Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a street glide with a 96CI and he said that he put slip-ons on with no tuning at all. He has no blueing of the mufflers, and even took some of the baffleing out. I have a 2011 Road Glide and was told at the dealership that if I just put slip ons on with out tuning the engine, that my mufflers would blue in no time. Anybody know the ins and outs of this.
Thanks,
Wade S.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
IMHO: headers, tuner, free flow air, slip on & dyno. My XSoftail 96B stock headers blue. I did a partial stage one. All mentioned above except the header. A big mistake due to the restriction and heat. My RGU was completely staged and well worth it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A friend of mine has a street glide with a 96CI and he said that he put slip-ons on with no tuning at all. He has no blueing of the mufflers, and even took some of the baffleing out. I have a 2011 Road Glide and was told at the dealership that if I just put slip ons on with out tuning the engine, that my mufflers would blue in no time. Anybody know the ins and outs of this.
Thanks,
Wade S.
If your buddy didn't change the intake I'm not surprised. Changing mufflers only doesn't change much, other than sound. Adding mufflers doesn't change the AFR. Once you allow more air in, though, the mix can become leaner...which means hotter...which can cause bluing. One of mine is bluer than the other.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Beware of what the dealer tells you. It will usually cost you money.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have a 2011 RGU and dealer told me that pipes only they would blue also. I did it anyway and no color change after a couple thousand miles. I will be doing the rest this winter. Can any one tell me if I need a tuner or just do a stage 1 download to the computer.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
I have a 2011 RGU and dealer told me that pipes only they would blue also. I did it anyway and no color change after a couple thousand miles. I will be doing the rest this winter. Can any one tell me if I need a tuner or just do a stage 1 download to the computer.
Doing just the HD Download and you will still be running lean. A tuner is the way to go to reap the real benefit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If your buddy didn't change the intake I'm not surprised. Changing mufflers only doesn't change much, other than sound. Adding mufflers doesn't change the AFR. Once you allow more air in, though, the mix can become leaner...which means hotter...which can cause bluing. One of mine is bluer than the other.
So if I understood your answer correctly, just putting my V & H slip ons with no other changes I should be alright? I am just wanting a little tone, not more performance.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So if I understood your answer correctly, just putting my V & H slip ons with no other changes I should be alright? I am just wanting a little tone, not more performance.
Late model Harleys have what is known as an ECM, or Electronic Control Module under the seat, on top of the battery on touring bikes. This is in effect "The Brain" that pretty much runs everything. It will adjust to small changes in nearly everything and compensate so you normally have no problems. This is by design. For that reason you should have no problems running different slip on mufflers. We are not talking straight pipes here. For example: should you run a lower or higher octane of fuel the ECM will automatically adjust the timing slightly to compensate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Late model Harleys have what is known as an ECM, or Electronic Control Module under the seat, on top of the battery on touring bikes. This is in effect "The Brain" that pretty much runs everything. It will adjust to small changes in nearly everything and compensate so you normally have no problems. This is by design. For that reason you should have no problems running different slip on mufflers. We are not talking straight pipes here. For example: should you run a lower or higher octane of fuel the ECM will automatically adjust the timing slightly to compensate.
Thanks. i should be fine then.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I gotta admit, I did the slip-ons for sound first, but the addition of the SERT and a 2into1 really woke up some horsies. Noticeably so!

I suggest you start with the slip-ons then add the tuner of your choice when the budget and or time permits...you will be happier in the long run:)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts