Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 RGU with 20,000 miles---- nearly half of those long highway miles with the rest mixed.
I believe my clutch is slipping. I believe I feel it mostly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. Seems like it's early to have this issue.
Have any of you had an experience like this? Any info or insight you can provide will be appreciated.
Maybe I just got lucky.

Thanks for the help with this
Craig

·
Registered
875 Posts
had same issue, same year 2011. Mileage closer to 10K. After I adjusted clutch, no more slipping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a prob with my clutch lunging from day one, had dealer look at it and said was caused from yaffe bars I installed, told them was from day one that I never had a bike with a transmission and didn't know the difference until cousin rode it. long story short they called yaffe and confirmed wasn't the bars pulling my cable and warranty replaced my cable and clutch. dealer said they can do this once without a lot of grief from warranty people so give it a try and good luck. sorry for long write up, hope it helps

·
Registered
250 Posts
2011 RGU. 23,000 miles. Clutch replaced.

Went with the Screamin Eagle which was recommended with my 107" setup. I like it much better. Stiff. But I like it a lot more than the stock even before slippage started.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Stock motor? What are you running in the primary? The only bike I ever had clutch issues with is my Dyna with a 95 kit and heads. It would slip in 4th and 5th. Used Drag ASpecialties primary oil and added a s/e clutch spring, problem gone. My RG has the Scorpion billet clutch set up in it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for the info.
204 cam, breather & D&D Fatcat, TTS mastertune----stock otherwise. Using Amsoil 20w50 in the primary same as I did in the Softail. I think I'll try adjusting this weekend and see what happens.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a similar issue. My clutch was slipping. I took it in for a 25k service. They found that the clutch pak was coming apart. Thankfully I have the extended warranty and it is all covered. They are putting in the SE clutch pak and the SE spring without me asking. I would say this might be a known issue or at least becoming a trend for them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
2011 RGU with 20,000 miles---- nearly half of those long highway miles with the rest mixed.
I believe my clutch is slipping. I believe I feel it mostly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. Seems like it's early to have this issue.
Have any of you had an experience like this? Any info or insight you can provide will be appreciated.
Maybe I just got lucky.

Thanks for the help with this
Craig
This is what worked for me. Same issues, turned out to be the "trap door bearing" Took it to the dealer and when I asked him about it he already knew what I was talking about. Apparently it's and issue with some 2011, and 2012's..Link to the thread below. Some said it's hocus pocus, but it worked for me and is still working fine. No issues and that was 6k ago...Good Luck, BTW if it's under warranty HD will foot the bill...

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=32348

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
This is what worked for me. Same issues, turned out to be the "trap door bearing" Took it to the dealer and when I asked him about it he already knew what I was talking about. Apparently it's and issue with some 2011, and 2012's..Link to the thread below. Some said it's hocus pocus, but it worked for me and is still working fine. No issues and that was 6k ago...Good Luck, BTW if it's under warranty HD will foot the bill...

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=32348
You ever round up the parts list to figure out what exactly they replaced? Was it just the trapdoor bearings or was it the throwout bearing. Just curious.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for the info.
204 cam, breather & D&D Fatcat, TTS mastertune----stock otherwise. Using Amsoil 20w50 in the primary same as I did in the Softail. I think I'll try adjusting this weekend and see what happens.
Hmmm, Have you been running the Amsoil for a while? I clicked on this thread because my buddy has an 11 UC and he mentioned he thinks his clutch is slipping. It started right after he switched to Amsoil. I suspect it just needs an adjustment and I never heard of anyone having issues with Amsoil but I figured I would ask the question anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amsoil

Hmmm, Have you been running the Amsoil for a while? I clicked on this thread because my buddy has an 11 UC and he mentioned he thinks his clutch is slipping. It started right after he switched to Amsoil. I suspect it just needs an adjustment and I never heard of anyone having issues with Amsoil but I figured I would ask the question anyway.
I've used Amsoil in it since the first oil change at 1,000 miles. I don't think this slipping came on all of a sudden, but gradually----can't really be sure. I adjusted the clutch this past weekend which seems to have helped some, but still slipping in 4th & 5th at least. I'm due to change fluids, so I'm going to make sure I only put 32 oz in the primary. Last time I believe I added more because I was having a problem seeing the level.
I used the Amsoil in my 2000 Softail for years (all three holes) with no issue, so I'd be surprised if the Amsoil is at the root of the problem.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've used Amsoil in it since the first oil change at 1,000 miles. I don't think this slipping came on all of a sudden, but gradually----can't really be sure. I adjusted the clutch this past weekend which seems to have helped some, but still slipping in 4th & 5th at least. I'm due to change fluids, so I'm going to make sure I only put 32 oz in the primary. Last time I believe I added more because I was having a problem seeing the level.
I used the Amsoil in my 2000 Softail for years (all three holes) with no issue, so I'd be surprised if the Amsoil is at the root of the problem.
As an Amsoil Dealer I can "almost guarantee" it's not Amsoil. I've used Amsoil 20w-50 in the primary sence the first 2500mi. The one time the clutch "seemed to be slipping" all it needed was an adjustment. I adjust the clutch about every 5k.

I have a big ride coming up this fall. After that I plan to install Harleys "SE" compensator, clutch pack and spring. Amsoil's 20w-50 will go right back into the primary. My bike, a 2010 FLTRX, now has approx. 37k, when I make these changes the bike wike will have approx. 43k.

Nevadasun

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use ATF type "F" per the Primo-Rivera-Pro clutch instructions...yes, I'm a newbie, so maybe this isn't helping the original poster...but I've never been a fan of running 20-50 synthetic oil (not slamming Brands...I don't like any of them) in my primary.

IMHO, there's better oil available for an HD clutch...which "might" help the original question/post.

;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
My issue ended up being the compensator and the belt tensioner. Very thankful for the extended warranty! They found a few other things and fix them too! My first trip to Oakland Harley Davidson was a good experience.

·
Registered
875 Posts
had same issue, same year 2011. Mileage closer to 10K. After I adjusted clutch, no more slipping.
I should have also said I adjusted the slack out of the clutch cable and still experienced the issue. After adjusting the actual clutch rod I haven't had an issue for 2K miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should have also said I adjusted the slack out of the clutch cable and still experienced the issue. After adjusting the actual clutch rod I haven't had an issue for 2K miles.
I have adjusted mine (clutch and clutch cable) two times in the last week with some improvement, but still slipping. Changed fluids today and went with HD Formula + in the primary instead of the Amsoil 20/50 (no adjustment today). I'll post the outcome of the different fluid---I did take it out for a short run after the fluid change and the slipping seemed to be gone, but I want to make sure.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I use ATF type "F" per the Primo-Rivera-Pro clutch instructions...yes, I'm a newbie, so maybe this isn't helping the original poster...but I've never been a fan of running 20-50 synthetic oil (not slamming Brands...I don't like any of them) in my primary.

IMHO, there's better oil available for an HD clutch...which "might" help the original question/post.

;)
What do you think ATF is ? Its Just a synthetic for the tranny.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What do you think ATF is ? Its Just a synthetic for the tranny.
Taken off the Primo-Rivera website...

"We recommend non-synthetic Type 'F' automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for use with all our wet primary Pro Clutches. This ATF is designed to produce maximum torque transference via a higher friction coefficient in these type of applications."

Not to get into a pissing match, but I'm thinking you have your wires crossed on this one.

I'm big into Synthetic-Oils in 2 out of the 3 holes...just not in the Primary with the clutch I'm running. Thought I would make mention of the ATF-F option for the OP in case it might help cure his slipping clutch.

D-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was running fossil oil for all three holes after purchase of new 2012 FLTRX, after 6months started using HD SYN3 in all three....no issues with motor or trans but clutch started slipping almost immediately. Buddy experienced the exact same issues with his(same oil). Initially adjusted my clutch to spec but no difference. Removed my primary cover, disassembled & inspected clutch pack...no visible issues, flushed out primary and filled with Type F ATF upon recommendation from a friend in LE that rides in law enforcement bike rodeo competition....that fixed it. Upon further research found that the heavier SYN3 actually causes the plates in the clutch to 'stick' during separation when clutch is engauged. Since using the Type F I've had no further issues and adjust the cable as necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts