Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS, HD 131 Kit, V&H 450, Heavy Breather, Yaffe 12" Bars
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The rain sock is for when the scooter is sitting. It keeps the throttle body from filling with water after the filter is saturated.

Running down the road, the engine just ingests any water that lands on the filter, or sock. And unless you are fording lakes and rivers, its not enough water to greatly effect the way it runs.

For the OP, I would suspect a wet connector. Something out in the weather. The plug on the throttle body is often the issue, but these M8's also have issues with the switch modules on the bars. A look at what the ecm saw might point you to it.
That makes sense. That the sock is for when air is not zooming thru. Switch modules are the bars might be interesting to pursue as well. I do have 12" mini apes so they were definitely getting wet.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS, HD 131 Kit, V&H 450, Heavy Breather, Yaffe 12" Bars
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm not certain what the sock was intended to do, but my experience suggests that it protects air intake adequately during torrential downpours to allow unimpeded running.

Your mileage may vary.
Well said. I sure don't know the details of why, but I ordered one and based on all the feedback suspect it will prevent issues next time around. I am a convert because I would have never suspected it mattered very much. Shows how much I dont know.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
584 Posts
I have a question, pls. Do I need a similar type sock for a stock breather on my 17 RGS?
I've never seen one but you can never have too much protection.
We're heading down to the Tail from NY next week, and I'm sure to get rained on and don't need
any problems....thanks
If the intake is stock with OEM housing I would say you do not need a rain sock in the catalogue socks are offered for upgraded intakes My wife had a stage one with a OEM cover never had a weather issue. Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
212 Posts
My Rain sock is a permanent fixture, which makes me ready for inclement weather anytime!!!! And my wife and I travel a lot, and that sock is it God send. The mechanic put the sock over the air filter, and made sure it was tight very tight. Then he took my very expensive air cleaner and slid it over the sock. You can barely see it unless you're looking for it, but if you look hard enough you can see the Screaming Eagle Logo that's on the sock, through the air cleaner itself. Mechanic told me that you would not be able to tell the difference with the sock on it did not lose any horsepower. When I point that out to a lot of my friends, do the same as well. Just a different Pointe of view. Not everybody wants my style of air cleaner either. But this really works for me, just sayin......
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Motorcycle

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen riding through a downpour near Dalas this spring. I also have the Heavy Breather Elite (the smaller one) and came to the same conclusions on what happened. Does anyone know the part number for the rain Heavy Breather Elite sock ? I could only find the larger one like on Texas Smoker's bike above.

Thanks

21 - 25 of 25 Posts