Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine and I recently swapped out the stock head unit for a sony ms60 and added a hawg wired 150 watt amp with 2 hertz 200 watt 6.5" speakers on his 13 glide. I have the stock head unit and the boom audio upgrade 5.25 " speakers in my 12 glide. The difference in sound is minimal to the point that he does'nt believe his sounds any better than mine. So my question would be does any one think there is a problem with the setup? Because the difference between $1,200.00 and $125.00 there should be a huge difference in sound and sound quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Wow, if I were your friend I'd be just a little POd, did he adjust the gain on the amp properly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were not sound guys so were fairly ignorant when it come to audio so we were hoping to get some good advice on what to do. Didnt see any place to adjust the amp.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
were not sound guys so were fairly ignorant when it come to audio so we were hoping to get some good advice on what to do. Didnt see any place to adjust the amp.
Ok, if it's the Hawgwired 150 watt amp, I'm going to assume it's a PSC1502. If that's the case, there are two pots (adjustments) to the right of the power input and fuse. The adjustment furthest to the right is to adjust the gain.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
That's actually a 120 watt amp I beleive 60 watts per channel at 4 ohms, not a whole lot more than the HK head unit. What is the impeadance of the speakers, (2 or 4 ohm)? It would probably be a good idea to contact Hawgwired, IMO I don't know if he's going to be able to get much more sound, looks like a might be an expensive lesson, one good reason to shop around and check the forums. I hoe all works out, I'll be keeping track of the thread. Also another thing to keep in mind, if he's driving 200 watt speakers with a 120 watt amp there is a lot of loss potential there.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
so a bigger amp is what he needs bought the amp for a 100.00 used
You can buy a new RF PBR 300x2 for around $160 shipped that will really make a difference, also Hawgwired just came out with a new CS300 amp, but it will cost a little more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would that 120 amp do much for the boom system i am running with the stock head unit ? Maybe I could help him out wth the upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
would that 120 amp do much for the boom system i am running with the stock head unit ? Maybe I could help him out wth the upgrade.
Problem is your stock system has 2 ohm speakers, the amp being 4 ohms would be always overworking, if it were the other way around (amp 2 ohm and speakers 4 ohm) no problem. I'm sure you Boom speakers are 2 ohm also, so I wouldn't recommend you use that amp.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
how hard is it to wire the RF PBR?i dont imagine its plug and play?
Not plug and play, but pretty simple to wire. I'm sure there is a thread on here with step by step instructions. Several people on this forum, including myself have PBR amps.

·
Registered
875 Posts
how hard is it to wire the RF PBR?i dont imagine its plug and play?
Just installed over the holidays the PBR300x2, hawgwired ZX's in stock location and added a set of Pioneer's to inner fairing. Ran Hawgs and Pioneers in parallel. 4 OHM speakers with amp at 2 OHM. Not hard to wire, used the pigtails that came with amp and soldered connections, then taped it all up nice and neat.

Nice website explains audio for those like myself that are audio challenged. http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's actually a 120 watt amp I beleive 60 watts per channel at 4 ohms, not a whole lot more than the HK head unit. What is the impeadance of the speakers, (2 or 4 ohm)? It would probably be a good idea to contact Hawgwired, IMO I don't know if he's going to be able to get much more sound, looks like a might be an expensive lesson, one good reason to shop around and check the forums. I hoe all works out, I'll be keeping track of the thread. Also another thing to keep in mind, if he's driving 200 watt speakers with a 120 watt amp there is a lot of loss potential there.
after talking to hawg wired i think we got it figured out.i bought everything new except for the hawg wired amp i purchased from a friend,so i didnt have an instruction manual.i didnt have the amp connected to the radio output through rca/3.5 mil plug to back of amp.after getting the $4.00 cable and plugging it in,its hitting pretty good now.those guys at hawg wired talked to me for 20 minutes trying to figure out my problem without making me feel like i was bugging them.thats good service.good service is hard to find these days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts