Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some help here please. I know I'm going to get a bunch of different opinions, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm looking to upgrade my rear shocks. Not looking to tackle the front end, that may be part of the winter project later.

For the most part, I don't mind the stock ride. My biggest complaint that I'd love to fix, is hitting a bump and bouncing off the seat, or when two up hearing the OL say OW. ( I tried turning up the radio to fix that)

Anyway, my riding style is not agressive. I tend to take off fast, and highway speeds can get up there, but I'm fairly mellow most of the time in the corners and deer infested back roads of SE Pennsylvania.

So, I'm leaning towards the Progressive 944's, they seem to be a cost effective solution given my riding style. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Almost anything is better than stock, there are a few threads on this subject, only thing I'm going to say is progressive is way better than stock, I personally have JRIs because IMO it's better built and suits me........ not going to open the can of worms today, lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I did the DIY Monroe air shocks that has been floating around here for sometime. My girlfriend and I float down the highway and she loves it over the stock shocks. Now if we get to a rough road I can air up or down accordingly.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I was in the same boat. I was on the fence with the 944 but decided to go with JRI's.... they ran 250.00 more than the absolute cheapest price i found on the 944 (@490.00).

I'm VERY happy with the JRI... even my wife commented on how the bike handles bumps now... never had 944's so i can not compare them...

But I can say IMO the JRI were every penny.

D.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
1st off... Have you tried higher air pressure like 40+ lbs especially when 2 up? That won't make it as good as better shocks but it can make it better. I would pick

Ohlins
JRI
Legends

before I would go with Progressive because they are made with much better components. Probably a couple of more out there too. I know a lot of people are happy with Prgressive and they work for them. I am just going off of what I have seen from cut aways and various research.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
852 Posts
You might try a set of 13" Ultra shocks. I had Ohlins #3-3 on my streetglide and they were great. I was able to sell them for almost what I bought them for (I stripped them off the bike when I traded it for the RG). The stock ultra shocks work pretty good for me and the wife. I like the quick adjustability of the air shocks even if their ride is not as quite good as others. I may go with a slightly heavier weight oil in the shock when its time to service the forks. I do that a 20,000 miles instead of the 50 recommended in the maunual. I'll probably go with monotubes in the forks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm runnin' Legend Revo-A's and I really like them. I can set the pre-load, and the dampening. Pretty affordable and simple to install. Just have to play around with the settings to get them right, and then don't touch them again. Also, I dropped in some cartridge emulators for the front suspension. What a world of difference:D

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
As mentioned just about anything is better than stock. I've used Works on all my FXRs & went with them on my RGC. I bought Steel Trackers DRS/ARS & couldn't be happier. Good luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts