41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are those grills made out of aluminum?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
You know what? That is an excellent question and boy am I dumb for not checking first. It appears they are..... plastic. Oh well. On to plan B.... I will put a magnetic sheet on both sides... positive on one side to negative on the other. I think that should work. I'll come up with something. Damn if I'm going to pay $150 for something HD should have included in the first place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get some stainless mesh and fabricate them yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do any of these magnetic sheets come without the adhesive? Otherwise you got a bug trap.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You know what? That is an excellent question and boy am I dumb for not checking first. It appears they are..... plastic. Oh well. On to plan B.... I will put a magnetic sheet on both sides... positive on one side to negative on the other. I think that should work. I'll come up with something. Damn if I'm going to pay $150 for something HD should have included in the first place.
If HD had included them your bike would have been more expensive. The MSRP on a 2019 is MORE then a 2020.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2016 with VentScreens on all three vents and that works for me (until a mechanism breaks). Lots of other good ideas here on the subject. However, if you have a pre 2020 bike with the vent mechanism, and you just want a good laugh, remove the windshield and "Cowl Assembly" and look at the mechanisms. If the person who designed it is still working for HD, I hope it's on something that has no safety or performance ramifications.

·
Registered
824 Posts
first off the air coming thru the vents doesn't hit you in the face, and it helps big time with the air coming over the windshield hitting your helmet. less turbulance on your head. i put the screens in and made a set of magnetic fillers out of sheet magnet bought at hobby lobby. the screens i bout were alum. so glued a 1" neodymium magnet on the inside so when i put the mag. sheet in from the outside it holds it in place, the wind holds it when riding but when stopped it could fall out. also i just finished 10,000mi trip in june and aug. and was always pickin bee's and dragon flies out of the screens, without the screens would have been wearin them.
thumbnail_20200517_212732.jpg

Reactions: lefty33 and Jeff_S

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Get some stainless mesh and fabricate them yourself.
Although these are great ideas and will work fine once installed, it's kind of difficult to do at 70 mph when an unexpected rain showers come up. I'd like the option of open/close while on the fly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Although these are great ideas and will work fine once installed, it's kind of difficult to do at 70 mph when an unexpected rain showers come up. I'd like the option of open/close while on the fly.
if caught in an unexpected rain shower do you stop to put on your rain suit? if not the small amount of water coming thru the vents won't get you any wetter. if you do stop you pop in the magnets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
if caught in an unexpected rain shower do you stop to put on your rain suit? if not the small amount of water coming thru the vents won't get you any wetter. if you do stop you pop in the magnets.
Sure. Great if that works for you. I however would like something more functional and will be installing the vent kits that open & close from previous year models.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
We got caught in a heavy rain for many miles last weekend - No vents on my '20.....never even thought about rain coming in from the faring as it was coming from everywhere else

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
We got caught in a heavy rain for many miles last weekend - No vents on my '20.....never even thought about rain coming in from the faring as it was coming from everywhere else
LOL. Full face helmet FTW. Oh and I had my vents closed, on the lowers too.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sure. Great if that works for you. I however would like something more functional and will be installing the vent kits that open & close from previous year models.
the reason they stopped puttin the closeable vents in this yrs bike is they DON'T WORK', read the other replies on here, they kept closing on their own but if you want to spend couple hundred on something that will sometimes work, your choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
the reason they stopped puttin the closeable vents in this yrs bike is they DON'T WORK', read the other replies on here, they kept closing on their own but if you want to spend couple hundred on something that will sometimes work, your choice.
They seem to work for some so think I'll take my chances with them. And if they happen to keep closing on their own, I think I'd prefer that to open all the time. Great thing is we can all make individual choices for what may/may not work for each of us. One thing for sure is it won't be the worst couple of hundred bucks I've ever spent.

·
Registered
824 Posts
They seem to work for some so think I'll take my chances with them. And if they happen to keep closing on their own, I think I'd prefer that to open all the time. Great thing is we can all make individual choices for what may/may not work for each of us. One thing for sure is it won't be the worst couple of hundred bucks I've ever spent.
go for it, just pay attention to the wind turbulance on your helmet at hwy speeds, i noticed it big time just closing the top vent on my ride in aug. so any long all day rides your neck takes a beating. and if you do multi day or month long rides like i do it adds up.

Reactions: lefty33

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was thinking of adding these vents as well on my 2020. Any folks that have these closable vents actually use them?
Same as Craigffb. My 2016 sometimes needs a couple of pushes on the button to open or close but has never failed.

Reactions: ChromeSpark

·
Registered
164 Posts
HA HA...hard to believe two little holes in the fairing do so much for some folks riding...if its raining, your getting wet whether them holes are closed or open, if its cold out, you're gonna be cold whether them holes are closed or open, if its blazing hot out, like here in AZ, you're gonna be blazing hot, whether them holes are open or closed. One of my buds, has a 19, no vents, was a rental, so maybe why they're not on his? he got a deal on it. Mines a 20, and only heard of these, and only seen pictures on here. FWIW, I don't know what if anything they would help with, but i do know from washing my bike, it would be one more thing embedded with bugs. As of now, I can pull the soap sponge thingy thru to clean if there's guts/residue, usually not. that little flapper up top has more death and dismemberment of bugs, almost as much as the headlight. My .02, still chuckling at some of the posts...folks need to ride! RIde On! ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
HA HA...hard to believe two little holes in the fairing do so much for some folks riding...if its raining, your getting wet whether them holes are closed or open, if its cold out, you're gonna be cold whether them holes are closed or open, if its blazing hot out, like here in AZ, you're gonna be blazing hot, whether them holes are open or closed. One of my buds, has a 19, no vents, was a rental, so maybe why they're not on his? he got a deal on it. Mines a 20, and only heard of these, and only seen pictures on here. FWIW, I don't know what if anything they would help with, but i do know from washing my bike, it would be one more thing embedded with bugs. As of now, I can pull the soap sponge thingy thru to clean if there's guts/residue, usually not. that little flapper up top has more death and dismemberment of bugs, almost as much as the headlight. My .02, still chuckling at some of the posts...folks need to ride! RIde On! ;)
Guess you can't miss what you haven't got.😜

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
HA HA...hard to believe two little holes in the fairing do so much for some folks riding...if its raining, your getting wet whether them holes are closed or open, if its cold out, you're gonna be cold whether them holes are closed or open, if its blazing hot out, like here in AZ, you're gonna be blazing hot, whether them holes are open or closed.

...folks need to ride!
sure, if it's raining, you're going to get wet. but with the vents open, the water is directed straight into my face where it goes up under my glasses. with the vents closed, I don't get the water behind my glasses. so yeah, I may be wet, but at least I can see.

and I fail to see what having or not having vents has anything to do with whether or not a person rides? am I not allowed to be comfortable while I ride? or do I have to be hard?

the dead bugs thing? well, if you put vent screens on (recommended), you aren't going to be pulling/pushing sponges through there anyway..

I haven't ridden as much as normal due to this coronavirus, but I've got a little less than 10k this year. is that enough riding for you?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts