Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small chip today about the size of a pea on the inside of my saddlebag lid. Looks like the lid has been making contact with the front screw that secures the 4 point docking hardware to fender when I open/close the bag. It's doing it on both sides but it's worse on the right. Never had the docking hardware before so never bothered to look. Anyway, the chip is down to the metal so what is the best way to cover that up? I see Candy Orange touch-up on the web both in small bottles and also in a touch-up pen. Do I also need a bottle of clear coat to go over it? Will the pen method be good enough? Appreciate advise on fixing this as I don't know anything about paint ! Thanks for any advise..

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,701 Posts
OK, size of a pea ... and it's on the inside of the bag lid?

Geeze, and my wife thinks I'm anal about my bike! :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Down to the metal?? on the lid?

I have seen that same rub mark on quite a few of the bikes with the docking hardware, I just looked at my bike and it the same way, but on black its tough to notice.

If you touch it up it will just rub again unless you put a piece of thick clear vinyl sheeting on the area and be more careful when opening/closing the lid as it goes past the hardware.

·
7,701 Posts
First of all I was just teasing you, no need to get fired up. Save the hostility for that other HD Forum site.

Second, I guess we'll need a photo to figure out what you're talking about when you say it's down to the metal? The bags and lids are plastic not metal, so they're not likely to rust. I'd go check it out on my bike to try to figure out what you're talking about but it's mothballed for the winter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm not fired up at you, hell I would agree that I'm somewhat anal about the bike ! Well if the lids aren't metal I guess they won't rust ! Looks like it's down to the plastic then. Here's a pic so you can see what I mean..

Attachments

·
7,701 Posts
OK, now I understand where you're talking about. When you first said "the inside of my saddlebag lid", I thought you literally meant INSIDE the lid, which is why I made the anal comment. Maybe, as Roadhawg suggested, a piece of clear vinyl over the offending fastener ... or a small piece of felt glued to it. Now you got me wondering if my lids have similar scuffing in that spot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well now I need to go check on mine.....Here is my experience with this color...I love the look but it SUCKS to match...Please let me know what you come up with and good luck!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Holy freakin' cow!

Had to go out and look at mine. Fortunately, I guess I have been working the lids open and close without hitting those bolts...

BUT, I have a little air shock valve relocation bracket installed on the bike that moves the valve into a position where the shocks can be filled without having to take the bag off, AND, I can see where the lid is starting to wear there against the valve. Looks like I might have to move it cause it hits no matter how careful I try to open the bag!

Is there a way to space the bags out a little? I think maybe if you space out the front bracket with a 1/8" or 1/4 inch spacer, it might be just enough to keep it from hitting for you.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've got those same chips on mine. 4-point docking hardware installed. A friend with a roadking installed some rubber washers or something on the hardware to prevent it.

I'll try to get him to elaborate on it and I'll report back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts