Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
once the weather turns better, I will change out the pads front and rear . will be over 18 k. any one brand better then the other? who has the best price?
I saw some talk that lyndell gold or z plus are the way to go ? but also heard they had issues in the rain? opinions welcome.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Youre gonna get a lot of options but for price you can't beat the D2Moto brake pads. All 3 sets for under $40. They stop better and produce way less dust than stock. I have over 5k miles in them without any problems. No noise at all.

Reactions: mzierk

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Youre gonna get a lot of options but for price you can't beat the D2Moto brake pads. All 3 sets for under $40. They stop better and produce way less dust than stock. I have over 5k miles in them without any problems. No noise at all.
Actually, all three for about $21! http://www.d2moto.com/2010-2011-Harley-Road-Glide-Custom-Kevlar-Front-Rear-Brake-Pads_p_18777.html

Kevlar or sintered? They've been out of sintered for a long time, seems like they only sell kevlar now...

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I got Lyndell Gold on and have had No braking problems in dry or wet conditions. They stop on a dime. The only complaint I have with Lynden Gold pads are , they make noise. At first the fronts made noise when brakes applied (went away after a few K) then the rear started to make some noise when the brake was not applied. (Could be warped rotor ).

I Also have a set of D2Moto sitting on the work bench. Couldn't resist, 6 pads for $ 20 bucks.
EBC are also good pads.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
better is proportional, like to your style and reaction. The pad material against the surface of made of and with a finish of and caliber force..friction and all the other BS as wear....The stock (HD) ones don't glaze easy and most (HD mech's) say one size fits all and predictable. EBC fan here for years, the 03 Glide runs organic's on the front and Lyndal Au on back and approves of them

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
wow............been reading online . so many opinions from the makers. ceramic is the best except cold starts.quietest and less dust. then another says Kevlar is the best all around but doesn't last as long.. then another says sintered is the best for longevity but wears out the rotor faster and is noisier and more dust..
very confusing.
I never thought my stock breaks were noisy. a lot of dust,yes.
maybe I will just go buy the oem pads:confused:
think I will go over to the local bike guru and use what he recommends.he does complete work on Harleys, but his specialty is building up horse power on the motors.even has a dyno in the shop.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
do they last or after 5k they need changing? are they thinner then original pads?

is Kevlar better then sintar?
I had the Lyndell Gold (kevlar) on now for over 10 k . I'm going to try to wait another 5 k before putting on the D2moto. I'm not heavey on the brakes tho.
Like you said, the Kevlar dont last as long as Sintered but don't burn rotor as much either. I always thought the ceramic were noisy , at least on cars. I never used them on bikes.
Let us know what the guru recommends.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I have over 11k miles on Lyndall Z-Plus pads. I should get about another 10k out of them. Very little brake dust. I will buy them again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well stopped over the shop today. wil tells me to use the ebc sintered brakes.
as I run the stock rotor they are the best for that and wont wear out like the Kevlar and ceramic. he did tell me to put a dab of the brake grease obviously on the back of the pads and noise will never be an issue.
as for dust, I clean the bike daily so no big deal. he said if I had after market chrome rotors the softer pads would be the choice.
he then went over to his stock shelf and handed me the pads I need.
I didn't take them, his knowledge was what I went for and received.
I will get over 18k on the stock pads when I change them out and he said I did good on the mileage. I have read online where guys claim to get 20-30k on front pads. if they do, I would assume most of there riding is highway.
90%of my miles are around town and local rides.
I asked him about spending more money for the lyndell and he said, I gave you the advice you wanted, if want to spend more money for something that is not any better then ebc, have at it. he said lyndell are fine he feels there is no advantage to buying them over ebc though.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
well stopped over the shop today. wil tells me to use the ebc sintered brakes.
as I run the stock rotor they are the best for that and wont wear out like the Kevlar and ceramic. he did tell me to put a dab of the brake grease obviously on the back of the pads and noise will never be an issue.
as for dust, I clean the bike daily so no big deal. he said if I had after market chrome rotors the softer pads would be the choice.
he then went over to his stock shelf and handed me the pads I need.
I didn't take them, his knowledge was what I went for and received.
I will get over 18k on the stock pads when I change them out and he said I did good on the mileage. I have read online where guys claim to get 20-30k on front pads. if they do, I would assume most of there riding is highway.
90%of my miles are around town and local rides.
I asked him about spending more money for the lyndell and he said, I gave you the advice you wanted, if want to spend more money for something that is not any better then ebc, have at it. he said lyndell are fine he feels there is no advantage to buying them over ebc though.
Sounds like sound advice to me.Ebc are no doubt a good pad and you can't go wrong with using them. I do like the fact that the Kevlar pads produce less dust because I don't clean my bike like I use to. :D That's the only reason I switched .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think your man gave you good advice just as long as you do clean your bike often.
Traditional type Sintered Pads make black dust which is corrosive.(because the they are sintered with various metals and alloys).
Kevlar pads make white dust which is harder to see and is not corrosive.
Ceramic pads I've never tried but I never liked the feel of ceramic rotors on the race bike.

I'll be going Lyndall long before the OEM pads wear out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts