Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thinking about buying a Sony head unit for my 15 road glide (not special). Looking for some advice from those of you that have it or have tried either the 5000 or 7000.

1. With stock speakers and NO amp, will either make the radio 'louder' at highway speeds?
2. Is the 7000 that much better than the 5000? is it worth the extra $$?
3. Is the biketronics 'waterproofing' worth the extra money? We never stop for the rain so water damage is a concern.

If been watching the vids and reading the forums but i'm still not sure if it is worth it. My main reason is to make my radio a little louder at highway speeds, and I would really like the car play and android auto.

Any help or product experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,541 Posts
My experience.
Had a 2017RGS stock stereo, with a tall windshield I could hear most of the songs most of the time under 70mph anything higher it was some of the songs some of the time.
Have a 2019RGS with the sony 7000 stock speakers. With the short windshield the stereo was better than the 2017 was with tall windshield. When I got my 12" kw windshield I was able to hear most of my music up to 80mph with the volume around 3/4-7/8. I have since put DB moto 2 speakers with a Stinger amp and now I can hear all my music at any speed at 1/2-5/8 volume.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Xav-ax5000 for me, 3 years of excellent sound, Google maps, android auto...love it.

The adjustable equalizer allows you to tune it in great, plus the xm antenna is 30 bucks compared to 400 for Harleys junk..

·
Registered
475 Posts
How is the volume on the interstate? is it loud enough?

I have amp and 4 speakers, my oem HU I needed to still have it cranked to hear, now I don't run the Sony above 12 on the volume dial which is very low. So yes the extra power and the adjustability of the Sony will get you better sound, not sure with oem speakers though

One of the best upgrades I did was the Sony HU, been in rain with it and it hasn't missed a beat but if your in lots I would recommend the biketeonics kit that is sealed.

I got mine from Fathead cycles, everything came plug and play, installed and jamming tunes in 30 minutes.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,280 Posts
There are numerous amps you can buy for less than $200. That, and a $300 - 400 pair of speakers in the fairing will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
453 Posts
1. No
2. No
3. No

And the 7000 is deeper than the 5k so if you’re trying to jam a bunch of stuff in there it takes up more real estate.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know the CarPlay/Android Auto is super attractive but if you spend more than 5 days a year riding in the rain, this may not be the upgrade for you. The HU isn’t terrible and you don’t have to worry about rain. With either Sony, even a “waterproofed” one, it’s not an if but a when. Take the money from a Sony, get a decent little amp and 4 decent speakers and you’ll have everything you’re looking for, minus the Android Auto. Just my .02

·
Registered
475 Posts
I know the CarPlay/Android Auto is super attractive but if you spend more than 5 days a year riding in the rain, this may not be the upgrade for you. The HU isn’t terrible and you don’t have to worry about rain. With either Sony, even a “waterproofed” one, it’s not an if but a when. Take the money from a Sony, get a decent little amp and 4 decent speakers and you’ll have everything you’re looking for, minus the Android Auto. Just my .02

Again this is like shocks and tires..everyone has a different opinion. The Pros the Sony brings vs the 2015-2019 OEM HU is night and day. I have been in some pretty nasty downpours, bike sat out in rain ect not an issue. the speed it starts up, the simple interface, the sound ect..

yes there is a chance it could fail, but so can the Harley HU, I have a friend who had to but a new unit becuase it burnt out internally, and ill just say I could put 3 XAV units in for the price he paid the HD unit.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Again this is like shocks and tires..everyone has a different opinion. The Pros the Sony brings vs the 2015-2019 OEM HU is night and day. I have been in some pretty nasty downpours, bike sat out in rain ect not an issue. the speed it starts up, the simple interface, the sound ect..

yes there is a chance it could fail, but so can the Harley HU, I have a friend who had to but a new unit becuase it burnt out internally, and ill just say I could put 3 XAV units in for the price he paid the HD unit.

Make no mistake, I agree on all points that there are advantages. I run the 5000. Let’s not forget to mention that in direct sunlight it’s impossible to see. I accept the shortcomings along with the advantages of the Sony willingly. To the OPs original question, will it sound better— no, not without an amp. Is the waterproofing worth the money - no. He made a mention about rain so my only point is that he can easily add an amp and speakers and get down the road with the stock HU. It’ll perform solidly and you can have LESS concern about a water issue.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I don’t have any experience with the 5000, I do have the 7000 in 2 bikes. Never thought about waterproofing it, been caught in a few downpours, no problem at all. It has more power than the stock unit, but I would still advise getting an amp and better speakers. It is hard to see in direct sunlight, I bought a screen shield which helps a lot, still not perfect. The 7000 is much better than the stock unit, the only thing I miss is the weather band, which was hit and miss anyway and the connection to some functions of the bike.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Make no mistake, I agree on all points that there are advantages. I run the 5000. Let’s not forget to mention that in direct sunlight it’s impossible to see. I accept the shortcomings along with the advantages of the Sony willingly. To the OPs original question, will it sound better— no, not without an amp. Is the waterproofing worth the money - no. He made a mention about rain so my only point is that he can easily add an amp and speakers and get down the road with the stock HU. It’ll perform solidly and you can have LESS concern about a water issue.
yes visibility is a pain, I can see my screen fine 90% of the time, but when the high sun in mid summer going straight north you ain't seeing it...but I sure can hear it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts