Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
HD was touting the twin cam set-up as a better mousetrap vs the single-cam Evo's, in most of the cycle magazines when they were bringing them to market back in 1998-99, using better valvetrain geometry as a selling point.
They also boasted back then, how strong the new crankshaft was......:)
Gear drives will be available soon for the M8 engines asap.
Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
I remember when the twin cam was launched, HD was trying real hard to convince riders the the twin cam was soooooo much better. there were a lot of riders that did not like the twin cam. I've owned one evo, one twin cam 88 and one twin cam 103. I don't see any improvement. Granted I am just a regular guy. I don't ride 800,000 miles in a month nor do I rebuild engines on Wednesday evenings. I just ride. I am glad to see the return of the single cam but don't intend to buy a new bike anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I will want to hear one. Gear whine is a concern.
Pan's, Evo's, Shovel's which are single cams are not known for gear whine, and maybe a handful, of all the T/C's gear drives we installed from 2000-2016 have had a very slight whine.
Gear whine with a gear/gear set-up is not a common occurance, at least not here.
Scott

·
Registered
165 Posts
HD was touting the twin cam set-up as a better mousetrap vs the single-cam Evo's, in most of the cycle magazines when they were bringing them to market back in 1998-99, using better valvetrain geometry as a selling point.
Scott
Yea, one problem with the one cam evo was the exhaust pushrod/valve angle was too much.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Scott
Yea, one problem with the one cam evo was the exhaust pushrod/valve angle was too much.
They went with the single cam so they could introduce a reconfigured twin cam M8 for their next "revolutionary" design. :grin:

On another note along the same lines, I could have sworn there was some EPA noise emission thing that had to do with why they don't come with gear cams in the first place. Yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds. I probably read it in some other forum, haha!

·
Administrator
10,391 Posts
On another note along the same lines, I could have sworn there was some EPA noise emission thing that had to do with why they don't come with gear cams in the first place. Yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds. I probably read it in some other forum, haha!
You would be surprised and amazed at the number of minor and major changes to various parts of the motosickles , that Harley has done because of the EPA and noise or emissions regulations ..

·
Registered
927 Posts
You would be surprised and amazed at the number of minor and major changes to various parts of the motosickles , that Harley has done because of the EPA and noise or emissions regulations ..
When it comes to the EPA, nothing, and I mean nothing surprises me. As long as you keep paying someone to regulate, guess what you're going to keep getting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts