Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done with the brutal task of installing the sirius XM unit into my '12 Ultra today.:D I knew it was going to be here but decided I wouldn't tear down the bike until I had it in my hands. UPS dropped if off at 2:30 this afternoon so I went out into the garage and got elbow deep. by 3pm I was listening to channel 1 and on hold with XM getting my account squared away. I have 2 Sirius radios and now with this XM radio I appearently need a second account as they don't mix match quit yet. I got that all squared away and played around with it setting favorites and such. By about 3:45 I had it all buttoned up and rocking the XM. A dirt simple install and saved an easy 160 to 200 labor at the stealer!

BTW
Some of the parts dealers including my local guys told me they needed to flash the ECM/HU to recoginize the XM unit is installed, charging me at least 30 minutes labor to do so. This isn't the case, I hooked it up and it works like a charm without and dealer getting into my pocket for 40 to 50 bucks.

Thanks to PCpaiN for the schweeet deal on the parts and the heads up on not needing any ecm/HU flash etc.. He hooked me up with the XM unit, the correct wiring harness and shipping for less than I could get the XM unit alone for at my local stealer.

Thanks Jon it sounds sweet!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should only need to flash the units on aftermarket radios.

good job on the install. take any pics?
I forgot the pics. Heres a quick over view though.

It's a single existing screw in the back of the radio you remove, place the xm unit on top of the radio, line up the mounting points into the rubber mounts and replace the screw to hold the unit on. Install wiring harness which is labeled. You basically unplug the CB and plug the new Y harness into the factory harness. Plug in the cb to the new harness location labeled CB then plug in the XM unit to the harness at the you guessed it......labeled XM location. Install antenna and fire it up...... Really elementary install to save some cash.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I installed the iPod interface a few months ago which is on top of the radio also. I wonder if you can only have one or the other?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Witt
Sure seems like it doesn't it. I would bet Jon could answer that question. I'd rather have the sat radio even at the 10 bucks a month if given the choice. My iPod is ok and I have about 500 songs on it but it seems like I have heard them all a hundred times.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm having the dealer install the interface and antenna. My question is do I need to get an XM radio or a Sirius radio?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
Sort of a toss up between paying the dealer 30 minutes of labor and having to screw with getting the fairing back together and buttoned up if you do it yourself ..... I guess it comes down to what you have more of, patience or money. I don't have a lot of money, but I seem to have even less patience in dealing with mechanical things these days. I always thought I'd have more patience as I got older ... but it doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where did you buy your XM unit from? Thanks for the info on the unit and correct harness for the install. I have several Ipods, but don't want to mess with them going down the road. This is my first touring model with tunes, but I'm in the same boat as you. If I can save a couple hondo from the stealership, then I will put it on myself. I already have a couple of XM accounts as well. Great info on the post.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I'm having the dealer install the interface and antenna. My question is do I need to get an XM radio or a Sirius radio?
Where did you buy your XM unit from? Thanks for the info on the unit and correct harness for the install. I have several Ipods, but don't want to mess with them going down the road. This is my first touring model with tunes, but I'm in the same boat as you. If I can save a couple hondo from the stealership, then I will put it on myself. I already have a couple of XM accounts as well. Great info on the post.
I have a single subscription for the SIRIUS satellite radio. I use the Docking Stations and move it around.
I have Docking station on my bike, the car, garage, house and a home station with computer speakers so I can just plug
it in and have SIRIUS anywhere. I have the SIRIUS Docking Port installed on my right handlebar. This makes
it easy to change channels without taking my hands away from the handlebars, even with gloves.

I used the plate (76313-98) from Harley Hand Held CB Microphone kit (76312-98) to mount the
docking station on the handlebars. I then just taped the cigarette lighter inside the fairing for power.
I used the FM Direct adapter to get the sound in the radio. It plugs in the antenna input. This keeps
any local stations on the same frequency from interfering with the signal, but still listen to them.
The SIRIUS antenna is just magnetically mounted on top of the radio inside the fairing.
I have not had any problems with the signal. I made a nylon cover for anytime it rains.
If it starts and I am riding, I can stop and put it over the radio, or just reach up and take it off.
I have been caught in heavy rain before and have not had the SIRIUS damaged from rain.
I bet you can use the XM store module that plugs in and do the same without using the Harley module.​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts