·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks great. I have the Carbon Fiber GB and love it. It says the MOD will come in Carbon. It would be nice if it’s true CF.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shoei's quality, fit and comfort are superior to Simpson's, as it their "customize-ability" and customer service.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'll never know, neither of them make a helmet big enough for me.

Reactions: craigffb

·
Registered
57 Posts
Awww awesome. Tell how much better the stuff you have is because you have it.
Not because I own it, but because I sell it. The place I work at has at least a dozen brands of helmets, so I get to touch, feel, try on, disassemble and assemble all of them. I also get to see which helmets wear well and which helmets get returned for repair or are just plain broken. Shoei allows us to exchange cheek pads at no cost to the consumer for a proper, customized fit, others (including Arai) do not offer such a program. Arai has an adjustable top liner and cheek pads that allow you to remove foam 5mm at at time, but you'll have to buy the pads at $48/set. We became a Simpson dealer a few months back and everything we've ordered is back ordered. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean it's a quality product.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Shoei also has been making motorcycle helmets longer than Simpson, there were originally race car helmet, but there growing and getting better, let's face it my shoei from 1992 was my first full face and it was heavy as a brick and hot as hell, I prefer my Bell qualifier over the two just on my own liking, but with shoei also comes the price, alot of variables to consider, Bell has a 5 year warranty on there helmets too, so everyone has a preference .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shoei also has been making motorcycle helmets longer than Simpson, there were originally race car helmet, but there growing am getting better, let's face it my shoei from 1992 was my first full face and it was heavy as a brick and hot as hell, I prefer my Bell qualifier over the two just on my own liking, but with shoei also comes the price, alot of variables yo consider, Bell has a 5 year warranty on there helmets too, so everyone has a preference .
You are 100% correct. Shoei started making helmets in the 60's and Arai started in the 50's. Simpson started out as a car safety equipment manufacturer in the 1960's and began making car helmets in the late 70's. Car helmets don't vent like motorcycle helmets because they don't need to....not much air behind the windshield. The best helmet you can buy is this: One that is properly fitted, is comfortable and meets at least a basic safety standard (DOT, Snell, ECE, etc.). A $1000 helmet won't do you much good if it doesn't fit right and you won't wear it if it's not comfortable. Sometimes fit and comfort come at a price and sometimes you can find what you need for $200.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well said, if you don't like the fit, no matter how cool it looks you won't wear it, and proper size is so important, my first full face I went to big broke in and was loose had to buy another one, PIA it was, but yes venting to me was important because I want to wear mine into the spring and fall to winter, for summer I have a half helmet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well said B407...Shoei makes a great helmet,my GT Air is quiet,fits well but after 2 1/2 years the bottoms of the cheek pads started peeling off...I called ,sent pictures to Shoei's customer service(Don) he told me that this is NORMAL WEAR??????Really a 600.+dollar helmet with a five year warranty in half its warranty life has this issue and its normal wear...(new cheek pads are 59.00 bucks).Sorry Shoei but not in my book....Its now on the shelf and I'm thrilled to have a new Nolan N87 that is every bit equal to the GT-Air except in price,its half the price of the GT-Air.....Didn't mean to vent but you need to know the whole story before you blow out 600 bucks for a Helmet.....Nolan's customer service was great when i had an issue with my n-90,sent me new parts no questions....FYI...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Oh believe me i hear that, no way should that happen when your dropping $600 clams on a lid, i would have been upset myself. I like Shoei don't get me wrong but i think there a bit overpriced, JMO, i am very happy with my Bell Qualifier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well said B407...Shoei makes a great helmet,my GT Air is quiet,fits well but after 2 1/2 years the bottoms of the cheek pads started peeling off...I called ,sent pictures to Shoei's customer service(Don) he told me that this is NORMAL WEAR??????Really a 600.+dollar helmet with a five year warranty in half its warranty life has this issue and its normal wear...(new cheek pads are 59.00 bucks).Sorry Shoei but not in my book....Its now on the shelf and I'm thrilled to have a new Nolan N87 that is every bit equal to the GT-Air except in price,its half the price of the GT-Air.....Didn't mean to vent but you need to know the whole story before you blow out 600 bucks for a Helmet.....Nolan's customer service was great when i had an issue with my n-90,sent me new parts no questions....FYI...
Maybe because I work for a retailer, but I'm a bit surprised at Shoei's response.....that has not been my experience. Having said that, liners "should" be considered a wear item. I wear a head sock to keep my lids from getting funky, but if you wear your helmet daily you'll sweat in it, get natural skin and hair oils in it plus any product you may use in your hair. If you wash your liner regularly, you will get better life out of it, but like underwear or t-shirts, your liner resides in constant contact with your body and will deteriorate over time. The LEO guys we service get a new liner every year because they wear their lids daily for 8-10 hours / day. How you care for your helmet will have an impact on it's life....don't leave it in the garage or out in the sun, wash the liner regularly, wear a head sock, lube the ratcheting mechanism yearly and clean the bugs and crap off it often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts