Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
If you don't regularly travel, tell your credit card company you are going. They are on high alert these days and will freeze a card at the most inopportune time.

Leave an itinerary with a loved one, or have someone you can text regularly. I text my wife where I am and direction of travel. If I vanish, she has a starting point.

Take regular breaks and keep up the fluid intake.

Plan gas stops so your not getting 93 octane in the middle of nowhere and risk older contaminated fuel. I will put in 87 if I need fuel , but just enough to get to town where 93 gets used more.

Don't ride at dusk or dawn. Seeing all the roadkill will tell you why.

If you are going to use hotels, don't wait too late. I've run into full hotels because of some event that I never heard of.

Roadside emergency kit.

Know the motorcycle laws for the states you are traveling through.

Have fun.

I have never needed to pull my gun anywhere. Know which states you can't carry in.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you don't regularly travel, tell your credit card company you are going. They are on high alert these days and will freeze a card at the most inopportune time.

Leave an itinerary with a loved one, or have someone you can text regularly. I text my wife where I am and direction of travel. If I vanish, she has a starting point.

Take regular breaks and keep up the fluid intake.

Plan gas stops so your not getting 93 octane in the middle of nowhere and risk older contaminated fuel. I will put in 87 if I need fuel , but just enough to get to town where 93 gets used more.

Don't ride at dusk or dawn. Seeing all the roadkill will tell you why.

If you are going to use hotels, don't wait too late. I've run into full hotels because of some event that I never heard of.

Roadside emergency kit.

Know the motorcycle laws for the states you are traveling through.

Have fun.

I have never needed to pull my gun anywhere. Know which states you can't carry in.

Some good advice right here! Especially the gun part. Besides a wreck, ending up in the pokey in bum fu** Anytown, USA because you're carrying an illegal loaded gun that was legal 10 miles ago will ruin your trip quicker than anything!

Barney Fife doesn't give a damn what was legal in TX! Lol!

Have fun and be careful!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
all good so far..
And I imagine what and how to pack advice is all over the internet...
Yes. I create a checklist, and organize my gear in labelled dry bags I get from Walmart. They come in 3 packs of 3 sizes. One for roadside repair, one for rain gear, one for gloves and riding layers, etc. I travel an average of 25,000 miles a year so I like to be organized.

Some guys just travel with the clothes on their back, rain gear for wet and wind, and buy everything on the road. Wash at the hotel, and/or buy what you need at the Walmart.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I travel solo a lot and I actually prefer it over riding in a group because I can go where I want on my schedule.
I do motels because I am too old to sleep on the ground in a tent.
All good suggestions above but even though I have carried a firearm I don't feel that I have to carry it now.
Just pack the essentials and pack as light as you can, don't forget rain gear and a good full face helmet for those rain events. Carry warm cloths for those times where it is a little cooler than normal.
Carry a tire plug kit and a mini compressor and hope you never use it, I found a real small mini compressor with a plug kit at Walmart and it takes up very little space.
I also have a alarm pager for my bike which I use when I am in a motel it will alert me if anyone is messing with the bike.
A good multi tool, flashlight and tool kit is something I alway have and I also hope that I never need.

·
Registered
593 Posts
All great advice, middle of June, make sure you have a wetvest with a light jacket to wear over it. Do not wear it by itself, will dry up mighty fast. Get a lot of hydration. In those hot temps I always stopped about every 100 miles, a smoke and water. Always call ahead for a room if possible. Don't be in too much of a hurry. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Make sure your bike is sound from top to bottom. Whenever I plan on a big trip I make sure my tires are in great shape, not good but great. I don't want to be in the middle of no where needing new rubber. Ask me why I feel that way :)
Check all fluids, brake pads, lights, and any loose nuts, and screws...

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Thinking of traveling from here (Vegas) to Kansas City in late June solo.
Any input from solo riders?
How many days do you have to get there? I just google mapped it and you could ride some great roads in Utah and Colorado on the way there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have ridden thousands of miles in groups and solo. You know that pair of socks or underwear and maybe even a t-shirt you might get one more use out of and then throw away? I save those for my trips. Wear them for a day and throw them away. Makes room for things you may pick up on the way and its always harder to fit everything back in when packing anyway.

I always have a good basic tool assortment and do a full service before a trip just to be on the safe side. If you do plan on carrying a firearm there are a couple of good sites with information on carrying, carrying in a vehicle, and reciprocity. I always print and carry a copy of the peacable journey law and any reciprocity agreements with the states I will be traveling in. Many in law enforcement don't know about reciprocity!

If you don't have full coverage put it on for the trip. At least have high un and uninsured coverage.

Have fun and be safe. Sometimes its worth it to post where you will be traveling on this and other forums. I have had great offers from forum members from anything to show some great local rides to places to stay and good local places to eat.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Some really good advice here...

I like to map my route and cities to stay at in advance. Figure about how many miles you want to travel each day. Around 400 miles per day is plenty. Most motels will let you park under cover at the front entrance if you check with them first or if other bikes are there when you arrive. I like to pick lodging with a good place to eat out that evening within walking distance.

You will meet plenty of other riders along the way. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Wow...great stuff. Keep it coming.
What about extra "luggage"?
If you look at my latest trip report, you see that I put a waterproof bag on the passenger seat. It contains my clothes and maybe a pillow. Serves as a full backrest and opens up trunk space for riding layers when riding in changing climates.

I also strap a small cooler on the rack for snacks, cold drinks. The cooler I got has ridges on the bottom so it won't slide around on the rack.

I also carry a couple dry bags that I can use if I have to strip additional items to the bike along the way.

I use ROK straps and/or Arno straps to hold items to the bike.

Many distance riders have heated grips on their bike, and carry a heated vest. I have experienced temps in the 40s in July at elevation.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So far I've read a lot of good information. I currently work swing shift and have a hard time actually going on "good" rides with friends. This is making me think maybe I should go on a solo ride on the 2 weeks straight I have off late July. Subscribed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Back-up batteries for the FOB &/or instructions on how to disable, and the PIN.

HOG, AMA, or your Towing Card of choice.

Copy of Insurance Declarations page. Be certain you meet the limit of coverage requirements for the States you go thru.

Back up CC card, photo copy of Drivers License and registration, in small baggie hidden under seat, side cover, or else where. Maybe the spare key/fob-batteries out - too.

Some form of set up, for hydration as you drive. I use a Kruzer Caddy mounted to left side bar, with a insulated mug from Walmart. Ice and water in it at start. Another in the cooler.

Happy Motoring !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts