Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be headed out on September 19 to Gatlinsburg TN. We are going to stop around the area of Skyline Drive in VA for the night Saturday and ride that Sunday AM on our way south. My question is, what is a decent hotel/motel near restaurants that wouldn't put us too far out of the way from Skyline Dr. Its 3 guys travelling so we don't need the Ritz but I don't plan on sleeping in a hooker room either.

Thanks..

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Which end are you starting on? I started in Front Royal and there is a good selection of motels there. I just winged it when I went and picked out a Mom & Pops motel which was clean and reasonably priced. The Skyline Drive and the BRP are great rides, take your time and enjoy!!:wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, we are starting in Front Royal also. I have a cabin already reserved in Gatlinsburg TN for the night of the 20th so its not a bad ride from Front Royal to Gatlinsburg. its about 420 miles, nice easy day. 2 of us have ridden Skyline Drive a few years ago but one of my buddies hasn't been there yet. He is also picking up his new Indian this Friday so we have a whole bunch of firsts on this trip. He's gonna run the Dragon with just over 1000 miles on his bike, it should be a blast though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have ridden the BRP several times but never Skyline. I will be riding them both in a couple of weeks. Will be riding solo up through the north Georgia mountains next Monday and Tuesday and meeting a couple of friends in Cherokee at the southern end of the BRP on Wednesday. From there it is up the BRP to Skyline and then on into PA.

Just an FYI, the BRP is close to 470 miles and is really a pretty good pull for one day. There are tremendous views and I end up stopping several times for pics. With a 1 hour lunch stop it is more like a 13 - 14 hour ride for me. We are going to break it up and stop at Staunton, VA the first night this time. We will then finish up the BRP and ride Skyline on Thursday.

It can be ridden in one day, but is easiest when very little traffic and without too many stops for pics. Starting mid September when the leaves are starting to change, there is a ton of traffic and you can add 3 or 4 hours to the trip (5 minutes at a time) behind people running 30 - 35 mph.

Ride safe and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Front Royal is right at the beginning of the Skyline Drive. We went in September. No traffic. The occasional bike and a few sports cars. That's it. We made no time at all. I'm getting old but I live in the twisties, and the BRP and Skyline Drive wore on me. Lotsa curves and wildlife. Gotta be on your game and don't try to make time. It ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
It took me 2 days to do the Skyline Drive and the BRP but I took my time and stopped at just about every scenic turn out to take pics and enjoy the view.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I've done it before, all and in pieces and would recommend you do the Blue Ridge Parkway as well on the way down if you have the time. I don't need to stop at each turn out but I like to spread it out over 2 days. You don't really need to stop much till you get south of the Blowing Rock/Boone N.C. area but if you've never rode it you will or want to. Going north to south which IMO is the best way to do it, it just gets better and better! It'd be a longer day then slabbing it but even if you have to squeeze it in, and ride from dawn to dusk, you'll be glad you did and you will go back!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are leaving from NH and running down to Front royal on the first day. the next morning early, we will hop on skyline drive and likely try to catch a sunrise up there. we will have about 420 miles to get to Gatlinsburg for that night so I haven't planned that route yet but I do think it will give us some time on the BRP. Im hoping to get to the cabin in TN by dark which should be doable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts