Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have owned the '18 RGU only since 18 July of this year. Currently just shy of 3000 miles. Had a list of improvements I wanted to make. Stage 1, windshield, seat, running lights, CD turn signals, saddle bag void lights to brighten up the rear. Shocks weren't even on the wish list. Came from the Beemer side and knew a Harley was going to offer a completely different ride and was fine with that. Then I started to read our forum and the name Smarty kept popping up when I was in the Suspensions sub-forum. Also, some guys were saying stuff like, "before you spend a nickel making it pretty, replace the rear shocks." I eventually sent Smarty a PM, talked to him on the phone, and gave him the order a few days later.

He lives less than 70 miles from me in North Texas. Today, I rode up and met him and his lovely wife and he installed a pair of Ohlins HD 772s on my Ultra. Before I placed the order with him, I asked him what he would charge me for installing them over and above the price of the shocks. I told him I could screw up an anvil and wanted it done right the first time. He said he'd install them for free if I rode up to his place. SOLD! During the install, he explained every step up to and including how to adjust in case of additional weight of passenger and/or gear. I was surprised how straightforward and simple the process is to get them dialed in with him doing the tutorial. He sent me on a test run and I came back with a big grin on my face. I'm not exaggerating when I say I had no idea the Ultra would ever ride and handle like it does now. The few curves on the test run demonstrated a tracking and a stability that just flat wasn't there before. Guys that know suspensions may know why this is, but in those curves going out and coming back to his place, it seemed like the front suspension was improved by the addition of the rear shocks. Less wallowing and more sure tracking that gave me a much higher degree of confidence the bike was going to stay where I was pointing it. It's a new freakin' motorcycle.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just wanted to give a shout-out to Smarty for his great service and let you guys know that if you haven't already, consider the shock upgrade. I guarantee you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Good to have a guy that will help you out like that. I talked to @Smarty on the phone quite a while ago about some stereo and exhaust stuff while he was waiting for a pizza to arrive at his house on a Friday night. He provided me some good info to work with. If I ever get the Ohlins bug he will without a doubt be my go to. Enjoy the new suspension!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Have owned the '18 RGU only since 18 July of this year. Currently just shy of 3000 miles. Had a list of improvements I wanted to make. Stage 1, windshield, seat, running lights, CD turn signals, saddle bag void lights to brighten up the rear. Shocks weren't even on the wish list. Came from the Beemer side and knew a Harley was going to offer a completely different ride and was fine with that. Then I started to read our forum and the name Smarty kept popping up when I was in the Suspensions sub-forum. Also, some guys were saying stuff like, "before you spend a nickel making it pretty, replace the rear shocks." I eventually sent Smarty a PM, talked to him on the phone, and gave him the order a few days later.

He lives less than 70 miles from me in North Texas. Today, I rode up and met him and his lovely wife and he installed a pair of Ohlins HD 772s on my Ultra. Before I placed the order with him, I asked him what he would charge me for installing them over and above the price of the shocks. I told him I could screw up an anvil and wanted it done right the first time. He said he'd install them for free if I rode up to his place. SOLD! During the install, he explained every step up to and including how to adjust in case of additional weight of passenger and/or gear. I was surprised how straightforward and simple the process is to get them dialed in with him doing the tutorial. He sent me on a test run and I came back with a big grin on my face. I'm not exaggerating when I say I had no idea the Ultra would ever ride and handle like it does now. The few curves on the test run demonstrated a tracking and a stability that just flat wasn't there before. Guys that know suspensions may know why this is, but in those curves going out and coming back to his place, it seemed like the front suspension was improved by the addition of the rear shocks. Less wallowing and more sure tracking that gave me a much higher degree of confidence the bike was going to stay where I was pointing it. It's a new freakin' motorcycle.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just wanted to give a shout-out to Smarty for his great service and let you guys know that if you haven't already, consider the shock upgrade. I guarantee you'll be glad you did.
Just wait till he does your front!!! I only wish he was up here...

Ride Safe!!!

Reactions: Smarty

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I think I know the road he sent you down to test......never ridden it but he has told me all about it and I can bet that grin was added to by said road

You're a good Dude Mr Burks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I PM'd Smarty yesterday - he called me today....shocks on order.... :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smart move, Jim. Find a nasty stretch of road around your area and ride it the day you're planning to put your shocks on, then ride it again afterwards. You're going to love 'em. Happy for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So everyone agrees that stock shocks suck and that any of the three aftermarkets will make a difference. What made you choose the ones you did. Not sure which ones to go with. Each brand also has different shocks. Im heavier at 240 and 50% of the time my wife rides with me. Im getting ready to take a couple long road trips and would like to get this done before i go. Can anyone illuminate some reasons to pick one over another? Right now from reading the forums i was thinking of going with supershox but many seem to really think highly of the ohlins. I have the 2017 RGS. Bought it with 24000 on it and have put 5000 on it in four months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
So everyone agrees that stock shocks suck and that any of the three aftermarkets will make a difference. What made you choose the ones you did. Not sure which ones to go with. Each brand also has different shocks. Im heavier at 240 and 50% of the time my wife rides with me. Im getting ready to take a couple long road trips and would like to get this done before i go. Can anyone illuminate some reasons to pick one over another? Right now from reading the forums i was thinking of going with supershox but many seem to really think highly of the ohlins. I have the 2017 RGS. Bought it with 24000 on it and have put 5000 on it in four months.

If you are not sure which shocks to get, I suggest you call Smarty and talk with him.

Then, call the reps for the other shocks you are interested in and find out how they will support you before, during, and after the install. Then make your decision.

Whatever you choose will be an improvement over OEM.

I have only owned a couple of bikes that didn't need suspension improvement in either the front, rear, or both. It really depends on where you ride, how much you ride, and how hard you ride. Quality suspension not only improves comfort on the bike, it improves safety because it keep your tires in contact with the road.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Dave, can't answer any better than TwoWheel did above. As to how did I make my choice, I didn't know shocks from shinola. After spending some time on this forum, you begin to identify the guys who know what they're talking about. The guys that gained some credibility with me kept mentioning Smarty, so I got hooked up with him. My shock choice was based entirely on his recommendation. I instinctively trusted @Smarty based on two things: My conversations with him, and his rep on this forum. As Twowheel very prudently suggested, talk to Smarty, then if you feel compelled, talk to the other guys. Let you gut tell you where you belong.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would like to know which shock is easiest to change settings from solo rider to two up. I go from one rider to two often and spinning that stock preload knob from 2 to 20 is not convenient but it is what it is. In a perfect world there would be an easier way.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Setting preload for your passenger is easy. On the Ohlins, it’s one turn per side for every 25 lbs of added weight. 150 lb passenger, 6 full turns on the preload on each side. It should ride 2 up exactly like it feels 1 up with the right setting. Hope this helps.

Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

·
Registered
519 Posts
My bike is a '17 RGS, that came with the 12" Showa shocks, that suck.

Smarty talked me into the 13" Ohlins 159HDs which have adjustments for length, rebound dampening, and preload. He also makes sure you get the shocks with the correct springs for the weight you will be carrying, very important. Preload and rebound dampening are easy to change, but you need to remove the bags to do so. With the ride height set at the minimum, I cannot tell any difference in seat height sitting on the bike.

He gave me instructions on how to set up the shocks while sitting on a beach in Mexico on a Sunday morning. How 's that for customer service?!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I would like to know which shock is easiest to change settings from solo rider to two up. I go from one rider to two often and spinning that stock preload knob from 2 to 20 is not convenient but it is what it is. In a perfect world there would be an easier way.
If that is all you are looking for, then the air shocks that came on the '16 RGU are definitely easy. Just open the saddlebag lid, grab your little air pump and add the appropriate amount of air.

Some shock makers have remote preload adjusters but finding a convenient place for them on the Road Glide that doesn't look like crap is pretty hard.

Otherwise, when you are doing your pre-ride check of the bike it is easier to check the rear tire pressure with the saddlebag removed so you can adjust the Ohlins at that time. If you are on a trip with your wife and you are running solo to the store or something then riding with the preload set for two up is still going to feel better than the stock shocks. You will just have a slightly higher seat height and turn in will be a little quicker and a pothole will feel different.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Twowheel said it all in his few posts. If you are looking for ease of adjustment stay with the stock. HOWEVER, like others have said here, if you want a GREAT ride all the time you need to talk to Smarty. He will listen to you, ask a few questions and then tell you what he would recommend as well as why that and nothing else. Then once you buy them he walks you through the installation and set-up on the phone.
Personal experience here, you will never find someone willing to do what Smarty does to help you out. NEVER. Take advantage of it, save your back, your OL and your bike from more torture and get a nice sweet, smooth ride put on it. You will never regret it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I spoke with smarty and there will definitely be a new set of shocks on the road glide in the near future. He called me and we spoke at length and all I can say is what a great guy. Thank you all who responded and pointed me in his direction.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts