Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that "EVERYONE" loves this radio for the Road Glide, Street Glide, but, when it comes to the Road Glide SPECIAL, there's always a "BUT"......

BUT, the "BUT" never get's explained, or if it does, it goes over my head....

WHAT is the drawback to putting this unit in my 2018 Road Glide Special....

Yes, I know I have the "BIGGER" Unit, with the bigger screens, but, what, if anything, am I losing over the Stock Boom System????

Thanks...

Gene

·
Registered
474 Posts
If I’m not wrong you are gonna loose the “information” page (oil pressure and air temperature indication)
The other issue is the “marine” waterproof, but biketronik seems to offer a dedicated kit to solve the problem

·
Registered
840 Posts
You are also going to lose the built-in navigation of the Boom 6.5 and have to depend on Google maps on your phone, which makes you dependent upon cell phone service...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Wasn't there something about losing controls on the bars or some of them or different functions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
If I’m not wrong you are gonna loose the “information” page (oil pressure and air temperature indication)
The other issue is the “marine” waterproof, but biketronik seems to offer a dedicated kit to solve the problem
You lose oil pressure info that only tells you "OK" its useless anyway, and something I myself never looked at, and unless you have a non smartphone, you can use Android Auto and Apple Carplay, that will have way better weather info anyway

You are also going to lose the built-in navigation of the Boom 6.5 and have to depend on Google maps on your phone, which makes you dependent upon cell phone service...

I use Android Auto and utilize the Google Maps and WAZE navigation, its a hell of a lot easier to use and updated with current info better than the Harley stuff...just MHO Plus you can use offline maps that are just basic. Again I rode many years without a screen to tell me where to go so if I lose it its not the end of the world

Wasn't there something about losing controls on the bars or some of them or different functions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
if you use a plug and play kit form Fat head cycles or Biketronics your control work for scanning music, volume, switching input.

Advantages are the superb sound quality, processor speed, dual USB, faster touch screen

·
Registered
74 Posts

Waze will work on the Sony

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yes, the HD head unit only shows oil as ok, but it does warn of low oil pressure, if that was ever to happen. Not saying that is a show stopper, just info.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Stay out of any rain. And Sony's do fail had the high end one in wife's car repaired twice . And the one in mt car is no prize.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, the HD head unit only shows oil as ok, but it does warn of low oil pressure, if that was ever to happen. Not saying that is a show stopper, just info.
On the 15, 16 bikes its does give oil pressure. Harley hooked you up on the newer bikes with OK. :grin:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There are add on oil pressure gauges for the twin cam and M8 bikes available. Do you really need it...probably not. Can you check your oil pressure on a Sportster, Softail or RK and have them say "ok"? There's an idiot light on the speedo of our bikes that will also tell you "ok". Just my $.02. It really is a badass radio alternative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts