Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the look of tour packs but could use some extra space. Are sissybar bags that evil or is there a reason most sharks have the pack on back?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I opted for a removable tour pack on my 16RGS. I can lock the tour pack and it's waterproof. I'm going to attach a rack on top of the tour pack for additional storage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you don't want to go the tourpak method, a good sturdy sissy bar bag would certainly make a big difference in space if that's what you're after. My wife and I rode our bikes using luggage bags on the back seat attached to a passenger backrest (or you can use with a luggage rack to keep the back seat free) to Sturgis and back from So Cal. It was a 10 day trip, we had all types of weather, and they did better than we expected and kept everything safe and dry. The only sort of downside was having to strap them in every morning, but after the first couple of days, we had the strapping process down solid and quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hate the look of tour packs but could use some extra space. Are sissybar bags that evil or is there a reason most sharks have the pack on back?
Get some docking hardware installed and you can change as needed. Tons of aftermarket stuff out there. I don't like tour packs, or sissy bars either. Sometimes necessary, especially with the GF.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
Detachable tourpak vs soft sided luggage

Pros for tourpak;

Lockable, both the pack and to your bike.
Rubber seal keeps things dry.
You can use fitted bags for tourpak and saddlebags to transport your stuff from the bike to your accomodation
you don't have to strap it down each day and keep track of bungee cords. Locked on and left there for the duration of your trip. Can also be used to transport beer/pizza/liquor/buckets of chicken/stuff you just have buy when on a road trip, when you've reached your desitnation
Detach when you're at home and voila you're back to Special
add more lighting to your bike especially in the rear where we are most vulnerable at night or in the rain

Pros for soft side luggage
lighter in weight, weight can be kept lower on the bike to keep center of gravity lower
amazing what you can pack into the soft sided luggage, not limited by rounded square shape of the tourpak some have expansion zippers to take even more stuff home than you brought to begin with
watertight? doubles as a cooler when you reach your destination
need to take it off in a hurry, yes easier than a tourpak.
rain covers usually have reflective striping/piping or ribbons to keep you safe in rainy and darker conditions

Me after years of touring I prefer a tourpak, last bike it was detachable, new bike went with an Ultra. 4 pairs of socks, 4 pairs of underwear, 3 short sleeve shirts, 1 longsleeve shirt, 1 bunny hug(hoodie), 2 pair swim shorts, flip flops and shave kit in the tourpak. Riding gear and tools/oil/1 gallon of gas in the saddlebags and giver. I use a collapsible soft bag by Tbags on the luggage rack to hold my rain gear, always handy that way. I always come home with more shirts, even though I say I won't I always do.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I used a T-Bag for years before I bought a bike with a Tour-Pak. Nothing evil about them. But, it is easier to lock it and go when traveling. With a quick detach, you can look cool when not on tour. Truth be told, if I over pack or buy too much stuff, the T-Bag may be used on the rear seat. I do prefer the tour-pak for trips, but nothing wrong with a good bag on the back seat or rack either. Just remember that they are not lockable and usuall come with a waterproof liner to actually pack in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the detailed replies. Certainly seems like the tourpack would be more convenient and secure. Hmmm ... maybe I'll have to just deal with the looks of them.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My 1st tour pak was on a new 99 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I didn't like it but it was not easily removable. Since I couldn't see it when riding,it stayed on. Within a week I was a believer. I've been running a tour pac ever since. I naturally go there before my saddle bags. You might also.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you ride solo with a solo seat you can add a luggage rack & soft bag. I went from having a tourpack to not having one. Don't miss it 99.99% of the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a large backpack I put on the passenger seat and bungee cord to the sissy bar...I'll probably grab a larger bag from HD or kuryakyn for those longer trips. It's easy and convenient for me to just untie it and bring it with me. Then again I was in the military and I can fit 100 lbs of sh1t in a 5 lb sack :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Check out Tourrest. It's a tour pack style backrest that attaches to a HD sissy bar. I had one on my '13 RGC.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I did the sissy bar and T-bag thing for years because I like the way the bike looked without the tour pak, most of the time I didn't even have the sissy bar on when riding local. Then I decided to try out a tour pak which I figured I would only have on the bike when on road trips and then I would take it off. But after using the tour pak I decided to keep it on the bike because the extra storage was nice to have. The main advantage to having the tour pak was that I could put a couple of helmets in the tour pac and I couldn't even fit 1 helmet in the t-bag (except my novelty helmet), of course the waterproof and locking feature is a bonus too. Don't worry after a little time the looks will grow on you.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
They are very convenient but I didn't always have mine on and as a matter of fact I only use it when going on really long trips. Mine is a King Tour Pak and I bought that size for the space since they all cost the same. But if all you need is a just a little extra space the Chopped Tour Pak doesn't look so bulky and still lets you put in a half helmet, jacket and a bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't like the looks of the tourpack especially but appreciate the security so as a compromise I went with the detachable chopped tour pack with locking hardware which is okay when I am alone. Since the OL now rides most trips with me and we stay out 2 or more weeks at a time we strap a T-Bags on the luggage rack also.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I bought a Chinese quick detach mount, 12"x26"x.25 aluminum ( cut out some to lighten it), dremmeled it smooth. I had the parts powder coated, added spacers between the mount and the aluminum so the bags would still open. I can carry my golf clubs on it or 2 nelson rig 80L drybags. It is no wider than the bags. It also makes a great backrest weather (sp) you get a solo mount or a 2up mount. 160L of storage. On and off in 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts