Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
17 RGU is currently in the shop for an oil pump issue. A few weeks ago I get a low oil pressure light flicker once. Take the bike in and the pump is replaced. A week later the engine is dumping. Now they can't figure out why its dumping and have torn the engine completely down. The shop is saying they'll stick a cam in it while they are in it.

I'm trying to decide which cam. Currently have fuelmotos 2/1/2 and RCx slip ons. Thinking either the Andrew's 460 or Woods 22x

We ride 75% of the time two up and in the mountains of N GA. I like tq but will wring the bike out as well.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Sorry to here about your issues. Fuel moto recently did a great review of most of the new m8 cams. There is also a great review the other forum with great results.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
17 RGU is currently in the shop for an oil pump issue. A few weeks ago I get a low oil pressure light flicker once. Take the bike in and the pump is replaced. A week later the engine is dumping. Now they can't figure out why its dumping and have torn the engine completely down. The shop is saying they'll stick a cam in it while they are in it.

I'm trying to decide which cam. Currently have fuelmotos 2/1/2 and RCx slip ons. Thinking either the Andrew's 460 or Woods 22x

We ride 75% of the time two up and in the mountains of N GA. I like tq but will wring the bike out as well.

Any thoughts?
Big fan of Andrews cams, plenty of torque and getty up thru the power band....Plenty of other choices too, Woods, S&S, SE, Crane, etc...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Any thoughts?
the woods 22x spends same time above 110 ft.-lbs. as the andrews, but it's smoother power. don't know if they're both 6th gear pulls, though.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-33193-dyno-charts.html

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up going with the Andrew's 640, the dealership could get it the fastest (tomorrow) for a Friday morning assembly.

Now waiting on Fuelmoto to get the tune, did not realize they were 7 days out, not sure how that will affect the dealership as they will need to run the engine

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Best choice IMO to do a torque cam, i did and it makes a helluva difference. brings in the power where you need it, good luck and keep us posted.:smile:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Supposed to be a great low end tq cam, 1200 - 5000
Sounds amazing! I dont see any reason to spin a Harley motor more then 5k anyway. Just my opinion. I honestly dont look at the tach. Its pointless. If you listen the engine will tell you when to shift and when she's done...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Supposed to be a great low end tq cam, 1200 - 5000
I concur with Andrews cams....on my 95 build, my TW26 comes early on and pulls hard....BIGTIME torque throughout the low range, perfect for a bagger and any two up riding....Granted, a fine tuner, any head work, AFR set with no spikes, takes into account....You will not be disappointed, smiling all the way. Good luck.

Reactions: Road dawg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cam

You might check on the TTS100 cam. I ride two up 90% of the time and just did this cam on my 110CVO. Blew me away with low end torque. I had RC4.5', but ditched them for my CVO cans with Fullsac 2.0's.

FM Jackpot 2-1-2 pipe is the only other real mod (except lifters). TTS tuned at 120ft lbs of torque with over 100 lbs at 1500 RPM. Hold on baby!

BTW, this cam will reuse the stock pushrods, etc. so that will save you a bit as well.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Check out the tech forum in the dyno section. Lots of sheets there for the M8. I have looked at some, not all, most of the sheets are showing around the same gains. Not a whole lot of difference.

Reactions: duglauraflht

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've tried the bolt-in Redshift 468...not bad for a bolt in, little better at take-off and mid-range..flattens just after 3300rpm and hates 6th gear. Upgraded to the SE ported heads and then tried the S&S 475..gobs of mid-range power to 4200'ish rpm and flattens out...Changed over to the woods 777. I loved this cam. This is a high rev cam. It loved rpms. At take-off up to 2000rpm, its a little sluggish (thats just the tune) but after 2k, this thing screamed...I'm running the thundermax and playing with VE tables..I haven't dyno'd because I'm a constant tweaker....I like to tweak out the VE tables to get the max out of these cams. No reason to pay for a dyno session when I'm going to end of tweaking it a little more...When I find a cam I like, I'll have it dyno'd to lock it in.

But I didnt get much saddle time in the last cam cause it started to eat the cam plate...I guess harley loves releasing POS cranks cause my runout measured at the max spec of .0035..its actually out of spec...And this bike is just over 4k miles on her. Now the engine is getting split to drop in a plugged, balanced and true'd crank. Since she's split open, might be upgrading other parts while she's apart.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm more curious as to why a stock M8 was sumping.....
Because of a bad scavenging plate.....

I got the bike back, ended up going with an Andrews 460 as I could get it the quickest. I've only put about 50 miles on the bike but quite a noticeable difference.

They ended up replacing the pump and the pump cover which is a completely redesigned piece per the tech.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Because of a bad scavenging plate.....

I got the bike back, ended up going with an Andrews 460 as I could get it the quickest. I've only put about 50 miles on the bike but quite a noticeable difference.

They ended up replacing the pump and the pump cover which is a completely redesigned piece per the tech.
Curious on how recently it was redesigned. They're on either the 4th or 5th pump for the M8. People going stage III or higher on both the 107 and 2017 114 have been trashing engines ( some on their 3rd or 4th engine) fairly frequently due to sumping.

·
Registered
49 Posts
curious about this sumping issue, I keep getting a coolant smell but my oil level looks fine, how can you tell?

Is there only 1 SE cam for the M8 out there right now? I would like to keep the engine SE only on this Harley.

Curious on how recently it was redesigned. They're on either the 4th or 5th pump for the M8. People going stage III or higher on both the 107 and 2017 114 have been trashing engines ( some on their 3rd or 4th engine) fairly frequently due to sumping.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
curious about this sumping issue, I keep getting a coolant smell but my oil level looks fine, how can you tell?

Is there only 1 SE cam for the M8 out there right now? I would like to keep the engine SE only on this Harley.

Sluggish, loss of power especially when hot, a lot more heat than normal coming off the engine. If you feel this, pull over and check your oil. If it's very low, chances are your oil is in the crank case and your internals are trying to fight through it all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts