Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm running V&H slip ons with a fuel pack and I notice the same thing. I don't know if it's typical, I'm new to the RG......mine is a 2007.

O

·
0 Posts
Yeah, my 2010 has a gas smell that lingers in the garage for quite a while. No clue why.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is it all the time or on a full tank? I had gotten in the habit of fueling up before returning home from a ride. I would park the bike and it would start do the same thing. A friend told me that when you park the bike it warms up the tank and the gas expands and will push some out the vent tube. After that I always tried to bring it home with less than full.

C

·
0 Posts
same problem with my 09 its raw fuel i smell not just exhaust even with the tank half full.
im going to ask the dealer next week when the replace my defective tire

JR

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hot engine under tank....gas fumes from tank vent. It's happened with every bike I've owned.

O

·
0 Posts
Yeah that does make sense, longrides. I'd add though that I've had over a dozen H-D's since 1976, and this is the first one I recall that smelled of gas after a ride....that didn't actually have a leak somewhere. Got a feeling you may be right, though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I smell fuel vapor not all the time yesterday I had the smell
and only 1/4 tank fuel left Wonder if ac and exhaust will help
I have to place a fan by the bike to blow the smell out of the garage
If the ac and exhaust will help the boss may get off some $$$
Can I reroute the vent tube?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your tank has the fuel pump in it and it recirculates the fuel. So it will bleed the presure off the pump when you stop. Every time you start the bike you hear the fuel pump building pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fuel vapors will trap in any confined space. 98deg to day and i covered the bike to keep the sun off the bike , but with the bike in the hot sun and the heat the vapors still pool in the cofined ares weather it is in a garage or under a cover. Man i love my SC red 10 road glide and would not give it up for anthying else but my 08 street gide did the same thing. I just know it smells. What do we do?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just replaced my exhaust with the V&H 2 into 1. I notice this smell after I did this. First thing I thought was that I didn't get a good seal on the exhaust. I let the bike cool, readjusted the pipe, checked the torque on the clamp and everything. Started it up, still had a smell. I took it around the block a couple times, then parked it. The smell went away. Road a couple times since, and sometimes it's there sometimes it isn't. I did notice that even with the stock pipe if I didn't ride for a few days I would get this smell when I first start the bike. I'm almost due for my next service, think I'll have them check it then.

·
Registered
213 Posts
well atleast you guys dont smell like exhaust. I love how my exhaust looks, and sounds, but a vortex forms behind you and my exhaust gases get caught in the vortex and goes in my shirt. When I am riding and hammer down on the throttle, i can feel the hot fumes on my back...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2010 stock pipe and ac
When I ride and get home pull into garage
real strong smell of gas vapor I see no leaks
Is the bike running that rich from the factory?
I have a 2011, completely stock and I have the same problem. doesnt seem to matter if full tank or not. My 08 Road king didnt do that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts