Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new to me, 2012 RG Ultra. It came with stock head unit, stock speakers and the hidden fairing antenna. The sound sucks. So I have been researching to see what you guys recommend and thought I was going to keep the stock head unit and add an amp, lower fairing speakers and new upper fairing speakers. Than I came across a post that said the antenna would be useless with an amplifier. Is this the case? If so, I may have to re think my move. Was thinking with amp and 4 6.5" speakers I could get by around $600. I don't want to be relying on just CD's if the FM won't work.
Maybe for now, I should think about a new head unit and just 2 new upper fairing speakers? Then save up to add an amp and lowers?
Looking for any input you guys may have. Recommendations for Head unit if you think that would be the wise start. Maybe one to get me by until I can do the amp and lowers, without breaking the bank. Not really interested in satellite radio, but could do blue tooth and USB.
I am unsure what to do, don't want to half a** anything but not looking to win any sound competitions. Would be willing to do parts at a time as funds allow but need something so the wife can hear it also cruising the countryside for now (not worried about anything in the tour pack, it will rarely be on)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a new to me, 2012 RG Ultra. It came with stock head unit, stock speakers and the hidden fairing antenna. The sound sucks. So I have been researching to see what you guys recommend and thought I was going to keep the stock head unit and add an amp, lower fairing speakers and new upper fairing speakers. Than I came across a post that said the antenna would be useless with an amplifier. Is this the case? If so, I may have to re think my move. Was thinking with amp and 4 6.5" speakers I could get by around $600. I don't want to be relying on just CD's if the FM won't work.

Maybe for now, I should think about a new head unit and just 2 new upper fairing speakers? Then save up to add an amp and lowers?

Looking for any input you guys may have. Recommendations for Head unit if you think that would be the wise start. Maybe one to get me by until I can do the amp and lowers, without breaking the bank. Not really interested in satellite radio, but could do blue tooth and USB.
Placement of the t portion of antenna can make or break the reception...especially with the addition of an amp.

The best direct replacement for the factory HK head unit is the Jensen HD1BT. Plug and play and all hand controls work... $500

Get a good pair of speakers (Iron 65s) or 2 pair and couple that with our SS4.100 amp and you will be rockin!

Here is a 13 Ultra I did for a customer with same setup... only 6 speakers, not 4... sounds incredible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don’t have an amp so can’t answer your question. But I do have the hidden antenna in the fairing. I live within 45 minutes of Seattle radio stations but can’t get reception, making me think the hidden antenna is junk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Placement of the t portion of antenna can make or break the reception...especially with the addition of an amp.

The best direct replacement for the factory HK head unit is the Jensen HD1BT. Plug and play and all hand controls work... $500

Get a good pair of speakers (Iron 65s) or 2 pair and couple that with our SS4.100 amp and you will be rockin!

Here is a 13 Ultra I did for a customer with same setup... only 6 speakers, not 4... sounds incredible.

https://youtu.be/atgJrmK5CAc

Spazz, I appreciate the direct replacement with the Jensen, but was not really thinking of $500 for head unit. Would there be other options with minimal extras needed to achieve the same thing for much less money? I prefer to put money to the speakers and amp, or is that a bad idea?

I don’t have an amp so can’t answer your question. But I do have the hidden antenna in the fairing. I live within 45 minutes of Seattle radio stations but can’t get reception, making me think the hidden antenna is junk.
I currently have the hidden antenna, and while it is not the greatest for reception, it does the job for us. I am just worried about the amp killing it totally, which is what I have read.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well... there are other options... but not a direct plug and play option. I really like this deck for performance and ease of install... everything hooks up and works thr first and every time. I have only done this deck for 98-13... so I cant give you an honest opinion on which other option would be best suited. Plus.. this deck is designed for motorcyles... waterPROOF.. not water resistant... there is a major difference.

Now... you can get a budget-minded 2 speaker system with an amp.. $630 for SS2.150amp and SR65s to start with.. sounds impressive. This is a retrofit I did for a customer on a 2015 Police edition. Granted... not the same deck, but the tune goes with the deck being used.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Spazz, I appreciate the direct replacement with the Jensen, but was not really thinking of $500 for head unit. Would there be other options with minimal extras needed to achieve the same thing for much less money? I prefer to put money to the speakers and amp, or is that a bad idea?

I currently have the hidden antenna, and while it is not the greatest for reception, it does the job for us. I am just worried about the amp killing it totally, which is what I have read.
No matter what HU you buy, your going to have close to 5 bills. If you don't go with plug & play ,your going to need handle bar control interface and HU install kit. If you go with a good one like Vtwin sells with rain shield you're going to be over 5 bills.
A lot of guys who want an invisible antenna ,just lay the stock whip horizontally under the seat. There are a few threads on that mod here.
Come up with a. Realistic budget and save and do it once. It will save you $$ and headache over the long run. Class D amps effect the radio signal the most but run the coolest. A/AB run hot but don't seem to affect the signal as bad.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I had a hidden antenna on my last bike...it sucked. This works just as good and is way cheaper.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CravenSpeed-Replacement-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycles-1998-2018/dp/B00PUY6FOQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4DB4GXTOUVU7&keywords=the+stubby+antenna+for+harley+davidson&qid=1562096146&s=gateway&sprefix=the+stubby%2Caps%2C296&sr=8-3[/ame]

If you want good FM reception put the whip back on the tour pak.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Ive had my Aquatic AV for over 3 yrs, no problems. There was some people posting around the same time I got mine that had problems with theirs. Like I said, I have had zero, and I have the cheaper one.
Been caught in Florida pop up thunderstorms that just dump tons of water in a short amount of time. no problems at all.

Plenty of amp and speaker voices out there from mild too wild. Research brother and you will see what is out there. You can get a dam good setup that doesn't break the bank

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have the hidden antenna and an Arc Audio amp. FM isn't too bad, but I barely get much on AM. Sat radio seems unaffected. Neither is Ipod, thankfully.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I had the hidden antenna in my '15 RGS before I ever had an amp and it worked pretty well for me. Once I put my Biketronics 4180.14 in, the reception went to crap. It only seems to have gotten worse with time (which I can't figure out), so I try not to use anything but music on my phone.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There are several threads here that feel the HD hidden antenna performs very poorly. I put my stock antenna under the rear fender and seat. And it's ok in a major city but won't put up much outside of town. I'd suggest that at your distance from town you are not going to get much and get a head that will take a usb flash drive. It will hold hundreds of songs till your close enough to a station you like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: wevsspot

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
There are several threads here that feel the HD hidden antenna performs very poorly. I put my stock antenna under the rear fender and seat. And it's ok in a major city but won't put up much outside of town. I'd suggest that at your distance from town you are not going to get much and get a head that will take a usb flash drive. It will hold hundreds of songs till your close enough to a station you like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Same here. I incorporated the same solution on both the 2015 and 2018. Best of all it's a cost free solution so if it doesn't work as expected you're not out any money. I get local stations when I'm in or near a town, but things go south pretty quick.

·
Registered
263 Posts

The hidden antenna is indeed, junk. I’ve tried 2 different ones. Garbage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I have not replied quicker, had to go out of town unexpectedly. I appreciate all the replies.
Spazz, do you think that Jensen deck and new fairing speakers would give me enough to get me by? or should I keep the original deck for now and do an amp and new speakers? I ask this because I would like to spend the least amount right now and save to do the amp and speakers later (like this fall/winter). I know I will want to replace the factory deck, but if the deck alone won't power new speakers enough to be better, I would do an amp and 2 speakers for now to get me through this season and save for the deck and lower speakers.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sorry I have not replied quicker, had to go out of town unexpectedly. I appreciate all the replies.

Spazz, do you think that Jensen deck and new fairing speakers would give me enough to get me by? or should I keep the original deck for now and do an amp and new speakers? I ask this because I would like to spend the least amount right now and save to do the amp and speakers later (like this fall/winter). I know I will want to replace the factory deck, but if the deck alone won't power new speakers enough to be better, I would do an amp and 2 speakers for now to get me through this season and save for the deck and lower speakers.
You are better off doing a 2 channel amp and speakers from the start.. the HK deck is not too bad to be honest... it lacks a few bells and whistles, but does a good job when backed by a tuned amp and good speakers.

The deck can be added in later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are better off doing a 2 channel amp and speakers from the start.. the HK deck is not too bad to be honest... it lacks a few bells and whistles, but does a good job when backed by a tuned amp and good speakers.

The deck can be added in later.

Would it make sense to get a good 4 channel amp now and save for deck and lower speakers? or is it not a good idea/won't work to have a 4 channel amp and only use 2 speakers? Or maybe (2) 2 channel amps will end up costing about the same as (1) 4 channel amp and I could save a little cash right now?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Research brother. Lots of info out there on some killer systems that don't break the bank. Have to find the sound you like then go from there.
You can get really good sound from a 4 speaker/1 amp setup. How to wire it and tune it is the key. You don't have to pay stupid money for it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Research brother. Lots of info out there on some killer systems that don't break the bank. Have to find the sound you like then go from there.
You can get really good sound from a 4 speaker/1 amp setup. How to wire it and tune it is the key. You don't have to pay stupid money for it
This leads me to more questions. I have searched and not really found the answers. Maybe you could point me in the right direction for my search or answers these.
I have read numerous places that tuning the amp is key. How is this accomplished? Is it something I can do? Does tuning require certain capabilities of the amp itself? Is this required if I am only running 2 speakers at first?
I am really ready to get an amp and 2 speakers right now, and save for more pieces of the puzzle to install this winter.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This is a "Basic"way to set amp gains
1. Turn amp gains all the way down
2. Set volume to 3/4. Set bass treble to flat
3. Turn amp up until you hear the very slightest distortion. Turn the amp gain down just a touch

Very basic but it works

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also, MOST amps will have crossovers that will need to be set once you get your gain set. This setting will be determined by the speakers that you chose but typically for 6.5 coax speakers in a bike fairing you will be targeting around 120 on the high pass filter. Once you chose amp and speakers let us know and maybe we can narrow it down some more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts