Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
update: aug 17th, 2012

might end up being small but mighty, still really looking forward to it, this area is great

I'm booked and staying at:
Aug 24-25th, 2012
the Dragon Pitt Inn and BBQ
4407 Calderwood Hwy. Maryville TN 37801
Phone: 865-253-3566

waterfall photo op ride 25th, riding early day, hanging out 2-3p on, lodge owner music friendly has instruments to lend, great site, it's where the corvette guys have their rally, may include a wheels in time visit, dragon

I'll send out some pm's to collect phone numbers next week.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I usually hit the Smokeys in October. I'm pretty well tied up for the rest of August, between my daughter being home from Europe for three weeks and some other time commitments I already have.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'll be up that way over Labor Day weekend. Checking in to an Ironhorse Lodge camp site on Thursday the 30th.

Really looking forward to wearing rubber off of the sides of my tires!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll be up that way over Labor Day weekend. Checking in to an Ironhorse Lodge camp site on Thursday the 30th.

Really looking forward to wearing rubber off of the sides of my tires!
that's exactly what I am talking about, so basically I'm doing something good for the environment, sort of.

Where are you thinking? I'm in North GA - not too far away - might could make it for a day if you were close enough.
weekend of the 18th is Ironton Rally, those are always fun, camping, we usually meet an RV'r up there

so tenatively the 25th

The Dragon Pitt Inn my favorite so far

·
Registered
56 Posts
The wife and I are heading up to Franklin NC for the Smokey Mountain Rally that weekend, let me know if you will be near there. Eric, what part of North GA are you in?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smoky Mountain Rally in Franklin, checked the site, not much info there
that's the weekend of the 18th. It says it's their first year. Same weekend as Ironton, OH

I did happen to find a great map of 16 smoky mountain waterfalls here

Have been meaning to see Wheels Thru Time, Maggie Valley, NC

Iron Horse looks a little nicer than most places, they're almost booked solid, probably a good sign.

I'll do some more digging, and see how committed the family is, if I need a cabin, room or tent site.

Basically, I'm still thinking the 25th in NC, as the following weekend is the easyrider show in Chilocothe, a proud display of hedonism, if you've never been, go

·
Registered
56 Posts
The rally in franklin is close enough for me to go without having to take a long time off of work, it is the first year, i do know Charlie Daniels will be there on Friday, and Kelly Pickler on saturday night, hoping for a greatime! I do know week before last when i made my room reservations at the Hosting hotel, they said i got the last room, maybe there will be a great turn out, if not, there will be some good riding to do!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We will certainly try to get by the museum while we are there. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Heard that. HOG riders will be going through through VA, NC, TN on the parkway, so bike-friendly hotel rooms anywhere near the BRP may harder to find around the HOG dates. I can't say why I pay my HOG dues, as I have been to one meeting and a group ride years ago when I purchased my first hog. Some cool folks and all, but not quite my bag. I prefer a less sedate riding experience, shall we say.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
updated: staying at

Dragon Pitt Inn and BBQ

Aug 24-25th, 2012

the Dragon Pitt Inn and BBQ
4407 Calderwood Hwy. Maryville TN 37801
Phone: 865-253-3566

this might be the right place, the owner says he has several guitars, etc...

willing to lend, playing music not maditory, just an option

GPS coordinates 35.566666 -84.096778

rate is about $75/night with tax and everything, they have about 5 rooms left.

no huge plans, hopefully a sunrise ride before breakfast 25th, hit the skyway,
see a museum, stop at any photo op, try and get a picture of the bikes under a waterfall,
jam and bbq around 3-ish

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heard that. HOG riders will be going through through VA, NC, TN on the parkway, so bike-friendly hotel rooms anywhere near the BRP may harder to find around the HOG dates. I can't say why I pay my HOG dues, as I have been to one meeting and a group ride years ago when I purchased my first hog. Some cool folks and all, but not quite my bag. I prefer a less sedate riding experience, shall we say.
I'm hoping to crack the code and get some bikes under the waterfall for a good photo op.

Gainesville, GA
if you can make, that'd be great !

The wife and I are heading up to Franklin NC for the Smokey Mountain Rally that weekend, let me know if you will be near there. Eric, what part of North GA are you in?
probably not the same weekend, but I was thinking starting out early with the
riding and basically doing a large portion of the "loop"

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you play music, this may be a sick night, musically

the owner has 15 guitars, well, I play bass and drums in a pinch

lead blues rock guitar, main instrument, but I'm too old to be proud

the sides of my tires are getting warm no matter what the outcome

I may bring my tube screamer, just in case.

I'll bring steaks no matter what the deal, steaks are on me

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Sounds good. I grabbed one of the rooms for Friday and Saturday nights. I should hit the road Friday by 6pm, and it's four hours down to Maryville, so I should roll in by 11pm. I may talk one or both of my sons into riding down on their bikes. The youngest son plays guitar, but our primary family skill seems to be trumpet - maybe some mariachi? Haha. Looking forward to scrubbing the rubber off the sidewalls on Smoky Mountain roads.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts