Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to talk with Rockford Fosgate Customer Support and now I think I have a few more questions than I initially had. I thought I had it all figured out but am finding I am doubting some things.

Set up
2013 RGU
keeping stock HK deck
hdonuts amp mount - got a year or so ago waiting for me to get ready to install this down the road.... finally am ready now
1 - PBR 300 x 4, Rockford 10 guage amp install kit, 30ft 16 gauge rockford speaker wire
4 - Polk audio dxi 651's - putting two speakers up front in the inner fairing, and two speakers in the tourpak pods..... they are 6.5 and I have test fitted them in the speaker pods and they fit great, only issue is the mounting holes dont line up to good so that is easily fixed by a few self tapping / self drilling screws... I did do a seperate thead on these fitting in the pods so maybe we can get a list of what 6.5 speakers everyone has put in the pods with little to no mods or adapters being needed..... ok so anyone on to what I am going to do now that I have talked with the RF Tech....

He recommended that I only use the front speaker wire coming from the HK unit for the amp line inputs and that I then use the amp outputs to the front and rear speakers and make sure the amp is on 2ch.... by 2 channel the inputs are only thing that is changing, basically It only effects the amps inputs and the outputs will remain unchanged... only thing I will not have is the ability to fade... cool by me

so does this sound correct?

also, once I do have everything connected, when I go to set the gains on the amp if I read correctly, I need to make sure all the adjustments ( bass, treble, etc) on the HK unit needs to be at lowest setting, and volume needs to be at half? I just want to make sure this sounds right to you guys? Thanks a ton, I dont like to second guess myself so appriciate all the info before I start on this thing!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Everything you're saying sounds about right.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything you're saying sounds about right.

Sent from my SPH-L710

dbell! I was hoping you would see this, appreciate the back up........ Is there any place in particular you or others tap into the speaker wire from the back of the HK deck? I mean, I just plan on cutting them from right behind the connector that hooks up to the speakers, then from there solder/shrink wrap from the wire off the provided input harness.. and as far as the outputs to the speakers do I need special conectors to hook up to the speakers?

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
What I did when I still had my OEM unit was to match the terminals coming off the speakers with male spade terminals of the same size. I crimped the terminals to a short wire that I connected to the input wires going to the amp. That way if I ever wanted to go back to stock all I have to do is disconnect the terminals and don't have to reattach anything. Does that make sense to you? I better at showing than explaining. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I did when I still had my OEM unit was to match the terminals coming off the speakers with male spade terminals of the same size. I crimped the terminals to a short wire that I connected to the input wires going to the amp. That way if I ever wanted to go back to stock all I have to do is disconnect the terminals and don't have to reattach anything. Does that make sense to you? I better at showing than explaining. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710

hahah dont laugh at me, but I had my 3 yo son draw this for me, I assure you if I drew this, it would look pretty similar to a pic, ya that good.... but my son drew this not me, I swear......... :)

see next reply, will try and add photo different way

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Yes, you have the idea, make sure you have the colors and polarity right. I never thought about drawing it ....... and taking a picture, I guess I could do that when I get home and have time.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you have the idea, make sure you have the colors and polarity right. I never thought about drawing it ....... and taking a picture, I guess I could do that when I get home and have time.

Sent from my SPH-L710

lol hope your skills are better than mine!! so I am using h-donuts mount for the amp, I cut the wire that hooks up to speakers where it will give me just enough to hook into the amp and then take the left over and use some of this 16gauge speaker wire and add two crimp on terminal connecters, one connects to speaker, other end to the male adapter from oem speaker wire left over??

hold on drawing in progress...... to be continued

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Ok, I had a piece of paper so I tried a quick sketch. The squares between wire to amp and to amp connector just represent your splice.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
The Ms are the male terminals and the Fs are the female coming from the radio harness, I would have to wait until I get home and get the manual for the colors.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Banned
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so I have this RF 16 guage speaker wire I got and wanted to make sure this is the correct wire for what I am doing... it just seems a lot thicker, prolly cause of it being insulated so well, but I dont know what I am doing so I think this is better to be answered by some pro audiophiles on this forum....

this speaker wire is what I am planning to use to solder up to the Hi level input harness provided by RF and at the other end will put on the connectors to plug into the OE, left and right speaker connectors ( by speaker connectors I mean the wired connections that phyically plugged up to the left and right speaker

heres the wire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts