Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored at work today and spent some time looking into replacing my factory chain tensioner and looked at Hayden, Baker and SOHoT.

After looking at all 3, I would say that I really like the way the SOHoT one is designed and how simple it seems to install. The price is not too shabby either.

Southern Oregon Hot Bikes HB125

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUa1f7BW9U

Any of you had experience with their product? There's not too much info on them within the forum, but the little I did find seemed to be pretty encouraging.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Bored at work today and spent some time looking into replacing my factory chain tensioner and looked at Hayden, Baker and SOHoT.

After looking at all 3, I would say that I really like the way the SOHoT one is designed and how simple it seems to install. The price is not too shabby either.

Southern Oregon Hot Bikes HB125

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUa1f7BW9U

Any of you had experience with their product? There's not too much info on them within the forum, but the little I did find seemed to be pretty encouraging.
Looks like a good tentioner. This is the first I've heard of them. I like the looseness of the chain at installation. I use the Hayden. It kept the chain a little tighter than theirs at stand still. I didn't run it dry without the primary cover on either like he did though.
I've had the Hayden now for about 3 yrs and 20k with out any problems. The prices are about the same , if I would have seen the Hot bikes one when I was looking at changing the tentioner, I probably would have bought theirs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a good tentioner. This is the first I've heard of them. I like the looseness of the chain at installation. I use the Hayden. It kept the chain a little tighter than theirs at stand still. I didn't run it dry without the primary cover on either like he did though.
I've had the Hayden now for about 3 yrs and 20k with out any problems. The prices are about the same , if I would have seen the Hot bikes one when I was looking at changing the tentioner, I probably would have bought theirs.
Thanks Gary.

I've found a lot of posts on the Hayden and it looks like a pretty even split between riders that like it and riders that were concerned about the amount of tension on the chain after installing it.

I just thought the design of the SOHoT looked really solid and pretty easy to install for even a novice wrencher.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Thanks Gary.

I've found a lot of posts on the Hayden and it looks like a pretty even split between riders that like it and riders that were concerned about the amount of tension on the chain after installing it.

I just thought the design of the SOHoT looked really solid and pretty easy to install for even a novice wrencher.
The hardest part about installing any tensioner, is the getting to it. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have seen my Buds have issues with ALL of the Aftermarket Primary Chain Adjusters including the SE.

The OE works best, with the least amount of issues.

There have been reports of "overtightening" with the OE, but the sky is not falling...

All it takes to avoid the "overadjusting" issue with the OE, have the Engine / Drivetrain up to operating temperature before any significant Engine Braking, something that should be done anyway.

"The SHORT BUS" has the OE Tensioner for over 52k miles, with no issues, no related issues, the Shoe still looked great at 50k...

I spend my $$ elsewhere...

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I have seen my Buds have issues with ALL of the Aftermarket Primary Chain Adjusters including the SE.

The OE works best, with the least amount of issues.

There have been reports of "overtightening" with the OE, but the sky is not falling...

All it takes to avoid the "overadjusting" issue with the OE, have the Engine / Drivetrain up to operating temperature before any significant Engine Braking, something that should be done anyway.

"The SHORT BUS" has the OE Tensioner for over 52k miles, with no issues, no related issues, the Shoe still looked great at 50k...

I spend my $$ elsewhere...
I agree... I believe the paranoia about the OE was generated from the aftermarket to generate sales as well as a few other parts. Marketing 101

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I agree... I believe the paranoia about the OE was generated from the aftermarket to generate sales as well as a few other parts. Marketing 101
Maybe, maybe not. I know , just too many compensators and main bearings were going out since the HD ratcheting tentioner was introduced.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I know , just too many compensators and main bearings were going out since the HD ratcheting tentioner was introduced.

There may be something to it I just don't believe it's to the degree that some lead you to believe. They find one example and before you know it is known a problem with ALL bikes. I just try not to drink too much of the Kool-Aid flavors that are presented most of the time.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Ever since HD introduced the 96 inch engine in 07 in the touring models (06 in the Dyna's) the compensators have had issues and the primary chain tensioner really isn't the problem and there hasn't been may problems with the clutch bearings either. I tried the Hayden and the primary chain seemed a little tight so I went back to the OEM tensioner, bottom line is over 100,000 miles on the OEM tensioner and no problems. I had to replace a couple of compensators but that just because they just wear out because of the design flaws and this spring I put in a new clutch hub bearing as preventive maintenance but the original clutch hub bearing didn't have anything wrong with it.
Stick with the stock tensioner there isn't a thing wrong with it. JMO

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have tried self adjusters and manual tensioner. The OEM is the way to go. Good oil ( extra oil - 38 oz) and a 'compensaver' from Steve @ GMR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts