Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run the Harley brand soft lowers on my bike. I leave them on all the time. Bought them last winter. Haven't taken them off since. I like how they help for a smoother ride so I want to leave them on. Cpl of the guys at the dealer told me not to run them if it's over 70 degrees out side. Is this true? I want to run them all the time. Is anyone running these all the time even over 90 degrees? I did some research and ran across the Desert Dog Soft Lowers. They advertise .... "allow engine cooling – NO temperature restriction!" Can I run these in the summer? How are these different from the HD soft lowers? Is anyone running these? I know I can by the vented hard lowers for my bike but just don't want to spend that coin right now. Thanks

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
If it were me, I would not run them in the summer. I don't know anything about the Desert Dogs. I'll check out their website. Good Luck.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. Those look worth the money. They say vented so does that mean I can run them in the summer when it's above 90 degrees? Do u have a set? Quality? I need the lowers and that kit u posted? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I don't have soft lowers but have hard lowers. I know around the end of May , they come off and me and the bike cool off.
The soft lowers dont look as aerodynamic as hard lowers , so that might affect the engine also in the hot weather.
I do miss the advantages that the lowers provide , but I can't take the extra heat down here in Ga. In the summer.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The paperwork that comes with the HD soft lowers says don't leave them on when the temperature gets above 55. Thinking they are being conservative I normally take mine off when it gets around 60 degrees.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Hmmm. Those look worth the money. They say vented so does that mean I can run them in the summer when it's above 90 degrees? Do u have a set? Quality? I need the lowers and that kit u posted? Thanks!!!

My wife has a set of those on her Road Glide. Very worth the money.

Yes you need to buy the hardware kit to put them on.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife has a set of those on her Road Glide. Very worth the money.

Yes you need to buy the hardware kit to put them on.
Thanks guys!! Ron, u think I can run these in the summer?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Thanks guys!! Ron, u think I can run these in the summer?

Picture of my bike with lowers..... Badlands, 104 degree day. I leave them on all the time. If I get warm, I put my feet on the highway pegs.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Picture of my bike with lowers..... Badlands, 104 degree day. I leave them on all the time. If I get warm, I put my feet on the highway pegs.

Are yours the vented ones PGR ? Mine are the older non vented. I like my knees in the breeze. :D

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a lot of coin .... actually only about 60 bucks more than Desert Dawgs when you buy these hard lowers and the hardware kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivid-Black-Lower-Vented-Leg-Fairings-For-Harley-Touring-Road-King-Electra-Glide-/380739580398?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Harley-Davidson&hash=item58a5d8f1ee&vxp=mtr
QUOTE]

Just my 2 cents about aftermarket lowers. There is a vendor on eBay about 1/2 hour away from where I live. I was able to buy them direct and saved on shipping.

Was told they would fit the Road Gilde. When I got home I found out the uppers caps needed to be cut to fit which by itself wasn't really a big deal. I also found that the right fairing wouldn't clear the Master Cylinder.

The girls at the vendor were great, took them back without hassle and no restocking fee.

I would suggest if you do go aftermarket get in writing that they'll fit. This way if you do have to return them you've got some backing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a lot of coin .... actually only about 60 bucks more than Desert Dawgs when you buy these hard lowers and the hardware kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivid-Black-Lower-Vented-Leg-Fairings-For-Harley-Touring-Road-King-Electra-Glide-/380739580398?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Harley-Davidson&hash=item58a5d8f1ee&vxp=mtr
QUOTE]

Just my 2 cents about aftermarket lowers. There is a vendor on eBay about 1/2 hour away from where I live. I was able to buy them direct and saved on shipping.

Was told they would fit the Road Gilde. When I got home I found out the uppers caps needed to be cut to fit which by itself wasn't really a big deal. I also found that the right fairing wouldn't clear the Master Cylinder.

The girls at the vendor were great, took them back without hassle and no restocking fee.

I would suggest if you do go aftermarket get in writing that they'll fit. This way if you do have to return them you've got some backing.
Ouch. Did u buy the same ones Ron mentioned above?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I call mine neighborhood pegs. That's how soon my feet are on them. Lol So the ones your wife got off eBay can run when it's summer heat and no worries of engine getting hot. Sorry for all the questions. Just wanna buy the right ones. Thanks

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Picture of my bike with lowers..... Badlands, 104 degree day. I leave them on all the time. that,, get warm, I put my feet on the highway pegs.

I call mine neighborhood pegs. That's how soon my feet are on them. Lol So the ones your wife got off eBay can run when it's summer heat and no worries of engine getting hot. Sorry for all the questions. Just wanna buy the right ones. Thanks
The ones my wife has look exactly like the Harley ones. They stay on all year. You do have to cut a little off the cap arms to make them clear the fairing mount. But that's easy.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have some soft lowers off eBay. They work great for rain and cold weather. The ones I have actually strap on and have cutouts for highway pegs. They in essence cover the entire engine guards. I don't leave them on all the time just because I like a cleaner look. But I would not be concerned with over heating since they angle towards the engine and push air to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wouldn't run any type of lowers in the summer becuase I prefer the airflow around my legs and engine. I road an Ultra Classic with lowers and even with the vents open I got a lot of heat off the bike on my legs. The good thing about Desert Dawgs is no temperature restrictions so you throw them on in a summer thunderstorm but I would take them off after the rain is over. I figure so far that I'll get wet no matter what so I run neither but when it gets cold I might invest in a pair.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts