Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just like spark plugs, Never seen expensive leads add HP :rolleyes:
But, if I 'need' to replace a set going from 6mm to 8.3mm seems like a good idea :p dunno if the coils can power the 10mm sets that are about properly:confused:

·
Banned
94 Posts
good quality wires will never hurt,but don't look for any big "home run" with them

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Been down this road years ago before these message boards, or other "shops" were even around.
Dyno tested wires from several manufacturers back in the mid 1990's, on multiple occasions. Nology, Taylor, Accel.
What did we see?............nothing.
Scott

·
Vendor
819 Posts
Spark plug wires do not increase performance or Hp, there is no magic there. However the factory wires do degrade over time which can cause performance related issues due to spark transfer, knock retard, etc.. something we have seen for years on the dyno, day in day out. Having the right wires and spark plugs is also essential for the adaptive knock retard to work correctly. We were approached by Moroso several years ago to help develop a line of wires for HD models, we spent a season testing various products and applications specifically with the HD-Delphi ECM & ignition components. The FM RaceWires are a great choice if you are looking for a high quality wire to replace your factory wires. They are 100% compatible with HD adaptive knock retard, they carry a lifetime warranty, and we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Not alot of question there, if there is ever an issue we replace, or if you are simply not satisfied send them back for a refund.

·
Vendor
819 Posts
For those seeking information on how the Delphi Ion Sensing knock retard works the following Delphi document offers an in depth technical explanation. Harley models do not have at-plug (stick) coils except V-Rod, so the spark plug wire is a critical element for proper operation.

https://pdf.yt/d/QFQHPwacwSKfXTwx

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some Misunderstand, I Think.....

Spark plug wires do not increase performance or Hp, there is no magic there. However the factory wires do degrade over time which can cause performance related issues due to spark transfer, knock retard, etc.. something we have seen for years on the dyno, day in day out. Having the right wires and spark plugs is also essential for the adaptive knock retard to work correctly. We were approached by Moroso several years ago to help develop a line of wires for HD models, we spent a season testing various products and applications specifically with the HD-Delphi ECM & ignition components. The FM RaceWires are a great choice if you are looking for a high quality wire to replace your factory wires. They are 100% compatible with HD adaptive knock retard, they carry a lifetime warranty, and we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Not alot of question there, if there is ever an issue we replace, or if you are simply not satisfied send them back for a refund.
The wires were just ordered about 5min. ago. I never thought I would get "MORE HP". I was simply looking for better transfer of power for the spark. I use NGK Iridium plugs and, have been very with the results. So, why not add these new wires? The wires were only $39.95 (not an issue) and, if I dont like them I simply send them back and get a refund..........

·
Registered
106 Posts
I read the article and actually learned something. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but how would you know if you had incompatible wires. On my other bikes I have only had to deal with knocking if I was at altitude, hot, too high gear, and on an incline. (so I drop a gear or 2 and give it some RPM) Almost like the engine is not making enough power and usually when riding 2 up. And all my previous motors were at least 10:1 compression.

This is something new to me - Compatible and Non-Compatible plug wires, beside the usual solid copper or carbon wiring.

In the schematic, it just basically shows the charge going through the biased zener voltage regulation diodes and the discharge going through the load resistors for the ION sensing signal.

Are compatible wires impedance matched or mis-matched to create some sort of resistance load for ION sensing?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Trust me, there is no one re-writing the book on spark plug wires.
Even Bob Wood said he used OEM wires on his personal bikes, when he and I had discussed this at one time.
Sumax Taylor wires sell because they come in a variety of pastel colors. Period.
His gross sales/year on those is a number I won't post.
Plain-jane wires on our 108" AHDRA Mod bike that pushed out over 167 hp...8.88, 148 plus mph......18 years ago.
Sell 'em if you got 'em........:rolleyes:
Scott

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks Hillsidecycle. That does make more sense. I kind of figured most wires sell because fat colorful wires look Kool. This was the first time I had heard of this ION sensing angle... And I damn sure was not going to spend a grip of money on wires you fill with Snake Oil and go faster..... Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Nice option if you do need new wires.

On a brighter note... Who doesn't like pretty colorful wires on their bike ?

·
Vendor
819 Posts
I read the article and actually learned something. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but how would you know if you had incompatible wires. On my other bikes I have only had to deal with knocking if I was at altitude, hot, too high gear, and on an incline. (so I drop a gear or 2 and give it some RPM) Almost like the engine is not making enough power and usually when riding 2 up. And all my previous motors were at least 10:1 compression.

This is something new to me - Compatible and Non-Compatible plug wires, beside the usual solid copper or carbon wiring.

In the schematic, it just basically shows the charge going through the biased zener voltage regulation diodes and the discharge going through the load resistors for the ION sensing signal.

Are compatible wires impedance matched or mis-matched to create some sort of resistance load for ION sensing?? :confused:

A quick answer would be in most cases the first (and easiest to diagnose) characteristic related to knock retard on HD-Delphi ECM equipped bikes that presents itself is false knock events or incorrect knock control. If ignition components such as spark plugs & wires are either degraded, faulty or incorrect the most common sign is the system pulls timing inappropriately, this can happen as 1-2 small 2-3 degree events, or it can pull as much as 6-8 degrees for an extended time. We have seen bikes many times over on the dyno where the ECM randomly pulls timing even in steady state with little to no load, these are the kind things that are easy to look for at the basic level, all you need is a tuning product or hardware with the toolset that allows you to log or monitor it. When we do an engine build or dyno tune here the first thing we do before we start tuning is replace the spark plugs with new OEM style plugs, and make sure it has either stock wires or a wire we are comfortable with using. These items can/will affect the adaptive knock retard's ability to work properly. If you have not looked for it or or experienced it I would not expect most to know much about it, however I can guarantee most any dyno tuner that has extensive experience with the HD-Delpi ECM is well aware of how this works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So in short, make sure you have a good (non-degraded) set of plug wires and good plugs. I change my plugs every year (cheap insurance) at the beginning of each riding season when I do a pre-season go-over.

I live in Washington, so we do actually have a riding season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts