Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to move my antennas off my tour pak. Thinking about the hidden one that is am fm web and cb friendly. But does it work? Open for ideas and advise. I want to make my tour pak removeable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hidden one doesn't work for cb and in my neck of the woods not very good . I am talking about the hd hidden antenna . Very short range and much more static than stock . Going back to factory whips for now .I live in SW Louisiana and really don't recommend it for my area.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hidden one doesn't work for cb and in my neck of the woods not very good . I am talking about the hd hidden antenna . Very short range and much more static than stock . Going back to factory whips for now .I live in SW Louisiana and really don't recommend it for my area.
I moved both the AM/FM and CB antennas inside my fairing. It cleans up the Tour Pak.
I found the Harley CB never didn't give the range that the ones I had in my 4 wheel vehicles.
But I installed the J&M CB antenna and found the range was very close to the Harley CB antenna.
As a matter of fact I didn't even need to set the SWR. It was already set.
I bought the cheap AM/FM antenna off eBay. The only thing I found about the AM/FM range was in fringe areas (middle of the desert).

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
How did you clean up the exterior mount on the TP?
I installed the Ultra Light bar using LED lights inplace of the 1157 bulbs.
I took the studs out and put the black Harley Plugs (90493-83) in the holes.
The plugs are used to cover the holes on the Passenger footboard mount.

If you totally remove the antenna mount, they should also cover the holes from the mounts.
Great with a Black Tour Pak.​

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cover the holes

I plan on covering the holes with some bling bling. Harley book has some cool medallions on page 765ish and bond them in place. I will also keep an eye out for an alternate thingy to cover the holes so long as its cool looking.

What I am really looking for are antennas that really work. Oem whips don't seem very good.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I installed the Hogtenna under fairing antenna for just the radio.... it doesn't pick up the radio station, in the radio stations parking lot sitting under the radio tower. I had better reception when I just removed the antenna off the back of the bike and was running without.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I saw on one of the forums where someone took the whip off of the removeable tourpack relocation mount and layed under the seat along the frame and under the tank . In my area the long whips worked well and i ride without the tourpack 50% of the time . I even took it back apart to check the polarity of the 12v connections at the cigarette lighter because I read where some of the lighter sockets had the wires switched from factory . Mine were correct . Once I find an acceptable substitute I plan on cutting the antenna mounts off of the tourpack and moulding the hole over with fiberglass and painting to finish.

Never thought I would use the cb but after my long ride yesturday along the coastline I got back on I-10 and turn the cb on man late at night there was some damn enertaining converstions going on amongst the truck drivers . And it help me avoid debris in the lane I may not have seen . Also 3 different hidden speed traps in the Jennings area .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Far far away

Than a. Will stay away from those. Now for something that does work? I will get something for AM/FM/Wb and something separate for the cb. I haven't used the cb yet but I still want it to work

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Than a. Will stay away from those. Now for something that does work? I will get something for AM/FM/Wb and something separate for the cb. I haven't used the cb yet but I still want it to work
Look at the hidden antenna in the link of my first post. It is for the AM/FM/WB.
I still get the Weather Band with it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have the J&M hidden cb antenna. It's worthless.
I have it and it works. Just remember that it is not a Cell Phone. It does not have much range.
By Law not over 4 miles when any CB is at it's best. And buildings, hills and other obstacles can hurt the range.
I can not say why your's didn't work. But did you contact J&M about it?

·
Registered
745 Posts
It hears ok but guys a quarter mile away cant dig me out of the mud. I figure its tuned for max at channel 20 and since when i do use it its usually on channel 2. the band pass is probably too narrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts