though.
Hmmm...sounds kind of lame. If it's not working correct then fix it?!? Much easier to discontinue it though I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My bad sorry, I own a 2019 never had issue with any of the flaps....didn't know they discontinued them..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maybe you can buy some of the screens available to keep bugs out and simply add a black backing behind the screens? Home Depot has some black laminate flooring tiles that you could cut or rubber under floor stuff on a roll cut by the foot.

You'd never see it. Not off the shelf but also not expensive and the screens are designed to be inserted without too much fuss so you can remove them just as easily.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
they are pretty cheap to install yourself if you wanted to go that route. look at item 32 on the attached. i think i heard where someone here on the forum had got their's for $177 going through one of the discounters.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I believe part 30 is the part that always fails. I was able to clean mine on the 17. Haven't taken the 19 apart yet to see if I can just clean this one or if it is actually broken this time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are pretty cheap to install yourself if you wanted to go that route. look at item 32 on the attached. i think i heard where someone here on the forum had got their's for $177 going through one of the discounters.

View attachment 418427
Thanks skratch! Where did you find this parts breakdown? I searched the HD site and couldn’t find anything.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My bad sorry, I own a 2019 never had issue with any of the flaps....didn't know they discontinued them..
The majority of riders that don’t use the vents in the closed position are in California. So they don’t need to close them. And most up North garage their bikes six months of the year when cooler, so don’t need to close them.
So Harley based their decision on the vents, they say, because no one closes the vents. Harley also can save money by not producing the models with vents.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There was a post a while ago where someone was talking about putting the screens in then getting a magnetic sheet and cutting it to fit. Put the sheet on the front side of the screens. Or some high density foam and jam it in there.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Thanks skratch! Where did you find this parts breakdown? I searched the HD site and couldn’t find anything.
on the hd site, you wouldn't find it. that's for parts and accessories. what you are looking for is oem parts. I like the suburban Harley parts fiche, https://shop.suburbanharley.com/oem-parts
alternatively, you can see parts manuals on the Harley service information portal, along with owner's manuals, wiring diagrams, etc.

Reactions: lefty33

·
Registered
35 Posts
DO the screen things to keep bugs out and then get some magnetic mats and cut them to shape and slap them on to the outside of the screens. Or stuff a piece of the soft black foam pad in from the inside

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The majority of riders that don’t use the vents in the closed position are in California. So they don’t need to close them. And most up North garage their bikes six months of the year when cooler, so don’t need to close them.
So Harley based their decision on the vents, they say, because no one closes the vents. Harley also can save money by not producing the models with vents.
Seems like a feeble excuse as opposed to a fix or solution. I'm sure guys in CA & southern states would like the option to close them to keep out rain, bugs, road debris, and pretty sure it gets cool there sometimes as well. As far as us up north, don't think I've ever "garaged" my bike for 6 months...4 or 5 months max. I'll ride till they start sanding/salting the roads so I do ride in some frosty temps.

on the hd site, you wouldn't find it. that's for parts and accessories. what you are looking for is oem parts. I like the suburban Harley parts fiche, https://shop.suburbanharley.com/oem-parts
alternatively, you can see parts manuals on the Harley service information portal, along with owner's manuals, wiring diagrams, etc.
Thanks again skratch! I'll check out Suburban. I'm assuming then the reference is from a 2019 RGU. I've usually used Ronnies and looked there, but of course for a 2020 so nothing there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was thinking of adding these vents as well on my 2020. Any folks that have these closable vents actually use them?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I leave mine closed all the time. If it’s hot, I don’t need hot air in my face.....same thing when it’s cold.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts