Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 11 RGU in 2010 and got all my performance equipment installed for free. One thing I didn't do at the time was different head gaskets cause I just didn't think about it. Duh! I have the 103" with Fullsac Headers, V & H Monster Rounds, Ventilator AC, Adj Pushrods, Andrews 54H Cams and an SE Pro Race Tuner, Smart Tuned. So I asked my long time dealer how many total hours to pull the tank, heads and install some Cometic .030 Head Gaskets. They said 2 to 2.5 hours and then figure Dyno Time of 2 hours.

So today I thought I'd also talk to my long time Indy of 12 years who has saved me a whole bunch of cash in the past and he said 5 hours or so and a $500.00 bill. What the hell and he takes all his bikes to be dyno tuned to the dealer that I use. Dyno time would be a separate charge.

At this point I think I just might have Travis the Master Tech at the dealer Dyno it for me. He is a fantastic tuner and the only one they allow at the dealership to tune bikes.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Did the dealer say it would only TAKE 2 or 2.5 hours or did they say they would only CHARGE 2 or 2.5 hours to perform the work and what would that charge be from the dealer? A good tech will be able do perform the work in less time than the shop will actually charge you for the job being done. Could it be a possible miscommunication on the dealers part?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What Triplej said. Book time vs actual. And a good mechanic will always try and beat book time so as to make a little extra cash.

2.5hrs doesn't seem unreasonable when no beer, yammerin friends etc are involved ;-)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't know that the gains from the Cometic gaskets would be significant enough to warrant going back in the motor for just that. It's your decision.

If the dealer did the mods at time of purchase then I would definatly go there. It's a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I don't know that the gains from the Cometic gaskets would be significant enough to warrant going back in the motor for just that. It's your decision.

If the dealer did the mods at time of purchase then I would definatly go there. It's a no brainer to me.
Great point.

Nickel are you happy with the way it runs? If so, why you wanna change the HG. Was it already tuned? If not, do that for sure and buy a bunch of beer with the cash you saved.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I bought my 11 RGU in 2010 and got all my performance equipment installed for free. One thing I didn't do at the time was different head gaskets cause I just didn't think about it. Duh! I have the 103" with Fullsac Headers, V & H Monster Rounds, Ventilator AC, Adj Pushrods, Andrews 54H Cams and an SE Pro Race Tuner, Smart Tuned. So I asked my long time dealer how many total hours to pull the tank, heads and install some Cometic .030 Head Gaskets. They said 2 to 2.5 hours and then figure Dyno Time of 2 hours.

So today I thought I'd also talk to my long time Indy of 12 years who has saved me a whole bunch of cash in the past and he said 5 hours or so and a $500.00 bill. What the hell and he takes all his bikes to be dyno tuned to the dealer that I use. Dyno time would be a separate charge.

At this point I think I just might have Travis the Master Tech at the dealer Dyno it for me. He is a fantastic tuner and the only one they allow at the dealership to tune bikes.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

The 54 wants to be @ 10.15 cr in order to see low 190's psi ccp.
Scott

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
All excellent points, will the change in the HG really make a difference in performance? Unless I see a significant increase in it, it's not worth the money and the chance of something going wrong, IMO :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. By the way, this dealer has always charged by actual time and not by the book. That's one thing I like about them. I didn't think I'd gain that much myself by adding the gasket to bump the compression up a little. I just couldn't understand why my Indy quoted me that much money. The dealer would beat him by about $300.00. The bike was tuned originally using the Smart Tune Program. However both my Dyno guy and Indy said I'd probably be better off doing a good tune especially covering cruising speed for better gas mileage. My mileage is good now but I still think it is running too lean and some heat could be eliminated.

What issues might arise if any if I keep the 54H with stock compression? One Tech said I'd only gain 2 or 3 HP etc. Is it worth it for that? I say not.

I already have 2 high performance HD's with Stage III setups so I'm just looking to maintain good rideability.

·
Registered
301 Posts
May as well do some head work "while your down there."

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. By the way, this dealer has always charged by actual time and not by the book. That's one thing I like about them. I didn't think I'd gain that much myself by adding the gasket to bump the compression up a little. I just couldn't understand why my Indy quoted me that much money. The dealer would beat him by about $300.00. The bike was tuned originally using the Smart Tune Program. However both my Dyno guy and Indy said I'd probably be better off doing a good tune especially covering cruising speed for better gas mileage. My mileage is good now but I still think it is running too lean and some heat could be eliminated.

What issues might arise if any if I keep the 54H with stock compression? One Tech said I'd only gain 2 or 3 HP etc. Is it worth it for that? I say not.

I already have 2 high performance HD's with Stage III setups so I'm just looking to maintain good rideability.
Torque, and more torque is the key to moving that bike, and to talk the hp lingo..........well let's just chalk that up to something else.
You'd be waaaaaaaaay better served using the 48.
Scott

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm well aware that TQ is the key to getting the bike moving down the road. Both my Stage III bikes have more torque than ponies and one is a bagger. When I bought my RGU in 2010 no one knew much of anything about a 48H cam and plenty about the 54H. It's not like I can't get my bike out of the hole and going because short onramps in MT will find me close to 3 digits if needed. It's a subtle smooth climb in power compared to my RK. I stay in 5th gear until over 70 mph. There is just a little something missing at cruising speed when I twist the throttle. Yes, I downshift to 5th when I pass because there are plenty of Aholes in MT that don't like to get passed by a bike.

Thanks for your comments even though I didn't get my exact answer from anyone if there would be any problems/issues presented by keeping the motor compression stock with these cams.

I'm going to do what my dyno guy suggested and he will do a diagnostic dyno run to see what can be done to dial in my motor. Cost 1/2 hr labor of $42.50. Will continue with the dyno if major tweeking is needed.

Thanks again!! :D See you all at SWIII

·
Registered
148 Posts
Scott's right...I run a 54H in a softail 117 motor and my compression is right at 10.2

If you want to get more out of that cam, I'd bump the compression.

Just my .02

D-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts